Another New 521 Owner

Ratatouille

Hello Ratsun!  I recently found a 521 in New Mexico and was fortunate enough to be able to pick it up.  I am learning a lot searching this site and decided to create my first post to introduce myself.  I am not very mechanically inclined but I'm willing to learn and get my hands dirty; my dad helps me a lot when it comes time to work on my cars.  Since I see that you all enjoy pictures, here are a few:

Driving it home to Colorado:

IMG_1440_zpsb8fddee4.jpg

Finally in my driveway:

4942f753-99f7-45ae-84f7-512453d004d2_zps

IMG_0413_zps7e40eb98.jpg

IMG_0411_zps893bf90a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well welcome aboard you got your first like from.Like matt said already and what year 71 or 72,looks like you got a original driver side rear view mirror also very good,get some pics of the inside under hood and so forth nice truck.

And judging by the over spray on the rear plate bracket i am going to say its a repaint.But still nice truck. :thumbup:

"Driving it home to Colorado"  That's a very good start!  Don't be in a hurry to start ripping it apart to "improve" it.  Drive it as is and learn to appreciate it's good points and make a record of what you would like it's performance to be improved.  Then check other builds here to see what mischief and agonies may await you.  Good luck, it looks great.

• Like 1

"Driving it home to Colorado"  That's a very good start!  Don't be in a hurry to start ripping it apart to "improve" it.  Drive it as is and learn to appreciate it's good points and make a record of what you would like it's performance to be improved.  Then check other builds here to see what mischief and agonies may await you.  Good luck, it looks great.

Amen to that brother,wait what you talking about.lol

• Like 1

Hey Guys, thanks for the welcome.  That is indeed my truck, I did pick it up in Roswell, NM.  It is a '72 and unfortunately the paint is not original, but they did a good job with the repaint.  It is in a very stock condition - it has a numbers matching L16 engine.

I am really liking this little truck as is and enjoy driving it around town, so I am in no hurry to make drastic "improvements".  I just want to make a few changes:  Lower it and maybe convert to disc brakes.

I will post pictures of the interior and engine bay as soon as I can.

• Like 1

The guy on Craigslist wanted 3k - I negotiated it down a bit.

Here are more pictures along with things I'd like to fix:

1. I'd like to reupholster the seat:

IMG_0434_zpsc2dd8ca8.jpg

2. The floors are in good shape, just need to clean them up.

IMG_0436_zps179c65e3.jpg

IMG_0437_zps0c6a9ef9.jpg

3. Engine picture, need to tie-down the battery, check out the windshield washer pump, and get things cleaned up

IMG_0442_zpsc01aef3c.jpg

4. There is a hole in the front tube of the exhaust piping, so the truck is quite loud right now.

IMG_0451_zps52a58de1.jpg

5. The temperature gauge isn't working, the other gauges work fine.

IMG_0439_zpsb9d94a2d.jpg

A couple other pictures:

IMG_0435_zps86470b12.jpg

IMG_0445_zpsc6c9d868.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good.  Here is the part for the steering column that mrbigtanker is referring to.  This seller is a member here so you may want to message him and ask for a ratsun deal ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-520-521-steering-column-cover-/291026075577?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c2817fb9&vxp=mtr

Really nice truck.  A few random thoughts.

Turn the black plastic door handle upside down, and it will slowly sag back straight.  Especially in summer.

In the engine picture, the wire going to the temp sender looks broken, at the connection.  With the key on, engine off, grounding this wire to the engine block should make the temp sender go full hot.

Post 203 on this page, I show how I repaired battery hold down's and then made another. 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/page-11

Post 244 on this page, I make the "J" bolt to hold the battery hold down.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/page-13

• 2 weeks later...

Great find,

I have this same truck in the original pistacio green. I kept the old clunky bumper because people in Oakland drive like total sh!t and was rear ended the second week I had it, everything is fine though. The greatest thing I did for my truck was pull out that stock hitachi carb and put in a weber 32/34 with manual choke, it now gets 26mpg, its not super fast but very peppy, doesn't need disc brakes at the moment. Be careful with the radiator fan, those old plastic ones will explode and destroy the radiator especially if its's been sitting in the NM heat for 40 years, mine did, I pulled one off an older mercedes 280 sel, that black german plastic is way tougher.

Good deal yo

• 2 weeks later...