Not origional.... Damn!

jmunky90

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you say you dont wanna cut it up....putting an rb in it will require a SHITLOAD of cutting why not go with a ka? easier to find cheaper almost the same displacement if not more depending on the rb alot more parts available over the counter at a parts house and the topper it fucking fits i dont understand why all these people wanna stuff an rb into a 4 cyl datto the only state side datsuns an rb will fit in without significant cutting are the z cars and the 810/910 maxima if your like me and cant justify a swap without gaining more cylinders go with a vg30 same advantages as the ka and even more displacement though from what ive seen in a certain build thread on here stuffing one in a 620 is a challenge

btw a numbers matching datsun isnt special no matter how you slice it most of the world still sees these cars as disposable and they dont give a shit if the original motor is in the car or not 

But the problem is, why put several hundred dollars into rebuilding a stock 18 when i could put that money into the swap?  is anyone going to want to buy the 18 when i pull it back out?

But if it had the original L16 it would make sense??? I do not get this at all. You're going to hack up a good 620 to stick a motor in that does not fit?

73-74s were L18 stock. 

I think you should just rock it. 

Stick the RB somewhere else. 

Up to Sept '73 were L16 motors.

October '73 (making it a '74 model year) to Aug '74 were equipped with L18s

Look on the driver's door jam for the build date stamped into the tag. Oct '73 on... is a '74 model year.  A '74 L18 will have a transmission that is 31.5" long. The  earlier L16 had a 26" transmission with a removable oil pan that looks like this...

If you have this then it's likely the motor was swapped.

7104spdremoval003Large.jpg

Guest Rick-rat

You are not going to have an "original" truck unless you can find one that was put into controlled storage with only 20 miles on it. So just fix what you have and enjoy tooling around in a somewhat original truck. If it has a good sound body and floorboards please don't screw it up. Nobody gives a shit if the numbers don't match

Mine is original except for the tires, wheels, disc brakes, weber carb, paint, radio, stock tach, electronic ignition, and the rear end gears, and numerous small items that have worn out B) 

RB engines are so awesome

In things that took an inline 6.

FJ20 FTW.

Honestly, I am a mega Nissan head, and I would rather see you shoehorn an LS1 in that thing. I absolutely hate the LS1 swap, but at least that might make some semblance of sense. An RB26 makes virtually no sense, get a different vehicle for it. Most of us are tired of seeing cars hackjobed for an engine that makes the vehicle worse in every way except a straight line.

Pistons don't add "performance".  They increase or decrease compression based on the amount of dish/dome.  Piston design/material is important if you've increased power and need something with different heat and strength, but unless you're shoving a lot of forced induction in, stock-type pistons are fine, so you simply have to choose pistons to get the desired compression ratio.

Ok, i see we definitely have a consensus here.  So what are the best pistons available for the 18 that will be good for a daily driver but still offer some added performance and aren't too god awful expensive?

I merged your original post on this truck to the beginning of this one. It's in chronological order anyway and keeps it all together.

If you are looking for some easy power like 10-15hp and more torque. Find an L20B motor and rebuild it. L16/18/20B will all cost about the same to do so. The added displacement will give you way more power than anything you could do to your L18. Car or truck L20B will work ... you have the truck oil pan and exhaust manifold. Just rebuild it.

$3500 is a great price for that. 

Yea. I am looking for a donor for another 4x4 conversion . This one was way to nice to cut up.

I have to agree with the group . The RB is just the wrong engine for the 620.

Look you've got an 1800 .

My slant is: keep it simple. 

Build up a proper SSS clone. Simple to do, direct fit, cheaper ,  and a fun little screamer. You'll be happy.

A bit overkill but would work. Stock pistons are more than strong enough for a stock or even modified motor. Save the money and put into a new 32/36 weber or cam.

I still say for the same re-build price do an L20B and an instant 10+ hp. Cam and carb increase on top of that.

Like I've said before. It's not a  "MoPar". So matching numbers cracks me up. It's a freakin Datsun no one cares.

But cut it up for an RB swap is even funnier to me. Just rock the L18 and be happy.

• Like 1

NAPA auto parts:

Part Number: ATK 311B

Product Line: NAPA IronClad

Attributes:
Complete Engine Size & Type : Nissan L20b Rd. Comp Eng
Warranty:See Manufacturer's Complete Written Policy

Warranty PDF

At $1465 / a pretty Good deal on a new engine. All of you're externals accept the clutch and flywheel will fit.

NAPA auto parts:

Part Number: ATK 311B

Product Line: NAPA IronClad

Attributes:
Complete Engine Size & Type : Nissan L20b Rd. Comp Eng
Warranty:See Manufacturer's Complete Written Policy

Warranty PDF

At $1465 / a pretty Good deal on a new engine. All of you're externals accept the clutch and flywheel will fit.

What? 

I wonder what head it will have on it.