Veterans Day

Guest Rick-rat

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick-rat

Thanks to all those that served. There are a ton of places out there that give free or discounted items out for veterans and sometimes their guests. 

Thank you Applebees for free lunch today

• Like 1

Japanese Flag from WWII. My Dad was in the 1st Calvary Division during WWII. He was Command Sergeant Major, Communication Chief for Headquarters Troop and had a half track command car full of communications equipment. When they weren't in battle against the Japanese, my Dad's unit would have fun by drag racing their half tracks against Jeeps and Sherman Tanks. " I am my father's son, race what you got."  Which type of vehicle won depended on how rough or muddy the drag strip was. My Dad was involved in the South Pacific island hopping, starting in Strathpine, Queensland Australia. He loved Australia, and being a Texan, the Australians loved him. The Australians thought everyone in Texas had an oil well, rode a horse and carried a gun. OK, not every Texan has an oil well and a horse. Dad only lacked the oil well. He went through New Guinea, to the Admiralty Islands Campaign, and the invasion of Leyte. Then they moved on to Luzon to launch the flying column assault on Manilla, Philippines. They were ordered to liberate the U.S. prisoners at Santa Tomas University in Manilla at the utmost speed. The entire 1st Calvary Division was barreling down the the highway to Manilla at full speed and would overtake Japanese Army trucks and personnel. The Japanese troops would pull over to the side of the road, watch the entire 1st Calvary Division go blowing past them at full speed, turn around and haul ass in the opposite direction when the 1st Team had disappeared down the highway. They assaulted the Santa Tomas interment camp liberating some 3,700 internees. This flag was taken from the Santa Tomas prison camp. My Dad was in the first wave of the occupation of Tokyo. He came back to the U S to raise his family and bought my 1972 Datsun 1200 brand new for $1971.00. My Dad took a lot of crap from his peers for buying a Japanese car in 1972. Less than 30 years after the war, a lot of people had a big problem with buying Japanese. I was 11 years old and remember this confrontation like it was yesterday. Dad bought the Datsun and his friend, also a WWII vet, was furious. My Dad's friend said, "HOW COULD YOU BUY THIS CAR???!! YOU SPENT THE ENTIRE WAR TRYING TO KILL THESE PEOPLE WHILE THEY WERE TRYING TO KILL YOU!!!!!"  My Dad's reply was,"You've got to stop living in the past. This car is the future. Get used to it." My Dad was a very wise man. So you now know how much this little car means to me,

DSCN1333_zps482d83e6.jpg

Dad's Command Communications Center in Australia before the island hopping campaign during WWII.

DocImage5_zps977f4e9d.jpg

Dad with his horse Cow Pony. 1st Calvary troopers actually had horses before WWII. Dad got his marksmanship medal shooting an Army issue 1911 .45ACP pistol while riding his horse at a full gallop. Born in North Texas 1918, it helped that he grew up in the Great Depression and a horse was his primary means of transportation. He had to shoot rabbits for the family to eat on his way home from school. Amazing, kids took guns to school to to bring some rabbits home so the family wouldn't starve and there was no violence in the schools. We are so soft. If we had to survive under those conditions we would be in big trouble. The Greatest Generation is a fitting tribute to the people who literally saved the world from tyranny

5718ef47-33d6-4338-b576-14d94efffe68_zps

Finally, thanks Dad for your service. You passed 15 years ago but your wisdom is with me every day. I wanted to serve my country like you did, but you said that was forbidden. You said that you served enough for the both of us. You do what a Command Sergeant Major tells you to do if you are smart. I try to make up the difference by doing community service. For those of you who have served in the military, I thank you for your service.

• Like 2

Indeed, thanks go out to all those who served and are serving.  I went over to my buddy Mike's today and fixed his Honda.  He did two tours in Falluja and I'm happy he came back with all his fingers and toes.

• Like 2

Japanese Flag from WWII. My Dad was in the 1st Calvary Division during WWII. He was Command Sergeant Major, Communication Chief for Headquarters Troop and had a half track command car full of communications equipment. When they weren't in battle against the Japanese, my Dad's unit would have fun by drag racing their half tracks against Jeeps and Sherman Tanks. " I am my father's son, race what you got."  Which type of vehicle won depended on how rough or muddy the drag strip was. My Dad was involved in the South Pacific island hopping, starting in Strathpine, Queensland Australia. He loved Australia, and being a Texan, the Australians loved him. The Australians thought everyone in Texas had an oil well, rode a horse and carried a gun. OK, not every Texan has an oil well and a horse. Dad only lacked the oil well. He went through New Guinea, to the Admiralty Islands Campaign, and the invasion of Leyte. Then they moved on to Luzon to launch the flying column assault on Manilla, Philippines. They were ordered to liberate the U.S. prisoners at Santa Tomas University in Manilla at the utmost speed. The entire 1st Calvary Division was barreling down the the highway to Manilla at full speed and would overtake Japanese Army trucks and personnel. The Japanese troops would pull over to the side of the road, watch the entire 1st Calvary Division go blowing past them at full speed, turn around and haul ass in the opposite direction when the 1st Team had disappeared down the highway. They assaulted the Santa Tomas interment camp liberating some 3,700 internees. This flag was taken from the Santa Tomas prison camp. My Dad was in the first wave of the occupation of Tokyo. He came back to the U S to raise his family and bought my 1972 Datsun 1200 brand new for $1971.00. My Dad took a lot of crap from his peers for buying a Japanese car in 1972. Less than 30 years after the war, a lot of people had a big problem with buying Japanese. I was 11 years old and remember this confrontation like it was yesterday. Dad bought the Datsun and his friend, also a WWII vet, was furious. My Dad's friend said, "HOW COULD YOU BUY THIS CAR???!! YOU SPENT THE ENTIRE WAR TRYING TO KILL THESE PEOPLE WHILE THEY WERE TRYING TO KILL YOU!!!!!"  My Dad's reply was,"You've got to stop living in the past. This car is the future. Get used to it." My Dad was a very wise man. So you now know how much this little car means to me,

DSCN1333_zps482d83e6.jpg

Dad's Command Communications Center in Australia before the island hopping campaign during WWII.

DocImage5_zps977f4e9d.jpg

Dad with his horse Cow Pony. 1st Calvary troopers actually had horses before WWII. Dad got his marksmanship medal shooting an Army issue 1911 .45ACP pistol while riding his horse at a full gallop. Born in North Texas 1918, it helped that he grew up in the Great Depression and a horse was his primary means of transportation. He had to shoot rabbits for the family to eat on his way home from school. Amazing, kids took guns to school to to bring some rabbits home so the family wouldn't starve and there was no violence in the schools. We are so soft. If we had to survive under those conditions we would be in big trouble. The Greatest Generation is a fitting tribute to the people who literally saved the world from tyranny

5718ef47-33d6-4338-b576-14d94efffe68_zps

Finally, thanks Dad for your service. You passed 15 years ago but your wisdom is with me every day. I wanted to serve my country like you did, but you said that was forbidden. You said that you served enough for the both of us. You do what a Command Sergeant Major tells you to do if you are smart. I try to make up the difference by doing community service. For those of you who have served in the military, I thank you for your service.

Does he still have that Colt 1911 by any chance. :w00t:   And awesome story caption with old pics i love this stuff.