What's a 1983 720 Worth??

akpasta

I'm thinking of buying a truck, and I really like the old Datsuns. A friend of mine has a 1983 720 upgraded with a rebuilt Z-engine, 5-speed. It runs great, I've driven it. He says he put $7k into it over the years. He is also the 2nd owner of the car, claims to have paperwork. He's asking 3200 for it and says it would be like buying a new car, basically. I don't know much about Datsuns but I do know some of them are collectible. What do they usually go for? It looks very nice too btw.

What would I look at paying for one on the open market with the original engine?

Thank you. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's looking to bail, and he's willing to take less than 50 cents on the dollar.  :crying:

Or he's inflating the cost of what he's done to it by including every fill-up, oil change, insurance payment, etc... 

It's worth what you think it's worth.  Sans pictures you'll get answers all over the place, but my opinion is, and it's just an opinion, that for $3200 that truck would have to be showroom quality.  Others may say $3200 for a clean one with a relatively fresh engine isn't bad, I don't know.  You described what sounds to me like a $1500 truck.  Price range for the area seems to be $700 - $4500 (ok, the $4500 one is in Oregon and is a diesel and the guy is insane thinking its worth that)  but I see a bunch in the $2000 range that are clean 4X4s.

For an average 83 720 I would pay no more that a thousand. If its really nice I wouldn't pay over 1500. But that's just me.

This

I've had 10 720s. They just aren;t high in value, right now.  i see people asking 3+ k for a used pickup. not bad, not good. just used truck with 200+ miles and no maintenance records...  No thanks.  Ill pay 1000 or less for one, just cuz that will give me extra spending money to fix the shit that breaks.

4x4s I will cough up 1500 for...

Ya, I mean, this one has a fully rebuilt Z engine and drives great. Maybe it's worth something for that, but I see y'alls point.

Oh by the way, the "bay area tax" adds hundreds to just about any purchase.... just fucking becaus

when you say rebuilt, what do you mean? like taken to a shop and he has receipts rebuilt or he did it himself in the driveway rebuilt? if done by a shop does it have a transferable warranty? if so add maybe another 200 but thats about it. these trucks are just not high dollar trucks. part of the reason i like em :thumbup: