1968 510 experts

AZhitman

Ok guys, this one is a stumper so far.  My '68 Dime is pretty much finished, except for a couple minor things.

So far, I'm having a hell of a time finding a proper ashtray for the car.  

I've bought 2 or 3 from Datsun people (via Facebook and Ratsun), and so far, none has been right (I'm amassing a pretty weird collection of non-68 510 ashtrays).

Here's the dash opening:

68_510_ashtray.jpg

As you can see, it's wider than the later 510 ashtrays, with a distinct offset of the front panel to the passenger side.  It's also not very deep (top to bottom), because otherwise it would block access to the manual heater vent lever. 

Does anyone have one laying around?  

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide - Much appreciated.

-Greg

• Like 2
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be a 1968 only ashtray, not the same as the 69.  If you are buying from a parts car, ask the seller to check the heater/air controls on the dash.....should be horizontal controls for the 68 (the 69 controls were vertical).  Any early production 1968 2dr 4dr or Wagon will be tha same.  Good luck!

Some guys used to pull out the earlier dashboards and install the later round-dial dash. Why, I don't know, but they did. Sooo you may be able to find someone who has a dash sitting around for this reason. As you're finding out, a lot of parts for the 68 can be hard to find. I have probably 5 ashtrays for the later cars, but none for either 68 or 69.

Have you tried Rod at Rod's Datsun yet? Or the guys at Classic Datsun? If Rod doesn't have it, you probably won't find it.

Might not be a bad idea to grab an entire dash if you can, this way you'll have spares of everything, and it will come in handy in the future.

DSCN4302_Medium_.JPG

Yah my dad has a very early 68 dash. 000370 car number. Everyone says Canadian car. It's not we know the original owner that bought it from the dealership. Always amazing how the early 68s can have some really oddball shit. Even he found out today the heater is some funky one. Cars been off the road since 78. And I asked no spare ash tray sorry buddy.

Yah my dad has a very early 68 dash. 000370 car number. Everyone says Canadian car. It's not we know the original owner that bought it from the dealership. Always amazing how the early 68s can have some really oddball shit. Even he found out today the heater is some funky one. Cars been off the road since 78. And I asked no spare ash tray sorry buddy.

If a Canadian '68 it would have had amber rear turn signal lights...

68Canadian510Large.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some guys used to pull out the earlier dashboards and install the later round-dial dash. Why, I don't know, but they did. Sooo you may be able to find someone who has a dash sitting around for this reason. As you're finding out, a lot of parts for the 68 can be hard to find. I have probably 5 ashtrays for the later cars, but none for either 68 or 69.

Have you tried Rod at Rod's Datsun yet? Or the guys at Classic Datsun? If Rod doesn't have it, you probably won't find it.

Might not be a bad idea to grab an entire dash if you can, this way you'll have spares of everything, and it will come in handy in the future.

DSCN4302_Medium_.JPG

This is actually a photo I took of a 68 USDM dash that came out of a 4 door many years ago. Funny that it should surface here after all these years.

I'm personally very partial to the early dashes myself. I even brought back in a 69 SSS coupe dash from a trip to Australia to install in my Bronze car. That dash panel fit quite well in a Canadian 68 dash frame.

I wish you luck on your search, something is bound to come up. 

Byron 

Edited by Byron510

Thanks Byron - Still on the hunt.

Rod thought he might have one, but didn't.

I may wind up trying to fabricate something from a later ashtray frame, rather than hold my breath.  

• 2 weeks later...