720 , because drift truck

It's your truck. Do what you want.

I didn't read all this shit. Are you going to actually race this dirty truck? Or just go out an fuck around in the dirt like the above pics?  Do what you want, it's your truck. your creation.  I see a lot of people quick to jump your shit on how you do your truck.  Crazy, wonder if they have any investment into this monetarily or just time reading your thread?  Didn't think so. Keep doing whatever you want to you truck dude. It's yours. Besides, if you fuck yours up mines worth more cuz there's one less :rofl:

I remember an orange 210 receiving criticism. Then when dude sold it they all cried cuz the Pumpkn was leaving its creator.

However, if it were mine. I would trim the hole up with a grinder a bit to smooth it out. Looks like a law suit waiting to happen by some dumbass kid having to touch it.  But meh! Do what you do.  Also, are there a lot of those in your area? if so maybe find something already half fucked up to cut up instead of cutting up nice ones :lol:  Then you can store that perfect hood on the wall of your garage for art until you want to put it on on a rainy day.  That' thing is just waiting for water to get in your carb and get sucked into your intake.

I don't plan to race it haha just slide around on dirt roads and gravel parking lots , and snow here soon :) , then hopefully by summer it will be ready for asphalt. Then ideally it will blow up and and I'll find a v8 or something to put in it
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a rear facing hood scoop on. Panhard bar not really needed on a leaf spring rear end. Coil spring and link yes.

Would the panhard bar still stiffen the rear with leaf springs(like axle moving side to side)? It feels like there's a lot of said movement , what should I do to reduce it ? short of a coil spring/link set up

You can make a rear sway bar. Yello620 did it on his truck.  It helped quite a bit. But you can get hardbody leaf springs, that will do wonders. they are stiffer. Or, get 720 4x4 leaf springs, you get a 2" drop with those, they are stiffer. Also, gas shocks or air-adjust rear shocks.

Then ideally it will blow up and and I'll find a v8 or something to put in it

good luck with that, these motors are bullet proof! i have tried to kill them before and failed every time. but it is a blast trying :devil:  :rofl:

instead of going v8 why not build a nice lz? i had a 720 pickup with a v8 and it was actually not much fun.the ass end was too light so you couldnt use the power. you would just spin tire.

great if all you do is trailer it to the track but to drive it on the street sucked.

Would the panhard bar still stiffen the rear with leaf springs(like axle moving side to side)? It feels like there's a lot of said movement , what should I do to reduce it ? short of a coil spring/link set up

I think you will find the leaf springs do a pretty good job of supplying lateral support, more so as they flatten out. The movement you feel is likely sidewall flex. Grab the box and shove sideways back and forth. You should be able to get the truck rocking. Take a look at what the tires are doing. Lower profile tires will help.

• Like 1

good luck with that, these motors are bullet proof! i have tried to kill them before and failed every time. but it is a blast trying :devil:  :rofl:

instead of going v8 why not build a nice lz? i had a 720 pickup with a v8 and it was actually not much fun.the ass end was too light so you couldnt use the power. you would just spin tire.

great if all you do is trailer it to the track but to drive it on the street sucked.

lz ? sorry I don't know what motor you're talking about ?

Very basically, power is made by the head. It contains the cam and valves and the design of the ports dictates how much and how fast fuel and air can flow through it. Also known as 'breathing'. The Z series, while a perfect design for every day driving, power and pollution control, is not a good design for improving power. Truth is it doesn't 'breath' very well when revved up and has limitations.

An earlier L series head (which has a better design) can breath better and will bolt to the Z series blocks. This makes it in simple terms a larger or 'stroker' L series motor. A z series block with an L series head on is known as an LZ motor. Also a Frankenstein or L/Z hybrid motor.

Well easy to say but you'll have to do some research and figgure out for yourself if worth all the trouble.

For one the intake and exhaust manifolds on the L series are on the driver's side.

You will need an L intake and carb and exhaust manifolds.

The Z series motors and tilted or leaning about 18-20 degrees to the driver's side compared to the L series so manifold clearance is a problem. You can convert the Z series block over to the L series position but now the Z oil pan and transmission are out of whack.

The top of your Z24 timing chain cover does not exactly match the shape of the L head.

This is doable if you have an L20B motor (with mounts) and preferably a transmission from a 620. This will give you all the parts needed except the modified timing cover. Compression will be 9.47.

What datzenmike said take care and have pride in your nissan/datsun. These cars and trucks are becoming harder and harder to find. Especially body parts/panels that are in good shape. You can have a perfect looking truck and still drift. And if you do wanna drift i suggest collecting a whole punch of body parts because crashes are bound to happen. And i wouldn't lower that 720 with torsion bars all the way. Get drop spindles. If i were to build a drift truck, which im saving money for. Id get 240sx s13 subframes and modify that shit to the 720 chasis. Look up chad copeland. He did an excellent job on building his drift truck.

• Like 1

well here's my parts list that I'll be saving for , so far . any problems or other things I should get while I'm at it ? remember I'm new to all this , I didn't know what torsion bars were until I googled how to lower my truck . . .

: prothane complete bushing kit, leaf spring bushing/shackle kit, upper and lower ball joints, drop spindles, gas shocks for lowered truck?(suggestions?),motor mounts and transmission mounts(are there stiffer aftermarket ones ?), hardbody leaf springs, alignment

my goal would be freshen up the suspension, replace wear parts and basically get it ready for an alignment. few things I'm not sure about :

1. I think I'd be looking for gas shocks , that are made for a lowered 720. is this correct and which ones would you suggest ?

2. ive only been able to find stock rubber motor mounts , are there stiffer aftermarket ones availible and would I benefit from that ?

3. hardbody leaf springs were suggested and I've been searching but can't seem to find the info I'm looking for . do they just fit and bolt on? should I get the bell tech 2" lowering springs for hardbody, or stock hb springs? will the leaf bushing/shackle kit I chose above still be correct , or do I need one for a hardbody ?

thanks for any input like I said , I've tried searching but not finding what I'm looking for

What you want, I would think, are flatter and stiffer, in which case the 720 4x4s are that. *** I just compared the springs and the early 4x4 D21s are slightly flatter but way stiffer (515 lb/in.) than the 720's (442 lb/in).... if that's what you want

Get it lowered where you want it and raise the front top shock mount. This way you can still fit the truck heavy duty shock or equivalent.

Poly bushings are good on a drift vehicle but the engine and trans mounts don't really add to the experience much do they? If worried about the engine torquing over get some chain and a turn buckle and adjust tight when drifting and loosen for driving comfort.

• Like 1

A 4 link coil over suspension would be the way To go to. Jegs.com sale they're products at fairly decent price. That way you can eliminate the leaf springs and the coil overs will help with the wheel hop. But def stiffer leaf springs will be the cheapest way to go. I think a 4 link coil over conversion or s13 subframes will be the best suspension set up to drift. With the s13 subframe you can have a vicious lsd. 4 link coil over best for keeping traction to. And you can have the 4 link set up how ever you want. But like everyone else says its exspensive. But if your good at geometry and welding id say do it your self. Get a book called engineering suspension. If you want your truck to sit and ride like a car. Subframes will def be the way to go. But that's just my opinion. You can do what ya want to your truck. Id just hate to see a 720 or any other datsun look like crap. I can make a truck look nice on the outside by just a 5 dollar can of spray paint and some bondo. Lol...

• Like 1

Man, I thought this going to be an alright looking truck, but honestly I think you're one of the biggest idiots on Ratsun for peeling the hood back. Sell the truck and save it. Then, shoot your self.

Dude, comeon; it's not what you would do, and certainly not what i would do, but it's HIS truck. He's not building it for me or you; he's building it for him.

We've all done things to our cars we regret later.......coughsunroofcough......but in the end we build them for us, not others.

Give the kid a break.

• Like 3

Man, I thought this going to be an alright looking truck, but honestly I think you're one of the biggest idiots on Ratsun for peeling the hood back. Sell the truck and save it. Then, shoot your self.

Take it easy man. It's not yours. Don't like it don't comment. If you have nothig nice to say don't say anything at all. This is a friendly form not a hater form

I don't plan to race it haha just slide around on dirt roads and gravel parking lots

That's not really drifting then. That's just sliding around on dirt and gravel.

This is drifting.

MIS_4454-copy1.jpg

DatsunDrift.jpg

What you're talking about doing goes by many names. One of which is rallycross. Or just plain fucking around. Both are fun either way.

rallycross03.jpg

• Like 1

What you want, I would think, are flatter and stiffer, in which case the 720 4x4s are that. *** I just compared the springs and the early 4x4 D21s are slightly flatter but way stiffer (515 lb/in.) than the 720's (442 lb/in).... if that's what you want

Get it lowered where you want it and raise the front top shock mount. This way you can still fit the truck heavy duty shock or equivalent.

Poly bushings are good on a drift vehicle but the engine and trans mounts don't really add to the experience much do they? If worried about the engine torquing over get some chain and a turn buckle and adjust tight when drifting and loosen for driving comfort.

sweet thanks ! If i understand the turnbuckle idea , I think I'm kind of doing that right now . I used a ratchet strap from the motor to the fenderwell , I got the idea the other day from a picture of some drift cars engine bay . is this alright for driving around town ?

pm me an offer , just for fun , I'll say no thanks . donate a nice firearm and I'll consider shooting myself . the answer will be no but I'll thank you for the firearm and sell it for a saw , then cut more holes in my truck . Word ?

Dude, comeon; it's not what you would do, and certainly not what i would do, but it's HIS truck. He's not building it for me or you; he's building it for him.

We've all done things to our cars we regret later.......coughsunroofcough......but in the end we build them for us, not others.

Give the kid a break.

yes I like my truck. I don't plan on getting rid of it and I really don't regret the hood haha, I like it

That's not really drifting then. That's just sliding around on dirt and gravel.

This is drifting.

MIS_4454-copy1.jpg

DatsunDrift.jpg

What you're talking about doing goes by many names. One of which is rallycross. Or just plain fucking around. Both are fun either way.

rallycross03.jpg

then I want it to drift,rallycross,fuck arournd, and hold my dirtbike haha
  • Like 1