620 with a "Z" motor?

73super

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems to me that the v6 would be the easiest to do as far as amount of fabrication. all you need is engine mounts, tranny mounts, possible massaging of the tranny tunnel. funtana's got a buick v6 right?

edit: it's guy's 620, also green w/wrap kit, threw me off...

there was a discussion on here a while back about SBC swaps. Hooker used to make a kit (might still) that included a fiberglass firewall/tranny tunnel piece, motor mounts and headers.

There use to be a how-to on the OLD nissancustoms.com for installing the buick v6. those motors can pull, and I can only imagine how peppy one would make a 620

there was a discussion on here a while back about SBC swaps. Hooker used to make a kit (might still) that included a fiberglass firewall/tranny tunnel piece, motor mounts and headers.

There use to be a how-to on the OLD nissancustoms.com for installing the buick v6. those motors can pull, and I can only imagine how peppy one would make a 620

Well I had one in a CJ5 way back and that thing had torque and it moved! Yes, that would be a nice little motor for one of these.. hmmmmm.:rolleyes:

that 510 was a aluminum buick v8 ;)

The Olds 215 V8 also came with a turbo option... 215 HP. This was '61 I think, no smog, no computers, O2 sensors just vacuum lines. With 10.5 to 1 compression and 7 lbs MAX boost it was on the ragged edge. Think what you could do to day with all the sensors and a computer... lets see thats almost a 3.5 liter engine.

BTW the Buick 215 aluminum V8 was sold to Land Rover and was used in the TC cars too. A lot of the early '60 engine parts would still fit the '90s Rovers

• 5 years later...

so rather than making a new thread asking this 'common' question,

i turned to google to find a lead or at least photos of an l24/26/28

in a 620... nada.

this thread did come up though, and i not mean to bump such an old thread

but again i dont wanna make a new one either...

anyways, so its been done, anyone seen it?i

think mike says something about the z bein rotated 'the opposite way' or something like that??

so far from this thread it looks like the 'biggest' issue(s) are fitting an inline 6 into a place

that in an inline 4 goes. so its either relocate the rad or push back the firewall. well correct me

if im wrong but in order to push the firewall back all i gotta do is cut away at the firewall and then

weld/etc new, recessed metal, no?

any other problems, leads or photos?

and no, no other motor is an option for me. not a ka, not an sr, not something american, 

and not an L16,18,20,22,23,24(i4)

also found this thread

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/9379-fitting-an-inline-6-in-a-521620720/

gallery509.jpg

gallery510.jpg

gallery511.jpg

gallery512.jpg

gallery513.jpggallery514.jpg

gallery696.jpg

gallery697.jpg

gallery698.jpg

gallery699.jpg

gallery700.jpg

after finding, posting those videos, i see the motor angle now. also, how much more hacking into the firewall there is than i originally anticipated, hah!

Keep firewall... put rad in the box. Keep rad loose the firewall.... and the heater. Shifter is also almost between the seats. Have to say there are lighter newer tech 4 cylinders that make as much/more power.