Needing Troubleshooting Help 79 620 KC

r@+5un620

Let me begin by saying that everything was running just fine for at least 4 months. 4 months ago I replaced the alt. and the battery and my problems were solved. Last week we moved across town and out of apartments, my truck ran fine all day that day i drove like 40 miles with no problems. I back the truck up to load it and turn it off, then when I get back in and turn the key the battery acts like its dead so i stop and pull out jumper cables and jump the truck and it runs fine we unload the truck after I back it up and turn it off on a hill. I unload the truck and then roll start it in 2nd gear. This is where things got interesting the truck was running fine at 1500 rpms cruising along then I get onto the highway again and shift up into 3rd and complete loss of power the engine almost dies, when I slow back down and pull over the truck shotgun backfires repeatedly :blink: , like 7 or 8 times in a row. So i turn it off and check all wires and everything to be connected and then jump start it to limp home. :no:  I couldnt shift out of 2nd again and the entire way home it backfired.I honestly have no clue where to begin because until this point it ran perfect. :confused:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honk the horn. If weak the battery is low. If nice and loud the battery is fine just not getting to where it needs to.

Replace the fuses, never trust them simply by looking at them.

Find the fusible link close to the positive battery terminal. It will be a Green wire about 4 inches long connected to the positive cable or terminal with plastic plugs. It may look alright but be melted inside.

You replaced the alternator so check all connections and that two wire plug in.

buy one of these.

You can spot a proplem way before the IDIOT light come on.

http://www.equus.com/Product/3721/Battery-Monitor

you ck to see if its charging at all? put a volt meter on there? You might just be running off the battery.

since its a 79 hopefull you got a IR alternator in there. Pull it out have it cked if you dont the correct voltage with the meter.

ck the fuse as mike said as a blown fuse might cause the alt excitation circut to not charge.

Alright back to square one I had the battery tested 3 times and all 3 times it had a bad cell only putting out 6 volts. And I replaced all fuses correctly cleaned all contacts on there and tested alt and it tested good. After I replaced the battery it ran perfect for 3 days and at school this morning wouldnt start and once i got a jump all of the previous symptoms are back backfiring etc. and now I notice as this was happening the tach was going backwards, the gas gauge wouldnt work and the speedometer was going backwards as well. This electrical thing is not my specialty and Im to the point of either dumping a bunch into it at a shop or selling... I have tried everything I know to do and this is getting very frustrating...

:mad:

Well Ive replaced alt twice checked all grounds multiple times including grinding and cleaning all of them up and new bolts new battery cables new battery and replaced all fuses cleaned fuse box checked all wires around it and to no avail it still runs like crap and wont even start half of the time.  :confused:

Speedometer can't run backwards or it would do so backing up. It's not even connected to the electrical system.

Get a volt meter. When running check across the battery terminals... should be over 14 volts. It may test good but I bet it's not charging the battery.

Do you have a good ground wire from the negative battery terminal to the body sheet metal? There is one but may be off or broken/rusty. Make one from the valve cover bolt to the firewall will do.

Ok i tested a brand new battery at 12.62 V truck is off then tested it with truck on only 12.32 V then with headlights on 12.02 V I have no ground from neg. battery terminal to body i will make one im going to post up a few pictures here in a lil while

I know it has dead cell this one was brand new a week ago is whats weird and the one before that new 2 months ago but i have the warranty and i have another brand new one in it right now it runs but kinda shitty and the alternator isnt charging but it tested good twice two weeks ago... :( idk what the hell is going on... would the coil have anything to do with the low voltage? or the tach running backwards...