Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

Years ago, my wife and I were rafting down a very secluded part of the upper Clackamas river. 

Slow water; we were just enjoying the scenery-quiet. 

A baldie starts circling above us. 50 feet? All of a sudden he dives straight down. So fast. You could here him cutting the air. 

That fucker picked a 15" trout 10 feet in front of us. 

One of the most beautiful displays of nature I have ever seen. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was fishing a lake one morning, bald eagle up high in a tree an an osprey pestering the hell out of it for a good 10 minutes. The opsrey flies off to another tree then dives down and grabs a decent sized trout. The eagle drops out of the tree hits the osprey mid air and takes the trout, goes back to his tree and eats the trout.

• Like 3

I was fishing a lake one morning, bald eagle up high in a tree an an osprey pestering the hell out of it for a good 10 minutes. The opsrey flies off to another tree then dives down and grabs a decent sized trout. The eagle drops out of the tree hits the osprey mid air and takes the trout, goes back to his tree and eats the trout.

Cuz 'Murica. Fuck yeah!

• Like 1

I can say without hyperbole, "I see them every day" around here. They can and will carry off small dogs and cats. I had to pick up a live (although stunned) one once from the highway he was blocking. It's common for them defend territory by grabbing talons and death circle towards the ground in an aptly named game of 'chicken' This old fellow had bounced off the ground and was dazed. We put a sack over his head, but I was terrified.

The head is about the size of your fist.

why the fudge are my 'murikin bald eagles runnin' off to Canada!?!

oh wait. I know.

tumblr_nii9hdNAzF1r83d7lo1_400.gif

• Like 2

Proof that they are opportunists.  I know they can 'hunt' their own food but I have never in 23 years of watching them seen it. I have always seen them swoop down on something already dead and take it away. They come up here because it's easier to take something away from a Canadian.

Proof that they are opportunists.  I know they can 'hunt' their own food but I have never in 23 years of watching them seen it. I have always seen them swoop down on something already dead and take it away. They come up here because it's easier to take something away from a Canadian.

I witnessed it first hand. And it was awesome!

That was 8 years ago. I remember it vividly. 

We have a bunch of pine trees around our neighborhood. One late after noon, sun glaring in the windshield, the kids and I were pulling up to our house when we see this huge puff of what looked like confetti and something streak passed about 15-20 ft in front of us. WTF? I get out of the car to check this shit out. On the peak of my next door neighbor's roof there's a red tail hawk with a pigeon in his talons looking down right bad ass. That SOB bagged the little sky rat mid air like a side winder missile. Suburban wildlife at it's best. 

I think it was a Canadian pigeon BTW.

Now, crows. That's a jerk of a bird if I ever seen one. 

On my trip to Ellensburg last weekend I did see one doing flips while flying. No, it wasn't windy. 

Oddest thing to see. 

Crows are my favorite. They are way smarter than you think. Ours drop walnuts (in season) and small shellfish on the roads to crack them open. They stick together in small (family?) groups and seem to enjoy fooling around when they are flying doing rolls and acrobatics. I notice you never see a younger small crow. They all look about the same size. My theory is the young stay in the nest until almost full grown. (smart) Only way to tell a young crow is if you see another crow feeding it.

• Like 1

Can't say I'm fond of them...I hate the early morning screech when I'm camping......

...................but they are smart as fuck.....

Walking with my daughter a few years ago in my neighborhood and this thing comes flying out of a tree and hits the ground about 30' ahead of us.....

......walked up to it and it was a fresh clam.....that's now broken.....

I looked around and didn't see anything......it wasn't till after we started walking again that the crow flew out of the tree and picked it up.....

Fuckers.....