Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

So I think I've figured this out from an engineering stand point. The dimples are there to create turbulence to cool the edges of the dimples.

That's the idea from what I got also.......supposedly it helps prevent carbon build up also.....

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys tried this long long ago and yeah, it's the golf ball idea. But, a tight piston to head clearance will have the same outcome. I find that in two groups of people...Harleys and aircooled VW these guys are scared to death of a compression number. Making a tight quench will raise compression (if a guy leaves the chamber the same size) they see this raise, freak out and leave the piston down in the cylinder too far. What they don't seem to grasp is that their low compression engine will be more likely to detonate like that than a higher compression one done right. Guys in the VW camp will tell you that a 9 to 1 ratio will make the car explode in your garage and probably kill all your neighbors...and that's even before you start it. Just walking past the car thinking about a higher compression will crack the head.

• Like 2

That's the idea from what I got also.......supposedly it helps prevent carbon build up also.....

You just have to think like an engineer: what completely unnecessary feature can I design into this so people will know I did it

• Like 1

car-bull-balls.jpg

That picture gave me an idea for my truck. I am going to find some big nuts, like 3 or 4" socket size,I dunno, maybe a tractor trailer wheel hub bearing nut? tie them together with bailing wire, and hang them from from the bottom of my truck with a chain. Those are the type of nuts a truck should have hanging down, not a ballsack.

origin-live-large-base-nut-black.jpg

• Like 2