What Do you guys think? please advice

Mads510

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of the yellow 'high' beams. Its a fad and serves no other purpose. They are no good in fog because a/ they are on when the other white lights are on, and

b/ are not a true fog light and have a totally wrong light pattern.

You can get some from Mercedes cars but not sure if true fog lamps, but even if they are see a/

If I have high beams on it's to see where the hell I'm going! ANY coloring on the lens reduces the light output.

• Like 2

Fog lamps have a different beam pattern and color alone won't do much. Ever switch high beams on at night in a snow storm? Suddenly it looks like warp drive but much harder to see ahead?  Fog lights cast a wide, extremely narrow (top to bottom) beam so that fog (or snow) do not reflect light back at you..

Just to warn you, red or blue forward facing or rear facing lights are for emergency vehicles only. They are illegal on any other vehicle.

cool good to know I didn't even know that one! I was thinking Blue at one point! never mind that! 

With four 5.75" round you can replace the low beam with a motorcycle headlight - so you retain a true low and high beam set up!

Then throw in a switch and a relay, to supply a pair of amber fog lights - which also allows you to turn them on without headlights.

Will any motorcycle lights that size work? Do you have any specific models you'd recommend? That sounds like a pretty good setup

• Like 2

Will any motorcycle lights that size work? Do you have any specific models you'd recommend? That sounds like a pretty good setup

yeah when I search for lights the motorcycle beans come out but I found a set on ebay very nice for 25. I will thinking about it!

The factory yellow lights on Mercedes are fog lights. They used a 5.75" round amber fog light, with a normal 7" round high/low beam.

I like to throw this out when the subject comes up...

With four 5.75" round you can replace the low beam with a motorcycle headlight - so you retain a true low and high beam set up!

Then throw in a switch and a relay, to supply a pair of amber fog lights - which also allows you to turn them on without headlights.

this flys with me.  And I like the yellow lenses.  Specifically if the car is a bit rough.

I'd stick with stock.  If you need fog lights, get fog lights.

yeah becasue the ones they sell for the 510s they are all painted on and the bean is very low compare to an original fog light is 3 times the brightness. good point of view!

from 30 years of owning & riding MC's

Interesting article I will need to read it later but from the skimming I did he's comparing "apples to apples", meaning a Bosche MC H4 to a Bosche Auto H4 so his results do not suprise me. As I'm sure you're already aware not all headlights are the same, with each manufacturer having their own concepts of what works best. and...... 

ARTICLE quote:

The Devil in the Details:

(I can only vouch for the two Bosch units as the tests above verify so keep that in mind when discussing the various issues below).

AND BTW I have a set of Hella H4 E-codes for my 620 & they are bitch'n :)

that is why I asked the OP what his desired end result is.