411 Stainless Steel Exhaust Kit (for R16)

raceneely

Ok 411 Freaks, I can build kits until the 13th of September and that is all I will be able to build. We are at Last Call if you want a whole kit, a collector, and/or a down pipe...

The final prices for each phase or the entire kit are:

Phase 1: Collector Only with V-band Clamp and Copper Gasket p/n, 99996-411VBK = $ 429.99 

Phase 2:  Downpipe ( fits to V-band joint on new collector above ) p/n, 99996-411DPK = $ 279.99

Phase 3:  Exhaust Pipe & Muffler Kit ( fits to down pipe ) p/n, 99996-411PMK = $ 839.99

Phase 4 : Complete 411 Kit front to rear p/n,  99996-411CEK = $ 1499.99

call Tom at 310 371 0500 or e-mail for ordering: sales@speedandhose.com

411-exhaust-mount-300.jpg

411-EXHAUST-GASKET-300.JPG

411-exhaust-tucked-300.jpg

411-exhaust-muffler-mount-300.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are no longer $4000 cars, they are going up in interest and values. Not that anyone can make money on a restoration but shows like JCCS are driving interest up and demographics are in our favor as baby boomers retire and remember the Japanese cars from our youth. I drove my wagon to work today and had people roll down windows to ask about my car at almost every stoplight including one guy wanting to know if it's for sale. The roadsters are going way up in interest also and Japanes cars in general look a lot better in retrospect in light of their dominance in car manufacturing.

We could be talking the value up on 411s as they have a lot to offer over a 510, namely being much more robust and having Italian style and basic goodness like a double wishbone front suspension and RB steering wich the roadster didn't get until 1969.

If someone wants a unique car and enjoys the Datsun community (which I do) the 411 isn't an expensive toy, certainly cheaper than other vices.

These are no longer $4000 cars, they are going up in interest and values. Not that anyone can make money on a restoration but shows like JCCS are driving interest up and demographics are in our favor as baby boomers retire and remember the Japanese cars from our youth. I drove my wagon to work today and had people roll down windows to ask about my car at almost every stoplight including one guy wanting to know if it's for sale. The roadsters are going way up in interest also and Japanes cars in general look a lot better in retrospect in light of their dominance in car manufacturing.

We could be talking the value up on 411s as they have a lot to offer over a 510, namely being much more robust and having Italian style and basic goodness like a double wishbone front suspension and RB steering wich the roadster didn't get until 1969.

If someone wants a unique car and enjoys the Datsun community (which I do) the 411 isn't an expensive toy, certainly cheaper than other vices.

And yet, my RL411 was the only 411 sedan at the last JCCS.  Last year there were 3.  We are indeed a dead breed!  And yet you are right, we do attract attention whenever a road worthy vehicle does get spotted on the road.

As to the value of Italian design!  There are many deplorable instances of Italian design in the 410 and 411.  Example - the drip rail around the periphery of the roof has a dip in the rear quarters. Why?  Because it looks good!  Unfortunately it was an Italian design decision.  The roof panel is spot welded INSIDE the rain gutter.  Yes. the rain gutter is formrd as part of the bodyand has  a series of spot welds INSIDE the rain gutter.  Oh, and by the way, the rear quarters are depressed "because it looks better" and did I mention that there is no drain so the rain accumulates in the open welded seam of the rain gutter?  But "No problem" Italian style, goop up the seam with "non shrink non drying? panel sealant.  News flash!  It shrinks and dries up!  Your guess what happens to the spot welds in the rain gutter.

The original 410 trunk lid went almost to the floor, a good choice at first glance.  But, because of the reverse curvature of the lower part, the trunk lid leaked, solved later by going to a BMW like flatter trunk lid and removing the lower rear crease in the rear fender, and straightining the trunk and rear fender body line.  The original 410 rear fender and trunk lid looked like a two year old with a load of crap in his Doctor Dentons!

Yet, all in all, this RL411 is still the best car I ever bought!  The good folks in Yokohama, with the able assistance of the US Datsun race team in Gardena, managed to solve most but not all the Italian excesses and produced an very good vehicle.  I have owned and driven my RL411 for the last 45, going on 46, years!

Johnlorio!

FYI my RL411 made the cover of  the December 2012 issue of the Japanese auto magazine "Gosoko Youen" due to a photo taken at the 2012 JCCS show.  Another Japanese auto magazine got my permission to show my RL411 in an issue to be released sometime this year  at this years JCCS so yes, even in Japan good examples of the 410 and 411 get attention!

Edited to correct the magazine issue date.

Edited by MikeRL411

Since the exhaust seems to be sold, Ill add in my .02 ... you guys think a 411 stands out in your area?   Drive one in Maine! there are next to no Datsuns at all left here.  Mine may be sold today, but if so, it is going to a good home.  What a great car to drive and enjoy. Mine is far from a show car, but has been a lot of fun. My lack of garage space, and the rotten weather here, plus a pretty torn up arm are influencing the sale. Its been a lot of fun though....

• Like 1

John, you are on the head of the nail on this. Actually 510 guys hate to hear this ( I used to race them for a living too ) but for a street rod a 411 is a better car to modify than a 510 once you are willing to get your hands dirty. Based on the better steel alone I wouldn't even look at pouring money into a 510 anymore for the street. Too thin and flimsy for longevity.  Neely

2 of the exhaust kits went to Japan, 1 to Thailand, and the other 2 are in John Lorios garage and on Datsun Dudes new car,

Bonvo, the price savings on mild steel over stainless for that WHOLE kit was only about 185.00, Stainless was the obvious choice for longevity.

We might do another run of those next year. The Japanese are catching on to the 410/411 also, but they have requested a complete header also. I don't know if I want to deal with that.

Neely

2 of the exhaust kits went to Japan, 1 to Thailand, and the other 2 are in John Lorios garage and on Datsun Dudes new car,

Bonvo, the price savings on mild steel over stainless for that WHOLE kit was only about 185.00, Stainless was the obvious choice for longevity.

We might do another run of those next year. The Japanese are catching on to the 410/411 also, but they have requested a complete header also. I don't know if I want to deal with that.

Neely

Maybe seeing my RL411 on the Dec 2012 cover of Kosoko Yuen started something?  It was in conjunction with their coverage of the 2012 JCCS show at the Queen Mary.

Edited to correct magazine date.

Edited by MikeRL411

Mike and John nailed it.  Hardly a $4000 car, I have a standing offer of over $20K for mine.  I'll never sell her, but it's nice to know that if I needed a quick chunk of cash, it's a phone call away.

BTW, there's now a '67 411 sedan in my best buddy's fleet, so he now has a complete SSS wagon and a complete SSS sedan awaiting restoration.  :)

I haven't forgotten about ya, Neely - gotta do a trans swap and then I'll be hitting you up. 

• Like 1

Mike and John nailed it.  Hardly a $4000 car, I have a standing offer of over $20K for mine.  I'll never sell her, but it's nice to know that if I needed a quick chunk of cash, it's a phone call away.

BTW, there's now a '67 411 sedan in my best buddy's fleet, so he now has a complete SSS wagon and a complete SSS sedan awaiting restoration.   :)

I haven't forgotten about ya, Neely - gotta do a trans swap and then I'll be hitting you up. 

It might be the same guy, I was offered $20,000 for my sedan at the JCCS and turned it down.  He came back with a dubious raise to $30,000 but I told him the second owner of my car was going to be my son who has lusted for it since he was 15 years old.

• Like 1

well no greg yours is not a $4000 car... but its also gone thru on everything... i was offered 7 for mine.... i said no casue i didnt like the guy. i took it to pomona swapmeet and put 5500 on the windsheild, everyone said cool car... no hits..... ive seen far too many sell between 800 and 2000 to consider it to be a more expensive car, granted not perfect complete cars, but neither are the 510s, 620s or 521s that are taking more money. there have been some awesome well preserved cars for under 4k..... greg and mikes 20,000 offers are just outrageous, but one is the cleanest sss wagon state side, and the other is a one owner (his wife actually lol, and he will be the first to tell you) well preserved sss sedan. id say mine comes up in about 6the place as far as preservation goes. shes got some damage but no rust..... they are just not THAT sought after....

• Like 1

Erich I can vouch for Mike .........I was standing there for the offer on Mikes car for 20K at JCCS, because the guy was a Mikuni Executive from japan and using me as a go between, (and he also thought Mike owned the red wagon at first which he was willing to go 40K total if he could get them as a pair...) The 30K offer on Mikes car was to prove to himself it was not for sale. But the 20K offer was legit.

I have to say in primo condition they are 8-10K min in running and registered condition. +$ +$ depending on mechanicals.

AZ, I have only one exhaust collector and Down Pipe kit left, its on Ebay. Im not doing another run until I do the rehab on the 2 door

Neely

Part of the valuation problem is that the NADA Clasic Car guide lumps all 411 together.  No distinction between left or right hand drive, 2 vs. 4 door, or P vs. R models and also ignore manual vs. automatic transmissions.  The "value" is whatever a willing customer and seller can agree on.  Let's hear it for the open market!

Erich I can vouch for Mike .........I was standing there for the offer on Mikes car for 20K at JCCS, because the guy was a Mikuni Executive from japan and using me as a go between, (and he also thought Mike owned the red wagon at first which he was willing to go 40K total if he could get them as a pair...) The 30K offer on Mikes car was to prove to himself it was not for sale. But the 20K offer was legit.

I have to say in primo condition they are 8-10K min in running and registered condition. +$ +$ depending on mechanicals.

AZ, I have only one exhaust collector and Down Pipe kit left, its on Ebay. Im not doing another run until I do the rehab on the 2 door

Neely

i wasnt saying that the offer for the car wasnt legit, i was just saying in todays market they are still as you said 10000 cars. shit 510s hardly pull that for a redone car. its gotta be the best of the best, swapped, etc i just know that the fully restored one that matched my car with the nice aluminum mags(hayashi streets?) went for 3500 i believe. it was fresh paint motor and interior..... one of the cleaner restored examples id seen. and it started at 8000 on craigslist.

• Like 1

well no greg yours is not a $4000 car... but its also gone thru on everything... i was offered 7 for mine.... i said no casue i didnt like the guy. i took it to pomona swapmeet and put 5500 on the windsheild, everyone said cool car... no hits..... ive seen far too many sell between 800 and 2000 to consider it to be a more expensive car, granted not perfect complete cars, but neither are the 510s, 620s or 521s that are taking more money. there have been some awesome well preserved cars for under 4k..... greg and mikes 20,000 offers are just outrageous, but one is the cleanest sss wagon state side, and the other is a one owner (his wife actually lol, and he will be the first to tell you) well preserved sss sedan. id say mine comes up in about 6the place as far as preservation goes. shes got some damage but no rust..... they are just not THAT sought after....

To clarify what vehicles we are talking about, go to the JCCS site, open "Gallery" and go to  pix # 77, 78 & 79 to see Greg's wagon.  My sedan is #13.  BTW, go to #195 to see a real gem, a beautiful WPL411 complete with correct & authentic period wheel covers!

Neely

I suspect that he was motivated to get examples of early Datsuns that are NOT in the Zama collection.  Nissan corporate treats the 411 series as a minor variation of the 510 on their official series chart, so does not include 411s in the Zama collection.

Mike, he was trying to get his first car actually, he liked the 310 that was there too. That was an exact replica of the car he learned to drive in. These guys were Mikuni execs. I have been working with them on the possibility of remanufacturing a generation 2 version with upgrades of the 44mm side draft. JCCS was the obvious stop to check on their legendary carbs 

Neely

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...