411 Stainless Steel Exhaust Kit (for R16)

raceneely

411 crazies,

Ive been R&D'ing for the last 2 weeks on a complete bolt in upgrade TIG welded stainless steel exhaust system for the 411 ( R16 powered ) I have it figured out going through the fender panel for lowered cars too. Size is 2" all the way out the back using stock mount points with a Borla muffler.

Most importantly the stock collector flange in the engine bay is completely replaced & revamped and uses a V-band clamp instead of the troublesome Nissan clamp ring. Ill be posting pics soon. I am thinking of doing a run of 4 or 5 kits beyond what I need for my own 411's. They will most likely run between 1500.00 & 1700.00 + freight when they are done for a complete kit. Or I could just offer the upgraded collector with V-band clamp and the tricky down pipe in the fender well and you guys can take it from there...... if it is something anyone would want speak up. I'm finishing them up in the next 2-3 weeks. Call or Text

Tom 310 429 1660

• Like 2
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The factory down pipe had a "deformed" wrinkle impresed ["D" cross section] on the engine block side to afford clearance for the left front tire in left turns. I assume you have taken this clearance into consideration. Sounds like you have a good upgrade product! Wishing you luck!

Mike, yes we are employing full flow oval shaped tubing in there similar to our Tube Chassis cars, actually it may not need it since the V-band allows for a tighter cut inside the well..... its tricky but it is looking good. ill get pics up very soon.

Also the 65' 410 Wagon found a great home. I gave him your info in case he needs 410/411 therapy, guidance, and counseling..... :thumbup:  Neely

• Like 2

411 crazies,

I've been R&D'ing for the last 2 weeks on a complete bolt in upgrade TIG welded stainless steel exhaust system for the 411 ( R16 powered ) I have it figured out going through the fender panel for lowered cars too. Size is 2" all the way out the back using stock mount points with a Borla mufflers.

Awesome!

working on a price for just the new collector and down pipe as a kit. Stainless is expensive. The kit is as chaep as I can make it here on shore

ill post pics and price as soon as we get the prototype unit tested.... One thing we discovered is that 2 of the cylinders only get 1/2 the flow of the other two with the original collector. We are solving that first. 

411 freaks,

Here it is, the new Stainless Steel Merge Collector w/ V Band Clamp & Stainless Steel Down Pipe Kit for a stock R16 header in a stock 411.. Car in picture is lowered and the wheel and tire clear fine. Cant get any more clearance than this (as seen in the photo) Also clears stock SU Carb heat shield.

I'll have a kit price for the V band collector and the down pipe this week.

We have a much better reading on the bench flow machine and the computer model shows 7 HP gain. We will see on Chassis Dyno next. :thumbup:   Neely

411-collector-300.jpg

411-down-pipe-window-300.jpg

411-down-pipe-300.jpg

411-merge-300.jpg

411-flange-300.jpg

• Like 4

Yes. Marman 2.00" V-Band, Probably overkill, but since there are complaints of the U20 cranked R16 blowing these off I figured it was the cleanest way to go. Also the old collector built pressure causing that original clamp to blow, this is free flowing.....

• Like 1

Yes. Marman 2.00" V-Band, Probably overkill, but since there are complaints of the U20 cranked R16 blowing these off I figured it was the cleanest way to go. Also the old collector built pressure causing that original clamp to blow, this is free flowing.....

It probably would be extreme overkill but when I / we would secure a satellite to its restraint we would gently tap all around the clamp with a nylon, wood or hard plastic hammer to insure that we had stress relieved the clamp and evened out any residual stresses before the final clamp adjustment.  When a satellite and its launch vehicle goes through "Max Q Alpha" on climb to orbit the stresses on clamping joints are enormous!  No 411 will ever come that close!

nice looking part, but i meant could you post a pic of the old one that came on the car, i dont see my stock one being too poor of a design and im thinking yours may not the the factory installed piece. people liked to mess with the collectors and clamps a lot.

411 freaks,

Here it is, the new Stainless Steel Merge Collector w/ V Band Clamp & Stainless Steel Down Pipe Kit for a stock R16 header in a stock 411.

411-collector-300.jpg

Awesome Tom. It came out great! And who doesn't need another 7 horses?

Cool addition for the 411 freaks.

ive never taken any of mine off as i didnt want to break the gasket and have to find a replacement. i just didnt think it was a bad design but i guess id have to look inside.

You would have to take 2 510 gaskets, split them and patch to the header and adapter.  I used "paste muffler sealant" mostly to hold them in position while I bolted the units together.  Works just fine.  You will likely have to do this with these units unless you are as handy in cutting gaskets as you are in cutting steel.

• Like 1

Mr. Neely - Count me in.

I have a stroker motor (U20 crank / rods plus oversized pistons) in my restored WRL411 SSS, and the weak point is definitely that collector (I've disassembled 3 of them).

I suspect some light work could be done on the cast manifold as well for a little more gain.

Shoot me a deal on 2 of them (my 411 and one I'm helping restore) when you get a chance (just the collector and downpipe section).

BTW, I found (after building a complete 2.25" exhaust for this car) that a small piece of flexpipe isn't a bad addition, considering the way the exhaust routes.

Nice work, sir.   :)

• Like 1

Mr. Neely - Count me in.

I have a stroker motor (U20 crank / rods plus oversized pistons) in my restored WRL411 SSS, and the weak point is definitely that collector (I've disassembled 3 of them).

I suspect some light work could be done on the cast manifold as well for a little more gain.

Shoot me a deal on 2 of them (my 411 and one I'm helping restore) when you get a chance (just the collector and downpipe section).

BTW, I found (after building a complete 2.25" exhaust for this car) that a small piece of flexpipe isn't a bad addition, considering the way the exhaust routes.

Nice work, sir.   :)

One of my heroes!

AZ Im working out pricing right now, its close to my estimate. We will have 3 phases to the kit we will offer. Collector W Gasket and V-band only, Collector with Down pipe to Trans Cross member only, or the entire kit out the back with muffler. You can call me at cell 310 429 1660 anytime or at the shop 310 542 6435  Tom

• Like 1