Aftermarket ECUs - which is the best bang for the buck?

If you were to spend a grip of cash for an aftermarket ECU, which would you choose?  Now, I know Icehouse will probably say just use the regular Megasquirt and wire your own and all that, but I'm just not that good. ;)  So I'm going to spend the extra money to have something set up where I can fiddle with it, but nothing I have to wire.

I'm looking at two options:

The MegaSquirt PlugNPlay for around $799 USD.

http://megasquirtpnp.com/docs/mspnp_g2_ns8994_d21.htm

The Nistune Type 4 board for $615 Aussie dollars, which comes out to $546 USD.  I'm sure there is some annoying amount of shipping also.

http://nistune.com/equipment-products-type4.php

Both setups come with installation tools, software, etc, and are plug in and go for the most part.  Besides MS being local and therefore easier to get support if things break, I've heard good things about the Nistune setups, and theoretically computers hardly ever break.

Anyone run either, have a preference?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UH..... what engine is this going to....ive used nistune. it was awsome for going from turbo to non turboon a vg during smog time. just change the maps takes like 2 mins as well as the injectors. as for tuning its all there youll need a o2 and a wideband bla bla bla. i thought it was pretty cool tho.

Damn right Megasquirt is the best!  Yes complicated and yes some assembly required to get it cheap.  In the end I feel it's worth it, not only saving money but the education along the way.  If you wait for the christmas sale you can really save some money.  I think I got mine for 275 took a few hours to assemble well worth the savings.  Also Tunerstudio is kick ass.  It also works on my Mac!  

Okay rant over :)  

from all the shit ive been reading, MS sounds pretty damn good.

i might convert my (1996) 240sx (ka24de) 

to gsxr itbs and using ford's edis4 ignition system 

and i would go with ms for fuel & ignition control

• Like 1

from all the shit ive been reading, MS sounds pretty damn good.

i might convert my (1996) 240sx (ka24de)

to gsxr itbs and using ford's edis4 ignition system

and i would go with ms for fuel & ignition control

This is exactly what I'm doing with mine

I like using the edis setup except if your not using the edis box it's hard to get MS to perfectly read the wheel.  I've had a few issues on some where it gets a sink error which is annoying.  I think next time I'm going to using a hall effect sensor instead of the ford VR sensor.  

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Electromotive fuel injection systems. Still have my original TEC 2 I bought in 1992.

http://www.electromotive-inc.com

Depends what your putting it on. For basic Distrubuter-less ignition and EFI on a budget an old TEC 2 works fine. These go for relatively cheap every so often on ebay... $300 ish?

If you need something more elaborate and or sequential injection, a TEC 3 is pretty darn good. around $1000ish? used on eBay

if budget no issue their new product line is real nice!!