Any Fisherman?

I F'n love fishin'...........

IMG_0963.jpg

Stupid squaw fish overpopulating Lake Pillsbury....

IMG_1024.jpg

We have the squaw fish around here too  :devil:

They inhabit Mayfield lake here in WA as well.

WDFW thought that If they put the so called tiger musky in there...

Gades_tiger_musky_t470.JPG?84974f3f373de  <<<<(Not me)

That they would eat the squaw.

Not so much...

The squaw fish will go up into the river and the musky wont   :hmm:

But those Tigers have to be 54 inches to keep! (from Mayfield lake anyways)      Pretty awesome fish.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the squaw fish around here too :devil:

They inhabit Mayfield lake here in WA as well.

WDFW thought that If they put the so called tiger musky in there...

Gades_tiger_musky_t470.JPG?84974f3f373de <<<<(Not me)

That they would eat the squaw.

Not so much...

The squaw fish will go up into the river and the musky wont :hmm:

But those Tigers have to be 54 inches to keep! (from Mayfield lake anyways) Pretty awesome fish.

I've always wanted to fish for musky on mayfeild, I think it would be a blast.

I've always wanted to fish for musky on mayfeild, I think it would be a blast.

I KNOW RIGHT!

Mayfield lake is like an hour drive from my house and I still haven't done it  :hmm:

I used to go up to Mayfield lake quite a bit and they are ALWAYS in the kids swimming area cause its the slowest warmest part of the lake     :rofl:

The cable leaders is what you need cause the teeth on those things are like pirhanna, they'll cut right through fishing line.

I KNOW RIGHT!

Mayfield lake is like an hour drive from my house and I still haven't done it :hmm:

I used to go up to Mayfield lake quite a bit and they are ALWAYS in the kids swimming area cause its the slowest warmest part of the lake :rofl:

The cable leaders is what you need cause the teeth on those things are like pirhanna, they'll cut right through fishing line.

Man I know! I had one take my gear(and the small trout attached to it) fishing there with my gdandpa when I was little.......time to do some internet research on musky fishin....

Wow, this is relevant !  I've been in Oceanside for almost 8 years now and just went on a 3/4 day charter out of Dana Point last weekend for the first time.

Kind of crappy day though...  we  found a good spot but a sea lion messed it all up and all downhill from there.  Pot was won with a sheepshead at only about 8 ~9  pounds... was disappointed, tired, and pissed...  didn't really pay attention to details.

Definitely want to try again, maybe even with a higher-end charter... too many lines crossing on this last one.   I work with some Marines who like to fish (ones who got me out on this last trip), but would be cool to include some Ratsuns !

Which boat was this?

Found an underwater nikon at pawn shop for 99$. Should go back and buy it.

No pics but I've been diving on the Pensacola pass west jetty for red snapper. Been seeing spadefish as big as trash can lids along with sheephead, jack, grouper, and a ton of reef fish. I'll try and get the camera before I go out next time. Don't like to pole fish as much as I used to. Spears and mask are the way to go.

• Like 1

Found an underwater nikon at pawn shop for 99$. Should go back and buy it.

No pics but I've been diving on the Pensacola pass west jetty for red snapper. Been seeing spadefish as big as trash can lids along with sheephead, jack, grouper, and a ton of reef fish. I'll try and get the camera before I go out next time. Don't like to pole fish as much as I used to. Spears and mask are the way to go.

Dive fishing would be THE SHIT!

How do I get in on that? lol

Not the best trip but at least we didn't get skunked

null_zpsd3f36062.jpg

null_zps6a2bed62.jpg

Took the bluefin to my sushi chef and he cut up the fish and prepared it in 4 amazing dishes.. It's awesome being friends with the owner of your favorite restaurant... We also took home a few big fillets.

null_zps26e1bd4b.jpg

• Like 2

We haven't done a whole lot of fishing in the past few years, as life has been busy (I know, shitty excuse), but I grew up fishing at the lake that my parents' lake cabin is near in the mountains of NE WA for bass.  My dad still fishes damn near daily from April through October up there.

Pretty good size large mouth that I caught on a brief visit a few years ago....

bass_zpsb2f05a86.jpg

of course the little neighbor kids were pretty stoked on it too

basskids_zps51f0f8b9.jpg

And a nice one that my dad caught last summer

dadsfish_zps92105d6f.jpg

And I haven't done a ton of fishing outside of lake-fishing, but did do a 4-month stint working at a fishing lodge as a fish-cutter, among other jobs, in SE AK back in the summer of 2002, and did a bit of salmon, ling cod and halibut fishing up there.  And have gone out to the Strait with the hubby, my dad and brother to do a little salmon fishing as well.  Brodster and I are hoping to make it out for another trip this September.

fish_zpsf21e6a6d.jpg

BrodySalmon_zpscc532f47.jpg

And kind of a shitty resolution, but funny one..... Here's me teaching Brody how to clean fish in the road in front of my parents' lake cabin sometime around 2003

Cleaningfish_zps4bafb8f2.jpg

O and VintageRice-

Ya need to fish for the kings and dodge those humpys man, They are not worth a damn when compared to kings or cohos...Fighting them is not as much fun and eating them is not as good  ;)

But I wont deny that any fish on the end of a line is better then no fish  :lol:

If kings and Ho's were as ez as humpys I'd do it more!   :)

I enjoy silvers in the rivers after the humps zombie out. But you cant beat 45 minute limits on hard fighting salmon.(hard fighting compared to other fish not other salmon) Using nothing but a 1/4 jig. Great fun and I look forward to it ever two years!

I cant wrap my head around these guys(no offence, I'm just not rich) that have a 30,000 alumacraft, two downriggers, sonar, big level wind rods reels, a huge flasher, 5 lb ball of lead and troll allllllll day long for one or two fish on 50lb line. Just not my cup of tea. I much prefer "hunting" fish in tight quarters on light gear in the river.  Just gets me excited knowing that fish is RIGHT THERE and its up to me to get the right presentation and speed to make that sucker hit.  FUN!

^^ :thumbup:

I fish for the fight.....and I love being outdoors.

I usually use the lightest tackle possible for the situation....

Do all my lake fishing with an ultra-light.....no matter how big a fish I'm going for.....

^^ :thumbup:

I fish for the fight.....and I love being outdoors.

I usually use the lightest tackle possible for the situation....

Do all my lake fishing with an ultra-light.....no matter how big a fish I'm going for.....

I love ultra light! Salmon or trout, Lakes or rivers I always use ultra light gear.

I use 12lb line with a 10 lb leader for ALL my salmon fishing. I caught a quite a few 20 pounders and a couple 30s with that set-up. O and 10 foot ultra light rod.

I havent gone fishing in a while... but i have a 500 gallon aquaponics system full of Tilapia :-)  Harvest time is soon! just waiting for them to spawn one more time. :-)

CAM00692.jpg

CAM00691.jpg

and i think my method of harvest is gonna be one of them cheap disney poles just for fun hehe

• Like 1

Am I reading that correctly??  10' ultra light?? where did you get this?? Oics?

Yep sure are.

I work in a sporting goods shop so I get to play around with all kinds of fishing gear and what-not.

I had the medium light action Celio from Okuma and a customer came in with a broken eye on the bottom half of his ultra-light and wanted me to replace it. 

I told him it wouldn't be ready until the next day.

He apparently HAD to fish that day

So he bought a new pole and left the old one for me to throw out.

I took the top half of his ultra-light and modified it to fit into the bottom half of my medium light making an ultra light with medium action spine  (make sense?)

It fishes like an ultra light but has a lil more power when you need it cause of the medium action bottom half.

Its like 9' 9" or so, not quite 10' nor full Ultra Light but about as close to it as I could get with what I had.

998024_598851273479751_812597094_n.jpg

1002248_598851290146416_1681785441_n.jpg

Theres me next to it.

Im about 6'5" for some size comparison.

Yep sure are.

I work in a sporting goods shop so I get to play around with all kinds of fishing gear and what-not.

I had the medium light action Celio from Okuma and a customer came in with a broken eye on the bottom half of his ultra-light and wanted me to replace it. 

I told him it wouldn't be ready until the next day.

He apparently HAD to fish that day

So he bought a new pole and left the old one for me to throw out.

I took the top half of his ultra-light and modified it to fit into the bottom half of my medium light making an ultra light with medium action spine  (make sense?)

It fishes like an ultra light but has a lil more power when you need it cause of the medium action bottom half.

Its like 9' 9" or so, not quite 10' nor full Ultra Light but about as close to it as I could get with what I had.

998024_598851273479751_812597094_n.jpg

1002248_598851290146416_1681785441_n.jpg

Theres me next to it.

Im about 6'5" for some size comparison.

That's pretty sweet...I would have a field day working in a sporting goods store..... :frantics:

...and yes.....totally makes sense!