610 drive axle question

Sorry for all the newb 610 questions lately...   :rofl:

So, rear drive axles? Don't unbolt from the diff like the 510 axles do. Seem to be stabbed into the diff. 

SOP for getting them out? Do they clip in? Or just slide in? Pop out easy or some special trick to remove? 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing (my 610 SFM conveniently glosses over it) you pry with a large screwdriver. Give the shaft a sudden snap outward and the clip will let go. To instal just push inward suddenly an it clicks back in.

there is a long bolt that goes threw the splined end and they actually bolt to the spider gear 

There are actually two types: ones that bolt like the 510s with 4 bolts (there are the "early" 610 differentials) into each side of the differential. The other style are how bonvo described: there is a through bolt down the center into the differential. These are more desirable as they allow for conversion to LSD later (the later R160 differentials, including LSD, have this style of attachment).

They do?

So you take the back cover off and unbolt them from there? I know they are not the exact same as the 510s.

no you sneak your wrench around the u joint and turn it  1/4 turn at a time 

There are actually two types: ones that bolt like the 510s with 4 bolts (there are the "early" 610 differentials) into each side of the differential. The other style are how bonvo described: there is a through bolt down the center into the differential. 

Kinda wish this car had the early diff right now. I've got at least 6 extra 510 drive axles with good joints in them.   :rofl:

These are more desirable as they allow for conversion to LSD later (the later R160 differentials, including LSD, have this style of attachment).

Anyone have firsthand experience with this? 

Scuttlebutt on the 510 email list was that the splines on the 610 shafts aren't long enough to engage the LSD? And the bolt that screws into the spider gear through the axle has nothing to screw into in the Subaru diff? Are they wrong?

http://www.datsun510.com/bbmail/2006-2/3314.html

Good. If I have to pull the whole fucking diff out I might just light the car on fire...   :rofl:

Assuming it's gonna dump a bit of fluid when you pop them out, yes? 

ill get ya pics in a few minutes and if your careful you wont loos and 90w

Isn't that something? I'm looking at a blow up of the diff and the bolts go through the side gear into a 'nut' although not a nut in the usual meaning of the word. It is threaded for the bolt but appears to spline into the side gear so it won't turn when tightening.

Kinda wish this car had the early diff right now. I've got at least 6 extra 510 drive axles with good joints in them.   :rofl:

Anyone have firsthand experience with this? 

Scuttlebutt on the 510 email list was that the splines on the 610 shafts aren't long enough to engage the LSD? And the bolt that screws into the spider gear through the axle has nothing to screw into in the Subaru diff? Are they wrong?

http://www.datsun510.com/bbmail/2006-2/3314.html

The later 610 half shafts are meant to fit the clutch pack LSD, not the VLSD unit described. Once I get my hands on the clutch pack unit, I will get more pics, just for confirmation ;)

Isn't that something? I'm looking at a blow up of the diff and the bolts go through the side gear into a 'nut' although not a nut in the usual meaning of the word. It is threaded for the bolt but appears to spline into the side gear so it won't turn when tightening.

From looking at that, it looks like the same bolt used to hold the stub axle into the 510 diff?

If so, could you not remove these axles, bolt in the 510 stub axles, then use 510 drive axles? I will most likely just put new joints in the 610 axles, but if they prove too tough to find I may find out if the swap I mentioned works. I do happen to have a spare dead 510 diff and several 510 drive axles, so... 

• 2 months later...

So many different threads about same car ? Couldn't you ask all these question in one thread ?

Well< I"d say it clogs up the forum sending other interesting threads down to the bottom and over to next page. Not fair.

I wasn't so much asking questions about my car as I was general information questions. Not a lot of 610 info out there, and not everyone that is into 610s reads my build thread, so...

Also didn't really want to dedicate 3 pages of my build thread with a bunch of general information Q&A...   :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

I put a viscous subaru diff in my former 610. I used the 610 axles and just slid them into the subie diff. The long bolt has nothing to attach to, so I didnt fasten them in place. They stayed in there just fine.  If you have a lot of angle in your half shafts (car is jacked up in the air or down low in the weeds) then they might pull out. But it was never an issue on mine.I glanced under the car all the time to check during shakedown runs.

I never could tell if the viscous unit was working corretly. But I could successfully do 2-wheel burnouts though...as seen here at the 1:50 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaaSyy28KU

• Like 1

I put a viscous subaru diff in my former 610. I used the 610 axles and just slid them into the subie diff. The long bolt has nothing to attach to, so I didnt fasten them in place. They stayed in there just fine.  If you have a lot of angle in your half shafts (car is jacked up in the air or down low in the weeds) then they might pull out. But it was never an issue on mine.I glanced under the car all the time to check during shakedown runs.

I never could tell if the viscous unit was working corretly. But I could successfully do 2-wheel burnouts though...as seen here at the 1:50 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaaSyy28KU

Sooo no mods to fit the 610? driveshaft and mounts all mate up?