Datsun 510 Engine Swap

Noe510

I've never been an advocate of an SR in a 510. I love the look of a single cam KA with dual carbs though. I suppose I could be talked into an SR.

510s are weird cars when they get big horsepower. Anything over 300, then you need tires so wide that the car becomes wider than it is long, which affects not only aero, but also feel. The wider cars seem twitchy. That said, I have never seen a 510 go faster than 135 mph either, no matter what HP. One guy I knew had 475 HP to the wheels and had a stock, un-flared body. That car was super sketchy to drive and would spin the tires at any speed in any gear.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest thing that people forget is the 510s weigh nothing... 2000lbs ish... everyone gets caught up in the horsepower game but are used to cars that weigh twice as much.

They also forget the most fundamental benefit of a 510... slow car fast... as the saying goes it's more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow.

If all you want to do is burn out then go big! If you want a fun street car 150-200hp. If you seriously fast track car 2-300hp... with major supporting adjustments including suspension, brakes, diff, steering, cage, seats, etc. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, demo243 said:

I think the biggest thing that people forget is the 510s weigh nothing... 2000lbs ish... everyone gets caught up in the horsepower game but are used to cars that weigh twice as much.

They also forget the most fundamental benefit of a 510... slow car fast... as the saying goes it's more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow.

If all you want to do is burn out then go big! If you want a fun street car 150-200hp. If you seriously fast track car 2-300hp... with major supporting adjustments including suspension, brakes, diff, steering, cage, seats, etc. 

Agree,  many yrs ago I built a Triumph TR6/302V8 it was silly fast, great in a straight line but don't go too fast because it started to float.  The 510 I'm working on came with an SR20DET but I've learned my lesson, I traded it for a KA24DE.

When I got my first 240z it was putting out maybe 110 rwhp from the stock engine and I drove the crap out of it because I was going to tear it all down the coming winter. It was a blast to drive, so much fun.

I'm not saying that guys that have big power in a 510 are wrong, not at all, I've just learned what I like to drive.

• Like 2

My ITC 510 had 120 HP, and my street 510 had 210 HP. Both were set up about the same, except the street car had bigger brakes and ran on street tires. The ITC car was a blast to drive, and very low maintenance. The street car was waaaaaay more fun, but needed constant engine maintenance and an occasional valve spring. Something in the middle, maybe around 180 HP would be the best of both worlds.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...