ok in need of help

my521project

ok i have a 1970 521 and just got a single cam ka to put into her and am looking for some guidance to get it fitted in to her please help me with ecu set up and what can be removed for the ka bec i dont have to smog it at all. im in so cal riverside plese help me out guys thanks chris

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i have a 1970 521 and just got a single cam ka to put into her and am looking for some guidance to get it fitted in to her please help me with ecu set up and what can be removed for the ka bec i dont have to smog it at all. im in so cal riverside plese help me out guys thanks chris

A little late to say this but did you do any research about this swap at all?

Have you ANY experience swapping motors?

Do you have any fabrication skills?

Do you have welder, tools, a safe secure place to work?

Your '70 truck might not need to be smogged but a newer (S13) motor will. I suppose you could fly under the radar but one day you may get stopped and that.... will be that.

Type 'KA into 620' in our search function and start reading all the posts.

Ok guys sorry I have not put up pics I will put some tougher here in a Lil bit when I get home and get on the laptop. I have done swaps before but this is kinda a new one to me. I have the space to do this swap at my place. I do not have to worry bout smog here in Cali do to the fact I'm pre 76 so I'm all good to go there. Will work the pics out here in a bit tonight

Pretty sure the law in CA is that you have to smog it to the year of the swap.  So IF, for some reason, an officer has enough suspicion and you pop that hood, you could get your truck impounded with a KA swap since it's not pre '76.  At least that was our understanding from when we lived there and the husband was kicking around ideas for our 510.... but I have been known to be wrong sometimes ;)

• Like 1

Buy the CANAM box offa here to simplify the wiring. Motor mounts for the swap are also for sale on here. Plus there's tons of build threads you can read through with lots of pics. Good luck, and start a build thread! Welcome to Ratsun.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the law in CA is that you have to smog it to the year of the swap.  So IF, for some reason, an officer has enough suspicion and you pop that hood, you could get your truck impounded with a KA swap since it's not pre '76.  At least that was our understanding from when we lived there and the husband was kicking around ideas for our 510.... but I have been known to be wrong sometimes ;)

^ most comments about CA smog laws on this site crack me up!

Allow me to give you a similar example of legal advise:

In Washington state - if you drive faster than the posted speed limit, a cop could throw you in jail and impound your vehicle. :crying:

That's not the case in CA.  Here, if the VIN is 1975 or older, you're exempt... regardless of what motor you're using.  

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

I don't want to thread jack here, but I think it worth clarifying some of the above posts or at least their intentions.

Datwifey and Mike were simply trying to provide some advice as we have heard some horror stories on this site about people getting busted, specifically in California.

Personally I don't think you will have any problems in your truck, but the laws in California are complicated. And there are even Federal laws that apply, which nobody really follows. Whether or not any laws were truly broken in these cases, who knows. But a lot of the cops down in Cali (and probably elsewhere) are starting to catch on to the fact that people think it is a free-for-all in pre-1976 vehicles.

From what I understand is that, TECHNICALLY speaking, you have to retain all the emission control devices that came on that vehicle. And you cannot remove or modify emission devices on that vehicle. Although it is completely ridiculous, taking that air-pump off your L-series motor may be illegal.

At the end of the day if a cop wants to be a dick when or if you pop the hood for them, you may some issues.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guidelines.html

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/13775-i-just-got-bar-reffed-in-my-car/page-5

http://www.epa.gov/enforcement/air/documents/policies/mobile/engswitch.pdf

I won't post on this issue anymore in this thread.

Dude if you look like a doosh,then be pre paired to get pulled over and that is it,i dont even run front plates on my cars i have 5% tint on my cars and i dont get harassed one bit,and as for smog who the hell cares if you dont have to smog it then you dont have to smog it.Worry about if you get caught at some street racing which i dont think he has in fact i know he has nothing to worry about.

He asked about a KA swap and that was it.Every thread it is the same shit from the fuckin peanut gallery.

But since you we are on the topic of removing smog crap on your KA, there are a couple schools of thought. I have a Z20E and bought a couple of manuals on it. The engines came with buttloads of complicated air tubes and valves for emissions. I looked up every device in the manual, and if it was specifically for smog, I pulled that shit off. I pulled the EGR and made a blanking plate. There were also some tubes that went into the exhaust manifold. I pulled those out and found some plugs for it. Then I had a friend weld the plugs in. Come to think of it, I found the plug information on a site about KAs, so you may have the same thing.

The downside is that when the engine was designed, the ECU was specifically programmed to operate with all that emissions device crap on it. So in theory you would be affecting the performance of your engine, possibly negatively if all the smog stuff was operating well. But in my case, my Z20E runs just fine.

And if you plan to go with a Megasquirt or a modified ECU, then the pull that shit off.

Sincerely,

The Fucking Peanut Gallery

But since you we are on the topic of removing smog crap on your KA, there are a couple schools of thought. I have a Z20E and bought a couple of manuals on it. The engines came with buttloads of complicated air tubes and valves for emissions. I looked up every device in the manual, and if it was specifically for smog, I pulled that shit off. I pulled the EGR and made a blanking plate. There were also some tubes that went into the exhaust manifold. I pulled those out and found some plugs for it. Then I had a friend weld the plugs in. Come to think of it, I found the plug information on a site about KAs, so you may have the same thing.

The downside is that when the engine was designed, the ECU was specifically programmed to operate with all that emissions device crap on it. So in theory you would be affecting the performance of your engine, possibly negatively if all the smog stuff was operating well. But in my case, my Z20E runs just fine.

And if you plan to go with a Megasquirt or a modified ECU, then the pull that shit off.

Sincerely,

The Fucking Peanut Gallery

Listen man i am not trying to be a dick,but the thread is off subject that is why i make comments like i did,Ka swap,he already said he is not worring about smog.