MSD Ignition

novita1021

okay with the MSD parts which ones do i use? the 6a, 6al or what? then what coil blaster 2 or the 3 or what?...any suggestions...its gonna be on a L18 with A87 closed chambered head... ohh and which distributor should i use?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep..keep it simple...the other alternative is Pertronix, very simple..I just here mixed reviews about MSDs, that's all and have not heard anything negative about pertronix..with Datsun mathcbox and all you may run into problems, since used parts.

so its not worth spending the money on that equipment? cuz i was allso thinkin of buying the mallory distributor from autozone or summit... but okay thats why i wanted to get some info before just buying it...thanks guys this forum is full of knowledge...

Tell you what...do a price analysis....

ignitor from Petronix about $90

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=1741/591.0

hi -po coil about $40

Total maybe about $130.00..now how much for mallory set-up?

Then when you get used matchbox and distributor for Datsun, you will second guess that it works okay.

Good luck!

The msd blaster 2 is great. Mated with a matchbox it doesnt need any resistor. There really isnt much advantage except that the blaster 2 is about the same price as an exide select and looks cool. The matchbox and msd is by far the best in my opinion. I run it on 2 dattos with 8mms and they run great. I dont think the blaster is actualy multi spark without the controller.

Whatever you do just make sure you go EI and dont buy cheap coils no matter what. They will go out.

LOL, I think I tryed giving Hainz a 6A box in trade for the pertronix he brought me to fix one of my cars... he started pulling the pertronix back out till I told him cash is fine. LOL

YOU remember WELL, ZUUM...

You guys!!!

I remember Homo Erectus getting one of your engines running and something about lipstick and almost being banished from a forum??? So, how's my memory!:lol::lol::lol:

I have a EI setup in my 620 right now... I got it from the JY out of a "running" 620... I had to advance the thing ALL the way to get it to stop pinging... very strange, but the truck runs, starts, and idles better now.

You probably didnt swap out the pedestal and are still out of time unless you cut the plate for a bit more.

If you cant get it right then drop the oil pump and re-clock it.

You probably didnt swap out the pedestal and are still out of time unless you cut the plate for a bit more.

If you cant get it right then drop the oil pump and re-clock it.

nope got the whole setup... and the oil pump is correct... its running good, but its just advanced all the way... I didn't modify it, it runs good now like I said... I just think its strange that it has to be turned to full lock in order to avoid pinging.

You can't run a matchbox unit AND a MSD,as they both do the same thing with the exception of more options on the MSD.

Go with the 6Al driven by a non matchbox electronic dizzy.

Huh?? I have a msd blaster 2 and matchbox on my 521 and 510. The "matchbox" refers to the control module on the side of the distributor itself. A MSD blaster coil is nothing more than a high energy coil good for points(with resistor) or any datsun EI dizzy. A MSD control unit with the true multi spark should work fine with a matchbox.

Zuum

YOu could loosen up that 8mm bolt under the dizzy to recenter or move the dizzy timming plate more to one side. Then it might give you more adjustment movement.

for others

http://www.pertronix.com/support/tips/pdf/msd6series.pdf

I assume you could use the Matchbox as a trigger using its wires for the + and - side

I assume the red wire on the MSD will be spliced in to the BLK/WHT wire from the Datsun

Personally for a semi hipo street driven datsun the pertronix or matchbox are fine and look stock and dont clutter the engine bay.

Pertronix makes a box called SECOND STRIKE whick gives 2 sparks thru the whole RPM range

http://www.streetperformance.com/writereviewsp.php?sku=4805

i know this is off topic but i have a question about my distributor i would call it a single point but on the off chance im wrong what is it and where is the best place to get a pertonix set up does it improve power over all?

dizzy.jpg

• Like 1
i know this is off topic but i have a question about my distributor i would call it a single point but on the off chance im wrong what is it and where is the best place to get a pertonix set up does it improve power over all?

dizzy.jpg

Improve power overall... you probably won't notice anything if you have a good set of wires, plugs, cap and rotor on it now. But you'll never have to change those bloody points again, little faster starting in bad weather, might run a bit better at higher RPMs where the points would be struggling. Pertronix or matchbox is more than enough for the street. MSDs have a rep for emptying your wallet. Spark plugs will fire with as little as 10,000 to 12,000 volts. Increased throttle and compression will require a bit more 15,000 to 20,000, turbo 25,000 to almost 30,000 volts. Do you need a 50,000 volt coil? No. As soon as the voltage reaches the point where it will arc across the plug gap the voltage stops rising. You may have a 50,000 volt coil but it's just going along for the ride. Spend the money on carb re-build, oil change and tune up, and new antifreeze/coolant and go out for a hamburger.

Bonvo

yes you can convert this to a Pertronix but its more detailed than the L 16 single point dizzys.

You see that RING above the points it has to be removed for the magnet ring in the Pertronix kit to fit over the point lobe.

I have done 2 this way. But maybe ina Datsun Rich enviroment you could find a matchbox cheaper than a Pertronix locally as the Pertronix is about 75-80dollars.

make sure when you get a matchbox that they come with timming plate and matching mount(pedastal)

The gain is never worring about ignition issues again. I harldy even change my dizzy cap now after going Pertronix.

Pertronix is made for the stock coil and ballast resisitor.

Matchbox you want the NO BALLAST and a coil from the car it came from a a cheap MSD Blaster 2 coil.wire as photo shows

HPIM0255 (2)_thumb.jpg

HPIM0260_thumb.jpg

coilwireing_thumb.jpg