runaway?

Eagle_Adam

Choke only richens the mixture, you have to have lots of air getting in for it to rev up. Does the 32/36 have mechanical secondary? How is the secondary closed when letting off the gas?

im gonna have to disagree on this to some extent. i had a manual choke on mine and the lil clip holding the linkage popped off, it sent my motor to 5600 and bounced off my rev limiter... i removed my choke butterflys and shaft and i havent had the issue since. it was definitly the choke causeing my hig rpm and it did have power casue it sent me accelerating towards a red light and alot of traffic.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and heres how it looks when connected/normal

weber001_zps69efb519.jpg

not sure if you got this licked or not...

make sure that the lever from the primary shaft (the one that accuatates the secondary) has the vertial spring, like the picture shows.

also, the little stopper that the secondary lever bottoms out on is adjustable. take the carb off, and make sure that the secondary closes all the way at idle.

should fix it..

Maybe when you floored it you bent something, as you did not mention of it happening before, personally I don't like downdrafts myself, but I would figure it out before changing over to the SUs myself, I just can't let something like that get the best of me.

One time when I hit the gas really hard, I flipped a linkage arm past where it was supposed to travel, when it did that, it held the throttle 3/4ers open full time, and it was pinned, I had to physically force the arm backwards after I turned off the engine and reset the cable back on its pulley, the whole thing just failed.

It did not fall apart, as I was able to just put everything back where it was supposed to be, and it has worked fine since, I just don't slap the throttle like that anymore.

BTW, the failure above was on a set of dual SUs, the issue might be that I made half the linkage myself, as it was incomplete when I bought it.

im gonna have to disagree on this to some extent. i had a manual choke on mine and the lil clip holding the linkage popped off, it sent my motor to 5600 and bounced off my rev limiter... i removed my choke butterflys and shaft and i havent had the issue since. it was definitly the choke causeing my hig rpm and it did have power casue it sent me accelerating towards a red light and alot of traffic.

Just saying that choke alone won't rev it up. It cuts the air and forces an over rich condition.

Advance weights in Dist, stuck advanced?

Again advance alone won't rev it up you need gas and air for that.

I don't know, A lot of pics of the carb, linkage, pedal, etc. I'm a touchy, feely guy. If I can see a pic I might be able to pinpoint something.

As far as verbal communication goes, there are a lot of things I find myself assuming, because if I didn't I'd have to ask silly questions like: does the throttle return all the way closed? Does the pedal return all the way? Is there slack in the cable at idle? Did this happen all of a sudden? Was there something that happened right before hand?

See where I'm going? This is like an automotive crime scene and forensics is the only way to catch the killer.

Assume nothing.