dash volt reg Datsun 521

Both my Fuel and temp went out hard last night.

I had proplems for years with this but it awalys seem to fix its self. Or I would open the can up and just move the wire and it would work.

I get 12volts on ignition side and it appears to ohm out OK exept one part where it goes thru the circut board. I dont know if this is a like a zenor diaode or its just open.My meter says open but looking at it it should be shorted. I guess I could short a jumper across this to ck it out but I got it together now.

anybody order a new Volt reg and HAVE A PART #

There was also a write up on doing the LM 09 Chip from radio shack. I cant seem to find it

Anybody

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 521 stock gauge voltage regulator is mechanical.  It is basically a thermostat, with a heating element in the thermostat housing.  I think the gauges are also driven by a heating element, on a bi-metal strip, and they kind of average out each other.

I would think that a "cold" gauge voltage regulator would show continuity, with some resistance.  After it heats up, it should show no continuity for a short period of time, until the element cools, and the gauge voltage regulator closes again.

I cked out the Antibiscut repair. be nice to see how he hooked up on back dash panel and if he soldered to the back. I assume one LM7809 works boths gauges

Daniel I have the meter on the lowest setting I got cont form the center output wire but the thru hole on the circut card I think it the proplem. But I have never cked a good one to compare with . So I got to assume.

If anybody has a part number for a new 521 volt reg.

I might see if I can scam a LM7809

The LM7809 fix could be mounted to the printed circuit board part of the original VR after tossing the can.  This would give you a plug in replacement [complete with bad contact worries].  All you need are 3 connections.  12 volt input, ground and regulated output.

The 410 & 411 VR are the same and should be a direct plugin for early 520 and 521.  The 510 VR has a slightly different bend to the grounding [and attach] tab and should fit late 521.  If all you can get is the 510, bend the tab, works beautifully.

Search for instrument voltage regulator, I think [and that's a chore this early in the day] that I posted both 410/411 and 510 VR part numbers several years ago.  Happy hunting.

I usuaully try to write down the parts numbers if people post them. I just didnt on the volt reg.

Its best to have a part Number before going to the dealer and telling them what to do.

Most say We wont have anything that old but I remeber they were still avail.

I think the Can is really the 9 volt output. that screws in to the back of the board.As the fine wire routes to the can then is crimped to it.

DatsunMike, 29 April 2011 wrote,

"Because of the similarity of all gas tank senders and temp senders it's likely that all regulators are the same for the 510. It may be a plug in item on the back of the cluster... I think the 521 is that way. Might even be the same.

25020 13200 is the part number from Nissan, about $15. It's located on the back of the instrument cluster on the right side and is rectangular in shape."

Should be a start given it's for the 510.  Good luck, I will keep searching my part number boxes for 521 and 410/411 units.

11 April 2011

"

DATSUN 521 GAUGE REGULATOR

GAUGE REGULATOR IS THE UNIT THAT REGULATES VOLTAGE TO YOUR FUEL GAUGE AND TEMP GAUGE

PART: 52156 $27.00 US.

"

"Search is your friend " as we have all said at one time or another.  Again, good luck!

I saw Wend at the Renton Nissan ans she was only 1 number off on the VR

well see if they have one.

the 521 number was the same as the 510 number you posted.Or it was the 521 number all along.

If I do the LM7809 ill just solder wire to the chip and put female kugs on the end and a round lug for the scre wtem and plug in where the old VR was.

The MOFO started working last night.

Often all it takes to "restart" the original dash VR is a good solid smack with the palm of the hand on the dash or instrument cluster directly above the location of the VR.  It's a mechanical unit and the vibration can "unstick" and start the reed vibrating again.  Probably a case of microwelding at the points.

If you clean the connections that the instrument VR plugs on to on the board, it will likely fix your issue, I have found by reaching under the dash and pushing on the VR with my finger, it will come back to life, it is just a bad connection more than likely.

After 40 plus years, some of that kind of stuff gets tarnished/dirty or issues that are related to bad connections, and it needs cleaned.

I took the can on/off a coulpe times and opend it up. I would think that would clean up the connections.

I got bigger proplems now. I washed my phone last night. I lost all my "Hoochi "numbers

I do understand what you are saying, removing it and putting it back on would seem like that would work, but I have removed and installed the dash light holders several times, and they still won't work unless I clean the circuit board and holder connections real good.

As for the phone, you should watch your language when your using it, that way the phone won't need to be washed.  ^_^

I always keep my last phone for the contact list, just in case I need them, which has actually happened a couple times.