1984 Toyota Century (VG40)

I've had my eye on this car since October 2012.  After months of talking to the owner he finally caved in and let me buy it.  Since the VG40 model Century started production in 1982, this 1984 was only the 1,989th car produced!

1984 Toyota Century VG40

16,000 km (not a typo, less than 10,000 miles)

Only 2 previous owners, original owner had it from 1984-2011

Power locks

Power windows (all 8 including the 1/4 windows)

Power wing mirrors

Power trunk lid

Auto dimming headlights

Self adjusting hydraulic rear suspension

Dual audio control

Dual climate control (AC/Heat)

Column shifter

4.0 liter V8

Digital tachometer

Horizontal speedometer

Power reclining rear seats

Fold down armrest with fold out reading lamp

7 layers of black paint

Hand built, made to order only

Japanese Royal Family's vehicle of choice... Mack Daddy VIP

I got an absolute steal on this vehicle, especially considering the mileage and history.  Absolutely everything works and she runs like a champ.  This will definitely be a fun car to bring back to California when my time in Japan is up!  I have a few plans for this project but nothing that can't be reversed easily.  I'll update accordingly.  Until then, here's how she sits.

null_zps3ee8af27.png

null_zpsafe6cfdd.jpg

null_zps5833321e.jpg

null_zps78cf62c4.jpg

null_zps3658da42.jpg

null_zps8f7bcaad.jpg

null_zpsa2fe2001.jpg

null_zpsca31b39b.jpg

null_zps8fe531fc.jpg

null_zpsc67c41c2.jpg
  • Like 9
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I removed the seat covers the day after I bought it!

The Century's styling has changed very little from 1967-1997 (same chassis, just updated slightly over the years).  Even the 1997-current Century look very similar.  Surprisingly, the interior hasn't changed much throughout the Century's entire run from 67-present day.  You can even order a brand new Century with the exact same interior cloth material mine has!

Golseth, you are a genius. After all of the crap I have been looking at trying to import a vehicle it can all be solved with one form. Thanks for that. Now I just need to hit the lottery before they change the form...

I see that you bought it from a Military related personell...  the Y plate is only available for the American military in japan... 
Its rare to see it in japan even, spending my child hood in northern japan, never seen one . (mostly b/c american bases are in the south) 

you should value that plate.   

Century is the V12 one right? (oops, 84 is still V8) friggin sweet....  Imagine all the restrictions toyota put to keep it under 280hp....   

This car was originally ordered as a municipality vehicle for city in Aichi Prefecture. It was a city owned car from 1984-2011 to transport politicians and visiting officials. In 2011, the car went up for auction.

A GS12 here in Misawa made an offer and ended up getting the car for far cheaper than expected. He bought the car to bring back stateside to add to his automotive collection. Unfortunately, when he received the car he was unable to fit in the car as comfortable as he desired. He's a tall guy and even with the front seat in its farthest position from the wheel, his knees were in the dash. He ended up giving in and letting me purchase the car.

So technically I'm the 2nd owner as the true first owner was a city not an individual! I'm an active duty member of the Air Force so I'm familiar with the Y plates. They are very rare cars in Japan as most cars 80s and older have been scrapped.

A friend of mine gave me a hand today installing my Junction Produce taillights and fender signal lenses...

(The taillights are a darker red with clear signal lenses instead of amber with matching clear lenses for the fender signal indicators)

null_zpscbf6467a.jpg

null_zps48e5cce1.jpg