• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you either buy the brackets to run the disc brake swap with your kingpin

OR

you do a ball joint conversion

which consists of custom upper control arms (that use ball joints rather than kingpins obviously,)

and a few other parts (google it) and then you can use the 79 disc brake set up.

from the 79 you would need the upper spindles (that go through the control arms) the hubs,

wheel spindles, calipers, rotors, and a few other pieces.

Cutting the front of the frame off and welding to your earlier truck or swapping the '79 frame to yours can cause legal problems. Not judging here.. just saying to look into this and do whatever you want knowingly.

1/ In both cases the VIN number is on the top of the frame, right side just forward of the motor mount. Exchanging VINs is possible but to be legal, has to be done properly through the DMV. Selling an undeclared altered VIN truck could come back to bite you later.

2/ I believe you are not allowed to weld a vehicle frame. There is risk of a home mechanic weakening the frame strength so it's a no no in the eyes of the law. Possibly a certified welder and some documentation could get around this. If not it could be noticed and removed from the road... permanently.

Just sayin'....

If it is done the way ole'320s truck was done, there will be no issues with the VIN number, what was done was the 720 clip was added on forward of the VIN number, smart way to do it.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34698-320-balljoint-conversion/

I have heard about it not being legal to modify a frame, at least in WA state, I heard that anything made after 1980 is not to be touched, but I don't know it for sure, I heard it somewhere, but I don't bring attention to myself asking questions.

This very fact if true, would not allow you to even weld new engine mounts on a frame.

If it is done the way ole'320s truck was done, there will be no issues with the VIN number, what was done was the 720 clip was added on forward of the VIN number, smart way to do it.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34698-320-balljoint-conversion/

I have heard about it not being legal to modify a frame, at least in WA state, I heard that anything made after 1980 is not to be touched, but I don't know it for sure, I heard it somewhere, but I don't bring attention to myself asking questions.

This very fact if true, would not allow you to even weld new engine mounts on a frame.

As long as you aren't altering ANY vehicle identifying markings,they can't say shit about you working on the frame.

Years ago in Canada it was illegal to weld trailer hitches to frames for the mentioned reason. Back yard mechanics can do more harm than good.

After checking around lightly I can't find anything about it. So probably ok.

Maybe look better when the under coating is sprayed on.
2012-07-28095749.jpg

Hack_weld+_2_.JPG

You don't need to cut the whole frame off to use the later 620 suspension, but to use the components as is you have to cut the A-arm perch (that tower looking thing welded to the frame) off both trucks and weld the later one on.  Not easy.  They look similar but they are not- there's a fairly large difference in angle.  The kingpin ones are aligned to the frame, whereas the disc brake ones are angled.

As far as welding on frames, I've never heard of a law against it.  That's what custom 4X4 shops do all the time for modified spring and shock mounts.  Commercial truck frames are commonly extended or shortened.  The truck down at the musem had the frame welded on at a body shop when the trailer hitch (a factory Class III, bolted on properly) tore through the frame.