speakers in door panels

DatMo

I'm trying to put some speakers up front in my car and was wondering if anyone put speakers in the door panels.

Is there already a write up? 

I'm basically in need of figuring out what size speakers to put.

I found a pair of kenwoods that ar 6.5 for $40 all together.

Hoping to figure out soon so i dont pass up the chance.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't cut holes in your door panels. Be creative and mount them elsewhere(under dash, etc..). I have speakers in my door panels, but that's only because the e elsPO cut holes in em :sneaky:

why is it so bad? under dash is a good idea. i never thought of that.

has anyone also done that? 

I was thinking kicker panels originally but idk what size speakers would fit. 

why is it so bad?

Because you cant just buy new door panels... theres no reason to cut up good door panels for speakers when kick panels are just a piece of crappy MDF. If yours has the vinyl pocket in them, you can quickly trace them on some Home Depot MDF and make your own. Making full door panels with the OEM pattern is next to impossible. 

Dont be a douche and ruin door panels so you can listen to your Beiber and Rebecca Black albums. Measure the hole in your kick panels and go to an audio store where you can measure their magnets. Find one that fits and wire that bitch up. 

Because you cant just buy new door panels... theres no reason to cut up good door panels for speakers when kick panels are just a piece of crappy MDF. If yours has the vinyl pocket in them, you can quickly trace them on some Home Depot MDF and make your own. Making full door panels with the OEM pattern is next to impossible. 

^^ This this and this.

No matter what its gong to be custom. I had to Mount my speakers out from the door about 1.5 inches to clear the window coming down. Mind you I made "impossible" to make door panels. My originals were beat up anyways.

Whatever you do, do it cleanly.

• Like 1

well i already made my own kicker panels.

and my door panels were crappy so i made my own although kept oem just in case.

I'm convinced to do it through my kickers because i dont wanna cut metal.

anyone got pics.

Dont be a douche and ruin door panels so you can listen to your Beiber and Rebecca Black albums. Measure the whole in your kick panels and go to an audio store where you can measure their magnets. Find one that fits and wire that bitch up. 

i prefer the white stripes and hoobastank. lol. 

No matter what its gong to be custom. I had to Mount my speakers out from the door about 1.5 inches to clear the window coming down. Mind you I made "impossible" to make door panels. My originals were beat up anyways.

Whatever you do, do it cleanly.

if it won't be clean, i wouldnt even bother doing it.

same. my old panels are beaten down but i kept them just incase.

they dont have any vinyl and such on them but they were cool. 

Have fun with kick panel mount... I would brush up on fiberglassing speaker boxes.

I'm sure it can't be that bad. do you have pics of your speakers? 

did you cut metal?

Please.. don't cut the 68 door panels... put the speakers anywhere but there... please!! Unless they are complete crap already.

they are crap but i already made my own door panels. im not even using the 68 door panels.

i just need some pics. 

im not sure if the kicker speakers are worth it or door panel.

I traced my panels onto some mdf like Tristin said. I then cut a hole for a speaker and then will wrap The stock uncut vinyl over the traced mdf. So the speakers won't be visible while keeping the vinyl in perfect shape.

Note:I have not finished doing this on my car, So I don't have any completed pics...

Atom showed me that method from his old 2 door...

Edit:Just read the rest of the thread, nevermind the above lol.

I traced my panels onto some mdf like Tristin said. I then cut a hole for a speaker and then will wrap The stock uncut vinyl over the traced mdf. So the speakers won't be visible while keeping the vinyl in perfect shape.

Note:I have not finished doing this on my car, So I don't have any completed pics...

Atom showed me that method from his old 2 door...

any pics in the process would help.

have you tried them out or they're not even wired yet?

thanks for answering on the pics part. lol.

I only have one center speaker in my car now lol. I have one panel made up but never test fit it with a speaker. I am thinking this route will require A shallow speaker to clear.

The panel is put away in my messy garage until I get to my interior. I will take lots of pics then...

I only have one center speaker in my car now lol. I have one panel made up but never test fit it with a speaker. I am thinking this route will require A shallow speaker to clear.

The panel is put away in my messy garage until I get to my interior. I will take lots of pics then...

well until then, thanks in anyways.

I just needa see pics of both. then I'll decide which one i wanna go with. 

Check my build thread, everyone else hates me but I fit 6.5 speakers in each door and they are slim enough to not bump the glass.

if it satisfies you thats all that matters. your car, not theres.

thanks. ill look at it right now. 

[/url]">http://P1000028_zps4a567d82.jpg

I didn't have to cut the door to fit the woofer.  I only had to increase the hole size on the pressed paper portion of the door panel.  I attached a piece of ABS plastic for support.  I did, however, have to cut a small circular hole into the upper door for the tweeter.  This wasn't difficult at all and it did practically no damage to it.  The external crossover is housed outside the door in the cabin under the glove box with the amps and the EQ.  The door is solid as a rock with the new plastic reinforcement and the sound dampener I coated it with.  Love the look, love the sound!

• 2 weeks later...

P1180319.jpg

I prefer to leave the doors in tact, and sacrifice the vents that I do miss at times.  They look so clean though, I'll never go for kick panels.  Imaging gets all messed up with legs in the way with doors and kicks anyway.  If you need lows in the front, kicks would be better, but doors with bass suck, really.  Windows can rattle, sound is tinny, and you ruin those door panels that are so coveted.  I bought a set for big money, even though I didn't need them, so I don't need to freak out every time someone scuffs them with their shoe.  

ya there was no putting speakers in the doors, so i went with the kick panels.... 

still in progress. need re-aiming. 

like has been brought up before there is almost no room next to clutch.

file-135.jpg

file-140.jpg

file-139.jpg

full depress

file-143.jpg

• Like 1

Don't cut holes in your door panels. Be creative and mount them elsewhere(under dash, etc..). I have speakers in my door panels, but that's only because the PO cut holes in em :sneaky:

Dont be a douche and ruin door panels so you can listen to your Beiber and Rebecca Black albums. Measure the hole in your kick panels and go to an audio store where you can measure their magnets. Find one that fits and wire that bitch up. 

Just say no to cutting door panels!!

If you want to put speakers in your door, pull the panels and trade a member for ones with the holes cut already. Uncut panels are like gold!!

citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif

why not try to find a set of the old school pioner plate speakers? you can take the drivers off and put the tweeters and the 3.5 inch midrange in the kick panel, much smaller,  bass and midbass can be put anywhere are they arent as directional,  the midrange and tweeter will set your stereo image ,