Datsun 510 Hood Reversal

Hey there, i wanted to know if any one has attempted to use the hood mech. from the Z series and mount it on the 510 which would reverse the swing of the hood. I think this would be a great modification and i wanted to know if anyone had done this and if so, do you have pics. Any particular "special" problems you encounterd. I look forward to hearing from you

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a little fab work you can reverse your hood by using a Buick Le sabre hood hinge. I did this mod on my HB & got the hinge @ the yard for $20. It needs to be narrowed & brackets made for the mounting points but if you can weld & have a grinder & drill it can be done.

hoodmod1.jpg

we also did the same trick on my friends Geo tracker...

Trackerhood3.jpg

If you need actual build pics lemme know.

How do you anchor the rear of the hood? My dad had a LeSabre in the '80s and I always liked the way that hood opened. I know they had slide in anchors on teh rear of the Buick hoods...

On both hoods we chose not to use the Buick slider mechanism. While driving my hood will "float" a bit but i left the stock hinges in place & it rests on those.

With a little fab work you can reverse your hood by using a Buick Le sabre hood hinge. I did this mod on my HB & got the hinge @ the yard for $20. It needs to be narrowed & brackets made for the mounting points but if you can weld & have a grinder & drill it can be done.

hoodmod1.jpg

we also did the same trick on my friends Geo tracker...

Trackerhood3.jpg

If you need actual build pics lemme know.

I sent you a message

1st off ill let you know this is the method i used for my HB. The 510 will be a bit different in the way you set it up to open & close. Same thing on th eTracker..on both trucks we had the hood on & off a dozen times lining it up & checking for clearence's. 1st thing i did was cut the crossbar in half then using spacers made from tubing mount it on the fender lips..i needed the spacers because the hinge was not allowing the hood to close all the way...Also youll want to mount the hinge as far FORWARD as possible on the fender lip...

HBhood11-1.jpg

then i cut the excess off the bar & welded it together...

HBhood16.jpg

next part is vital. Close the hinge & set the hood on & line it up perfect. Open the hood just enough to mark holes on the hood where the bolts will be WELDED on w/ a sharpie marker. I cut the heads off 4 bolts, drilled 4 holes then sunk them in & welded them in place.

HBhood9-1.jpg

You'll still have room to adjust/line the hood up better at this point. Then mount the hood & see if it shuts & latches. Remember it took alot of trial & error to get it all to line up & i also did this by myself..i reccomend you have a helper when the time comes to mount the hood. You may have to modify the crossbar so it clears the radiator & dont forget to mount the hinge springs. On mine i had to move the spring mounting point like 1/2 inch to clear..the 510 may be easier or harder :cool:

HBhoodopen.jpg

On the Tracker we had to make brackets for the hinge coming up off the inner fenderwells..the 510 will probably be similar seeing as theres no inside fender lip.

Early 80's models had em. Theres also a few other GM cars that had the same hinge. Just look & see if the hood "overlaps" onto the fenders if that makes any sense. Oh yeah..they are held on using "torx" bits [star shaped kinda like an allen bolt]. I didnt have those wrenches & got mine off using a chisel & hammer :w00t: