Is a 521 project worth my time?

I know this is a subjective question, and maybe I'm just posting this to "talk out loud to myself",  but is it worth my time to bring home two rusty-ish early 70's 521s? It looks like I would be best off making one truck out of two.  I saw some rust in one of the floors, and some rust up in the inner fenders by the radiator support, and of course the rocker panels on both trucks were very rough.  All four front fenders are rough, but two of them are savable with some metal work. Aside from some engine parts missing on one and some grill parts damaged on one, and only one, kind of rough tailgate, everything else looks to be mostly there. One good windshield between the two. Lets say I could put together one complete running driving truck that needs paint, a seat covered, and probably a few other things.... What are they worth these days?  $500, $1000, more?   Thanks for listening to the voices in my head!--------(pictures loaded 4-5-13)------ After looking at my own pictures, I think I know the answer!!

001.jpg

002.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

056.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the skills, tools and shop to do the work yourself?

Can you afford to have someone to do the work for you? (but where is the fun in that?)

if you answered yes to either of these questions then you already have your answer. besides look at the utilitarian nature of haveing a datsun truck as a parts runner for your 510 and other projects

depends on how much time you got to spend on wrenching cuz you will - family and friends first.  Money is always up there with air and water, you will money..eventhough you can do the fabrication (rust), engine work, you still need some scratch - don't know how much you need since I have not seen the truck(s).  Do you have a place to work on the trucks?, not outside (tarps don't count), since it can get very cold in certain areas or rain.  Do you have lots of tools?  Do you have friends or family members near by that can lend a helping hand, preperably someone who is more skilled thatn you - this helps tremendously.  Are you the type that sticks to their project or once you get bored you start another one..then Craigslist will say, my lost your gain...seen too many of these because they did not comprehend how much time, effort, research and money it was going to take. Speaking of family, are they supportive of your endevour or is the wifey (girlfriend) constantly nagging because you don't spend enough time with her or family and too busy wrenching away.  What are the plans for the truck or trucks? Yes being honest about your plans and trully facing what you can do and how much scratch you have is probably the hardest thing for people to do..At any rate, do some seriou soul searching and I think you already are or else why are you asking???

Umm. Yes, would answer just about all those questions.  I've got time, money, a wife that doesn't care what I do with my car money, or car time, I've got experience, tools, a shop...etc.  "It's not my first time to the rodeo".  I guess my question is; is the Truck worth the time and money.  I've done some research, but what do they sell for in running driving shape?  Are there people out there looking for them?  Assuming your doing the work yourself, it's usually good to figure on spending a minimum of $1000 on a vehicle that has been sitting in a field for more than one year.  By that, I mean spending money on brake components, tires, hoses, fluid, repairs, not including paint, or body work, or upholstery.

Sounds like a kingcab project to me, two trucks combined into one, yep, sounds like a kingcab to me.  :hmm:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That might be cool, but for me, the roof line is one of the styling cues I like the most..... Hmmm.... Maybe your on to something....(Thinking)....As cool as that would be, I will let someone else do that.

----Next post----

For Sale

1970 521 King Cab Project

Two trucks for the price of one!  Be creative!  Build your dream truck! :thumbup:

To be honest, if you are looking at something worth big bucks at a car auction in Arizona, probably a 521 is not it.

I could see a "concours" quality showroom condition 521 for $8.000 to $10,000, given the right buyer.

That buyer is probably rarer than the quality 521.

To be honest, if you are looking at something worth big bucks at a car auction in Arizona, probably a 521 is not it.

I could see a "concours" quality showroom condition 521 for $8.000 to $10,000, given the right buyer.

That buyer is probably rarer than the quality 521.

Yeah, that's about right for the 510 too...or any Datsun I suppose.

Dont do it to try to make money..you wil b lucky to get your money back.

I don't expect to make money with Datsuns.  It would be nice to make my money back.

You'll find a buyer for a concours 510 a lot faster than you would a 521. Buyers are out there. It's whether you want to sit it out, waiting for one to come around. Craigslist is hardly the best medium for selling a vehicle, and certainly not if you expect to fetch what you want on your pricetag.

If you look at Z-cars, they sell nicely because they are a sport car. Or was. Or will be. Or COULD be...

If you look at 510's, they sell nicely because they are usually purpose built. Hot rod street demon... race day project. Trailer queens. Daily drivers. Each would have it's own price guidelines.
If you look at trucks, well, they are trucks. Parks, seats two, and can haul shit. It isn't going to be hauling heavy RV's around. Won't be towing anything heavy, etc, so it's just a light duty truck. So you'd have to find a light duty truck buyer that wanted to spend the money buying a Datsun pickup.

Personally, I don't think I could pay top dollar for a nice car because what makes a car nice to me, and enjoyable, is building the thing. I can't say the same about a house, I could buy the shit out of a house but I have no interest in building one. =D

Personally if you had a sound truck running and driving, maintained, new service items like tires and brakes and doesn't look like a ballsack - I could see $3-4k if it was rust-free and looked good. $1500 would be a ballpark figure for your run of the mill I suppose, and THAT depends on WHERE. In Kansas? You might find somebody willing to pay  more for something you don't see every day. In Oregon, they are everywhere. Price and demand.

• Like 2

There`s quite a few of those running around here still and they definetly get more than a few admirers when we cruise together.. Fix one up and maybe it will grow on you ,, with a stock seat they are actually pretty roomy inside..

Umm. Yes, would answer just about all those questions.  I've got time, money, a wife that doesn't care what I do with my car money, or car time, I've got experience, tools, a shop...etc.  "It's not my first time to the rodeo".  I guess my question is; is the Truck worth the time and money.  I've done some research, but what do they sell for in running driving shape?  Are there people out there looking for them?  Assuming your doing the work yourself, it's usually good to figure on spending a minimum of $1000 on a vehicle that has been sitting in a field for more than one year.  By that, I mean spending money on brake components, tires, hoses, fluid, repairs, not including paint, or body work, or upholstery.

you'll be lucky to get your moneyback..unless you own one of these from the get go:  http://bringatrailer.com/2010/06/21/bat-exclusive-preserved-1967-toyota-2000gt/ or old skool GTR or Bluebird SSS, yes, yes....Datsun 510, specially a 2 door, will sell all day long.  Trucks yes/no...the "want" factor is not there like the 510 or even wagons.  The ROI is just not there..there was even a red 4 door Datsun 510 that did not sell,I think he was trying to get $15K, clean...so just enjoy it..try not to think about making money or breaking even.

I was just checking the 521 section of the Forum... That gives me a better idea.  I'm not sure some of you West Coasters know how good you have it with the availability of "rust free" vehicles.  The more pictures I see of them, the more hooked I'm getting on their looks.  Even if I lost a couple hundred, it would probably be worth getting to know the 521 model and get one back on the road.

did you see this thread:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53687-looking-for-a-clean-pick-up/page-2..guy is selling a 72' gives you an idea...Also check the Craigslist thread on this site, I posted several Datsun trucks...maybe you can post a picture of yours...if I had a truck, I would make it my DD and get it road worthy..just make sure you intall temp, voltage and oil pressure gauges, if you hav not done so. Yes, even if you lose a couple of hundred dollars, it is still worth it, unless, theres too much rust, then not worth it.  But if you know how to weld and fabricate then that's another story.  Good luck...

Having owned 4 520/521's, I have some insight here:

Both of those 521's are junk. Seriously. Those pickups are really hard to find parts for. It's not like the 510 where you can get nearly anything if you look hard enough. Save yourself the headache and money pit, and find one that's in better shape.

Having owned 4 520/521's, I have some insight here:

Both of those 521's are junk. Seriously. Those pickups are really hard to find parts for. It's not like the 510 where you can get nearly anything if you look hard enough. Save yourself the headache and money pit, and find one that's in better shape.

You know, that's what I've found with every car I've owned....  "Spend more, get more, and you will be money ahead".  Cars are like a disease for me though. I get off on the treasure hunt of the game.  I find them, haggle for them, bring them home, clean them and see what I've found.  My first two 510's were in similar shape.  I ended up not doing anything with them, but they were a stepping stone into the 510 I have now.... Which I absolutely love!  So I figure these trucks in the least will lead me into the ownership of a nice 521.  Now, hopefully I can find a nice 521 in Alaska!!

You have to decide if its worth your time. Is this a project you want to take on. Will you finish it?

I take projects all the time. Get em running and send them down the road. You could make a decent beater / parts hauler combining the two. Doesn't have to be nice, to be cool or functional