Need help How can I be sure my 620 will pass smog?

Hey guys I'm new to ratsun forums and I need help with my 620. I just bout a 76' 620 and wanted to know what I need so it can pass smog. So that I can get it ready before I go register it. Would really appreciate any answer / advice on this. Thank you.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it have the stock carb? Has it been de-smogged? Any visible smoke from the tail pipe will be a fail. Any of that? Adjusting the valves wouldn't be a bad idea. Most folks don't keep up on that. You can throw a bottle of that stuff in on a full tank, the stuff you can buy at the auto parts store. My friend's 620 failed at first, and he put it in and passed same day. Be sure the truck is up at operating temp, and drive it for a couple hours before the test, that can help. In summary: Adjust the valves properly unless you have no mechanical skill, then better off leaving it be, drive the shit outta the truck right before the test, be sure the truck has a properly operating stock carb and the emissions equipment is sound, worst case the magic bottle at the parts store can help you pass. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Now post pics or you'll be banned. Check the FAQ section for instructions on how to post pics.

Feel free to PM Mike with as many questions as you want, he's crazy smart, and also loves PM's, 'specially if they are about trannys (lulz). Also, don't post again in this section with questions or you will be banned. Don't ask how to swap in a 350 or you will be banned. Lower your truck, or you will be banned, unless you raise it instead. Represent the forum with amazing decals, or you will be frowned upon. Don't post pics of your GF unless you consent to us using them as we please. Please refrain from asking stupid questions, unless you google said stupid questions first. Don't let Kazi babysit your cat. Don't whine or pout, it will be seen as a sign of weakness, and you will be screwed with. Don't swim for 30 minutes after using Ratsun. Please sign here, here, and here. BAM! you're a part of the most excellent Datsun family known to God. Come to Canby, OR this June 8-9 for your official hazing ceremony. Don't be late, or you will be banned.

• Like 2

I moved this to General Discussion to get wider exposure. I think someone here recommended a gallon of alcohol to a half tank. It burns cleaner with less emissions. Who was that?

This thread I believe:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/42847-passing-smog-ca-emissions-1976up/

Thanks guys for all the tips. And penutbuttercups I get you. I was hoping to get a 73' since I had already owned one and didn't have to deal with smog'n it. I jumped on this 76' 620 cuz I know I won't find another one around here for sale. Ill be posting some pics in a bit.

Is it possible to tell them to pre-test before the actual.  Once they hook up, Sacramento DMV already knows if fail or pass, then you have to go to a smog ref..headache. Unless you are low income and may help you pay for repairs to make it pass.  Check DMVs programs, this is what I know then not sure about now.  Are you sure it's a 76, check the actual tags on the car...if you do have to smog, tune it up really good.  Drive it around and take to freeway, when car is operating temp. it runs much cleaner.  Good Luck,

That's why I don't buy cars (Calif.) that is older than 75.  BTW I thought the seller was supposed to smog? :confused:

Yes!  The seller is required to provide a clean smog test report passed within 90 days of sale.  If the bill of sale says that the buyer accepts responsibility for succesful passing of subsequent smog check that's up to the lawyers to decide [either way you pay and probably lose].

That is a good point. How did you buy this without it already being smogged?

People can still sell their vehicles even if it is not smogged.  If the car is sold or given as a gift from an immediate family member, it does not need to be smogged.  Happened to my 93 Honda I bought 3 years ago with only 54K miles from my mom.

But it is customary that the seller smogs the car.  If you bought the car w/out getting smog and then you try to smog and fails, it is on the buyer now because the reg. is under his name.   Lesson learned.

Thanks guys for all the tips. And penutbuttercups I get you. I was hoping to get a 73' since I had already owned one and didn't have to deal with smog'n it. I jumped on this 76' 620 cuz I know I won't find another one around here for sale. Ill be posting some pics in a bit.

Are you sure about not finding those trucks in Southern Calif...see them all the time on Craigs...and even then, there's mid area Calif., Bay area, Norh Calif..

I'm having trouble posting pics. It keeps telling me that their to big. Imma keep trying. Another thing I took my truck out for a spin and everything was fine. No white smoke or anything just a few exhaust leaks. Then I noticed the temp going all the way up so I pulled over and parked it. As soon as I parked it (with out turning it off) the temp went back to normal. So I took off back home and it went back up. Parked it outside my house and again temp dropped back to normal. Has this happend to anyone before?

another thing to do, if everything else looks good. replace cat converter right before smoging it. if the one on it is getting old, you r goin to have to do it eventually anyhow. i would even go as far to take it right back off and save it till next smog.

• Like 1