I've been thinking about buying this 521 for awhile.

Loren O

The owner will sell it to me for $400 ,since i've been trying to help him sell his '67 411 wagon. The bed floor has rusted through,&there is an odd rusted through spot on top of the firewall. The cab floors likely have rust also,since the rear wimdow & one door window are brok2013-03-18151805.jpg 2013-03-18151834.jpg 2013-03-18151843.jpgen out. is this worth buying? Here's some pics2013-03-18152415.jpg" alt="2013-03-18152415.jpg"> 903.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with scrap price.  That has a ton of work that will need to be done just to get it up to driver status, and some of that shit looks like it's going to be pretty time-consuming....  Does it run at all, or is the motor going to need to be swapped as well?  

Not that it's completely comparable, but we got a fully reliably running 521 two years ago for $1,000.  Granted, we got kind of lucky, but that thing looks like it's a mess and a huge project.   :hmm:

The radiator is missing,the water pump has been removed too,so i'm guessing it had some overheating issue before it sat for who knows how long. I have an l20,& truck 5 speed lined up for around $100,so the engine &.trans would be swapped if I bought it.

I want it too,that's why I haven't been able to talk myself out of buying it yet. I had 2 projects fall into my lap at the same time. The other is a 2door 510 that is in far better condition,$but also costing me more $. 2013-02-27165637.jpg2012-12-17162236.jpg2013-02-27165604.jpg

I've been watching & waiting for the 2 door 510 to come up for sale for about 8 years! As soon as it did,i went & made arrangements with the owner. He's keeping it until it's paid off,which is good since I don't have alot of parking at the moment anyway.

I have a 521 bed that might work for you, it's certainly a lot less rust. I need the windshield glass, and I have a cab floor and rocker panels if you needed them. Transportation would be the trick. I have family in Klamath Falls, that's roughly halfway. It's doable if you buy the truck.

I can bring a cab or cab floor from a 1971 truck, rear cab glass, maybe other odds and ends. Not trying to push you to buy the truck, just saying.

I'm getting the idea that this truck is saveable,from the comments here. The only major rust i've seen so far is the bed floor & the top of the firewall on the drivers side. I assumed there will be rust on the cab floor also,since it sat outside with 2 busted out windows for who knows how long. It's completely covwred by a tarp now. It seems wierd that there's no rust on the exterior body panels! Is there a thread about replacing the cab floor sections,& the bed floor? I don't weld,but I know people that do. I can replace the glass,assumimg I can find the replacement seals & glass. I have an l20,&truck 5speed lined up,so no need to worry about the condition of the partially disassembled engine that's in it now. Rocket dog- I may hit you up on the replacement floors,rear glass,& maybe a few other parts. do you have a radiator & grille center? Once I get the bed emptied & cleaned ,i'll look into patching, or replacing the bed/ bed floor. I think the firewall rusted section can be patched. Don't know about the cab yet,couldn't really see underneath the truck.

• Like 1
I'm getting the idea that this truck is saveable,from the comments here. The only major rust i've seen so far is the bed floor & the top of the firewall on the drivers side. I assumed there will be rust on the cab floor also,since it sat outside with 2 busted out windows for who knows how long. It's completely covwred by a tarp now. It seems wierd that there's no rust on the exterior body panels! Is there a thread about replacing the cab floor sections,& the bed floor? I don't weld,but I know people that do. I can replace the glass,assumimg I can find the replacement seals & glass. I have an l20,&truck 5speed lined up,so no need to worry about the condition of the partially disassembled engine that's in it now. Rocket dog- I may hit you up on the replacement floors,rear glass,& maybe a few other parts. do you have a radiator & grille center? Once I get the bed emptied & cleaned ,i'll look into patching, or replacing the bed/ bed floor. I think the firewall rusted section can be patched. Don't know about the cab yet,couldn't really see underneath the truck.

I have two parts trucks and the cab, and floors are surely better off than yours.  I'm not really about making a dollar on the parts (but hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to get it to you).  What motivates me to help you is keeping these little guys on the road.  If your plan is to cut this thing to ribbons, install a roll bar, and call it a day -- I'm probably not the right guy to help  you.  The biggest advantage you have I'd say is that you're living in the PAC Nor West area -- which seems to be where a lot of Datsun-Jedi's are living.  I have a limited amount of time to hang on to the parts trucks, and after say, May or June, I'm just going to haul it away to recycle.  Again, I'm not trying to push you in any direction, but as hard as you think restoring the truck will be, it's going to be tougher.  You can do it.

I believe I have a grill center, rear cab glass, head light bezels and odd trim pieces here and there. 

I have two parts trucks and the cab, and floors are surely better off than yours.  I'm not really about making a dollar on the parts (but hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to get it to you).  What motivates me to help you is keeping these little guys on the road.  If your plan is to cut this thing to ribbons, install a roll bar, and call it a day -- I'm probably not the right guy to help  you.  The biggest advantage you have I'd say is that you're living in the PAC Nor West area -- which seems to be where a lot of Datsun-Jedi's are living.  I have a limited amount of time to hang on to the parts trucks, and after say, May or June, I'm just going to haul it away to recycle.  Again, I'm not trying to push you in any direction, but as hard as you think restoring the truck will be, it's going to be tougher.  You can do it.

I believe I have a grill center, rear cab glass, head light bezels and odd trim pieces here and there. 

Nope,no roll bar ,(but maybe a sway bar),& I plan to do as little citting as possible. I don't weld (yet ) so i'll have to have someone else do that,which means $$$. my plan will be to get the truck back on the road again,then fix it up as I go along, once it's reliable enough to drive daily. I'm leanimg towards the "shop truck" look for this truck. I will buff/wax,etc. ,but hope not to repaint it because I like the color so much. Same reason why i'd prefer to keep as many of the current exterior panels ( bedsides,cab etc.). If I can clean up the crome steelie rims & find a.4th I will try to put dog dish caps on them. If not then some old slot mags are the plan. I need to find out how bad the rust is in the cab,hopefully it's not to bad,same deal with the rest of the truck,i want to save as much of the current body as possible,if the rust can be patched,i will most likely go that route. Go ahead &.pm me your number & we can talk about your parts,i know i'll newd some of it,do you have any door glass, a taillight lens,&anything else you ,an tell it nweds from the pics? Thanks for the advice! -Loren

• 2 weeks later...

Well,the guy that has this truck stopped in at NAPA today. He told me that if I want this truck,to come pick it up,& just pay him when I have the money (my tax refund ). He cleaned out the bed,it has one big rust hole & a couple of smaller ones. He didn't see any rust through inside the cab,so i'm hopeing for the best at this point. I need to find a trailer&something to tow it out of the woods with. It's on a property that was a logging site at one time. So there are logging roads up to the clearing where it& many other vehicles are sitting. Several 620 pickups up there,some of which look saveable.

It's pretty much a done deal,just a matter of moving it now,&giving him $. My plan is to get it driveable,reliably,then fix things after that. My wagon is due for shocks,struts & brake upgrade,plus various other things i'd like to clean up,so i'd like this truck to be available to drive when I need it. I like this particular truck too much to pass on it. Now I just need to track down the parts to repair it.