Bought a ZX and forgot about the permit

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd say there must be an vacuum leak between the carbs and head, possibly a mating surface on the manifold?

While it's running, use carb cleaner to  spray (in very small shots) on the manifold and get an rpm increase. This should indicate where excess air is coming in and causing your high idle...

Another possibility is the butterflys have another set screw that keeps them from shutting all the way. In alot of carbs they use this to prevent a sticking linkage by keeping the butterflys from lodging shut.

Turns out, I damaged the nozzle tip when I tried to unsieze it from the sleeve.  I switched the front and rear nozzle, viola. now front runs rich and rear runs lean.  

Bought new nozzles from Z-car source.     anyone know why Z-car source costs $50 a pair opposed to MSA's $180?   these pricings are rediculous.

190 is probably the thermostat temp and sounds normal, the revving fluctuates or just raises to what rpm?

Yeah its the digital water temp gauge that I attached that should be pretty accurate. But glad to hear 190 is normal.... B/c with EFI it never went over maybe 150F idle at most

Finally got the carbs to run about the same after fiddling with the nozzle and what not. 
I was in a hurry so Didn't get a video but it ran better than EFI! Exhaust note is the same but 
definetly more Intake sound. 

Here are the good news
1.Temp stays 190~200 through out. 
2.It runs lol. 

Here is the bad news
1.Dieseling and coughing after ign cut (Other than scaring the shit out of myself Its ... Okay i guess) 
2.throttle linkage adjustment (Easy) 
3.Haven't checked timing. (important but haven't got a chance to) 
4.Idles at 1500 and little rich 

i really dont know su's well enough to say, but I do know that 1500 is too high and when you go to shut off the car enough fuel is still being sucked in to diesel.

The needles I suspect are merely for metering (changing these leans/richens fuel mixture), the rpm should be controlled directly with the amount of air cfm given when butterflies are opened. There is an idle screw, but may also be a small set screw to prevent the butterflies from fully closing.

It's not mine.  Its Po's tack welded crap. Its Passable imo. 

But If I ever get around getting 6-2 headers, I wanna dual it all the way to the rear and center-out it like IMSA 240z 

Or, if that gets too costly, Vertical duals would be cool too. 

running dual was my dream but it looked like a bigger pain in the ass then I wanted to deal with, as for the 6-2 header thing, my free 240z came with one, but it had a y-pipe slipped on it to make it a 6-2-1 header, alot of the header I've seen look like a 6-2 header with a y-pipe welded to it. If I were you I'd just say screw it and go crazy with 6 invidual exhaust pipes, have them come out behind the rear tires and have it crawl up the ass with a nice up sweep. but thats my crazy ass idea, would sound wicked though, then imagine getting some slip on bozo style pipes made for them, again another crazy ass idea of mine.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Well, Its been a while so here's a update. 

Got the front spoiler on. SU carbs are also working. 

Getting the right throttle linkage right now b/c the ratio is all messed up. 

Before:

P10003602.jpg

After: 

P1000677auto.jpg

P1000684.JPG

P1000675.JPG

P1000678auto.jpg

P1000673.JPG

P1000659.JPG

Thanks for all the support!. You guys are always my motivation to work on my ZX