Exhaust research

5&dime720

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I did for my Celica 75 was that I took my magnaflow to the muffler shop and had the muffler temp. installed then I started the car and rev up the engine..the I had him temp. intall cherry bombs (glasspacks), flowmasers, other turbos and the magnaflow sounded the best. Dynamax also sounded good. The reason why I now stay away from glasspacks is that I got pulled over one time with my 510 which has glasspack and the police officer said that it's too loud..luckily, he received an emergency call and let me go. Also the ricer mufflers, the ones with the big ass tips, they are too loud, too.

It boils down to personal preference...and of course how much money you have. A mufller, exhaust header and 2.25 piping will set you back about $600 and this will vary,,like stainless steel piping, exhaust and so on.

For once... we agree. Backpressure on an N/A car is a good thing, it helps with low end torque, and anyone with a 4banger could always use more of that... especially on a street car.

Yep.Back pressure to a "degree"is good.My current build(LZ-23) will have a 2.25 headpipe into an as yet un-determined muffler and 2 inch tail pipe.

Doubling the diameter will increase the cross-sectional area by 4 times.

Changing from a 2" to a 2.85" pipe will double the flow capacity. Look it up.

Mike-i'm not questioning the flow capability of the pipe.Rather i'm saying "you"don't need that flow.And actually "all that flow" will actually hurt HP/torque.Now while for MY motor,2 inch is a bit on the anemic side,2.85 is way too big.

Sorry, should have said that I agree. Pipe size... easy does it. Just showing that a small increase will make a big difference in flow. The 720 with the Z24 uses something like a 1 3/4" inner pipe size.

So on that KA dyno chart the muffler had almost no effect below 4,000 and there was only 8? HP difference @ 5.500. Bet there isn't much difference between a 2" and a 3" pipe either. A smaller L20B would be even less. No one wants to hear that the $400 3" system flows as well as a stock below 4-5,000. And the gain is 5 hp (or what ever) no gain at driving speeds. 2-2 1/2" pipe with big radius bends, largest muffler in the shop, call it good.

Also it depends on the bends as well. I have seen/defended the 3" KA exhaust but it has so many variables involved. Plus, I will keep my bottom end power and sacrifice the lousy 8hp. peace.

Bends are restrictions.There is a major difference between restrictions & back pressure.Some back pressure is a good thing.Restrictions are never a good thing.

On a U67 head there is a little"depression" between the center exhaust ports.While the header/manifold is flat.This leaves a tiny area for "cross-talk between the ports.If this is eliminated,the result is a gain of 10 ft lbs.

There is no 4 cylinder made by Datsun that needs a 3 inch pipe.Going too big will actually hurt performance.

ok so what if my l18 has z valves is ported and polished and has 11.5 to 1 compression and is bored 30 over what size exhaust do you guys think it should have?:)

i say it need 21/2 because there is a a z20 with a w53 haed with flat tops and z car valves sitting in my back yard with 21/4 exhaust to a magniflow in my back yard and that exhaust is to small