Pete's Aussie 620

Hi everyone!

I signed up not too long ago I haven't posted much of my Datsun but I've been busy over the last few weeks.

I have a 1978 620 with a J15 which has been with my dads company since new. I'm respraying to use as a daily driver and maybe minor engine mods.

So this is how it started its the only pic I have.

dsc01174oa7.jpg

This is with the home made nudge bar removed.

dsc01178bk2.jpg

This is with the tray, truck mirrors, bonnet and plenum panel removed.

dsc01180tj5.jpg

Its amazing the power increase from removing the tray the car feels 10 times lighter. The difference is I couldn't even spin the wheels in the wet before dropping the clutch and now I can smoke it up in the dry.

I took the steel tray down to the metal recyclers and it weighed in at a whopping 400kg.

I'll be making an aluminium flatbed for it later so I don't lose as much power as I was with the steel tray.

These are some of the parts with rust.

dsc01184ou5.jpg

This is below the front side of the drivers door.

dsc01185ja1.jpg

This is the bottom corner of the drivers door.

dsc01187yy8.jpg

dsc01186ph7.jpg

These pics are of when I was cutting out all the rust and re-welding in new sections.

dsc01195nh1.jpg

dsc01196mg0.jpg

dsc01197yh0.jpg

dsc01198zo3.jpg

Here's some of the repairs

dsc01199pm4.jpg

dsc01200ip0.jpg

In this picture you can see the doors sitting out slightly in the bottom corner and the bog isn't rubbed back enough near the bulge in the door. I fixed these later.

dsc01201jl7.jpg

Some old bog here from a previous accident has cracked so I ground it out and refilled it.

dsc01202ak6.jpg

This is where I repaired a dint in the door If you look at one of the previous pics you'll see it.

At the moment I painted 3 coats on the weekend but the paint was crap. It still didn't cover after 3 coats and I got some runs due to the weather being 14 degrees celsius.

So now I have to rub it down some more get more paint and respray the colour then the clear.

The colour I'm spraying is off the new Aussie ford falcons called Ford Octane here's a pic.

7f5ce5a0e3af48f5bbae5f4em2.jpg

I'll spray the bonnet black with and orange offset GT stripe.

I have some mirrors which I'm either going to fender mount or mount on the doors, A drift steering wheel and earlier model grill with chrome surrounds and a new old stock grill badge since mines a bit old. I also have other things like new rubbers, lights, Hella Rallye driving lights.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice 620 good sir!!!

good to see another aussie 620 on here.

mine with the j15 was slow and also unreliable!!

out of interest, does your have drum brakes on the front like mine did ?:? (mines a '78 as well)...

easiest and quickest mod is to get yourself a set of 80-85 datto 720 complete front brake assemblies and bolt them on. makes it stop a hell of alot better then with the drums!!

if you have any q's about them let me know... i might be able to help.

Yeah I've had a good look through your thread. It's good to see what you have done and how much work it is to fit stuff in.

I do have the ball joint front end so I will be fitting the 720 front end. I know what you mean about stopping with drum brakes you hit them as hard as possible in mine and it cant even lock up.

Engine wise I haven't really decided yet. I think I will keep it carby so was thinking either an A15 or L18 with a toyota SC14 supercharger just for ease of fitment.

I dont really want to have to go all out modifying much more than the trans tunnel and radiator to fit the motor in.

Gotta love the 620's!! :D

So what percentage of datto trucks came with flat beds? It seems like most of the pics I see they were fitted that way, or something...

I have no idea on the percentages sold in Aus with flatbeds but mine was converted and the tub was sold off something like 20 years ago now.

I'd kill just to even get a tub now wether it be rusted and dinged wouldn't matter. All the 620's for sale only have flatbeds here it sucks coz the tub looks tops.

Engine wise I haven't really decided yet. I think I will keep it carby so was thinking either an A15 or L18 with a toyota SC14 supercharger just for ease of fitment.

I dont really want to have to go all out modifying much more than the trans tunnel and radiator to fit the motor in.

For the easiest engine swap, go a L20 or L18. you might have to fab a new tansmission mount, but the motor should fit straight up on the 620 chassis mounts, providing you source a motor from a 720. 180/200b ones should be similar though over here.

A series 5 speed gearboxes are really really difficult to find... if they turn up expect to pay a pretty penny!!

I was thinking of buying a 720 full car for the exact reason that I could get the L20, 5 speed and disc brake front end. Would be the cheapest way of getting some extra power.

I'm not doing this up as a project car since I already have my XR8 as my project car. I'm just using it as a run around and want a little bit more power and better looks without having to do too much work. So its good to know about the A15 and how much work is involved fitting certain motors and boxes.

Would the Radiator or mounts need to be changed to fit the l20? Maybe a radiator with hoses on the sides?

I've never really followed datsun's and never saw the potential in my 620 till I found this forum.

I wish I could be more help but all the 620's here came with the L series (which I've upgraded from) The 520's came with the J series and the early 521's but I've never owned a truck that old :D

The core support in the 620s are different depending on the engine. The J-series core support protruded futher into the engine bay, because the engine was shorter. So, to put an L-series in an Aussie 620 you will need to either replace or heavily modify the core support, OR use a very thin radiator and an electric fan.

The core support in the 620s are different depending on the engine. The J-series core support protruded futher into the engine bay, because the engine was shorter. So, to put an L-series in an Aussie 620 you will need to either replace or heavily modify the core support, OR use a very thin radiator and an electric fan.

I've noticed a few threads on here of people looking to do the same to their aussie 620's.

I'll see once the motors mounted how much room is left and decide wether to mod the core support or just fit a smaller radiator with electric thermo fan.

I work in steel fabrication so a bit of welding and metal work doesn't bother me.

I've noticed a few threads on here of people looking to do the same to their aussie 620's.

I'll see once the motors mounted how much room is left and decide wether to mod the core support or just fit a smaller radiator with electric thermo fan.

I work in steel fabrication so a bit of welding and metal work doesn't bother me.

Here's a NAm L20B rad support...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/truckradsupportL20b.jpg[/img]"]truckradsupportL20b.jpg

Bluterus Do you have a a better picture of the fender badge in the first picture?

sorry for the grainy pics... here is mine to give you a feel on how it looks with an SR in there.

10042008010.jpg

DSCF2047.jpg

sorry about quality i had only my phone camera.

we butchered the factory support and welded new sides in. if we didnt have to put the cooler there it would have made it so much easier.

any questions, let me know and ill take some pics and post em up for you.

sorry for the grainy pics... here is mine to give you a feel on how it looks with an SR in there.

LOL the SR is just a bit bigger than the J15! I wouldnt mind getting a support off another car to butcher first before I go cutting mine out. Don't have any spares do you Greiggy?

Bluterus Do you have a a better picture of the fender badge in the first picture?

datzenmike that L20B looks good I think thats the way I'll go as I'm only after a slight power increase without losing too much economy. Also I think the L20B's look good and sound great.

Here's some pics of the badge.

fenderbadgexs4.jpg

You Aussies are lucky......You got Wing Windows and Right hand Drives:D! I would be happy with just Wing Windows:cool:!

How much would it cost to ship a wing window door from Australia....anyone have any Idea? Just Curious;)!

I got something similar size shipped from Summit Auto in the US to Aus and it cost me $100 US but I somehow think they put the price up a bit.

I got something similar size shipped from Summit Auto in the US to Aus and it cost me $100 US but I somehow think they put the price up a bit.

would be Quite expensive to ship over there. i have a few sets here, 2 sets im holding for 'steroid ' ( he was in first so he gets dibbs) and unless i can get a set of 1 piece for mine, i will be using the 1/4 glass or wind wings in mine.

hey bluterus,

if you have messenger add me bmx_bloke at hotmail dot com. i have a few things here that might get you out of trouble ;)

would be Quite expensive to ship over there. i have a few sets here, 2 sets im holding for 'steroid ' ( he was in first so he gets dibbs) and unless i can get a set of 1 piece for mine, i will be using the 1/4 glass or wind wings in mine.

Hey Greiggy, don't forget a set for old Deano.

Although I would certainly keep the 1/4 windows if I could get some new rubber for them but for the life of me I can't find anyone who makes or sells them:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

After searching for a tub and not having much luck finding any let alone a decent one I've decided to build an aluminium tray for the time being.

Here's some pictures.

dsc01260qz3.jpg

dsc01259zu7.jpg

dsc01261kw4.jpg

dsc01263gx6.jpg

Not too bad welds considering this is with a mig not tig.

• 2 months later...

Ok so It's taken me a while to get motivated and paint the Datsun but I finally did all thats left now is to assemble the car.

I've trimmed the door cards and kick panels with black vinyl. The carpet is going to be black and I'm bidding on some S13 Silvia/200SX seats on ebay so hopefully I win them.

I'm tinting the windows hopefully today and then all thats left is for me to find a crash pad for the dash since mine is rooted.

I'm thinking of wether or not to paint the tray black, orange and black or just leave it as it is.

Anyways here's a picture of how it looks once its painted before assembly. Sorry for the poor quality it was night and I only had my phone.

dsc01370kh0.jpg

Yeah I'll be doing a bit more this afternoon so I'll post some more pics shortly. I've got some black mirrors pretty much the same as series 2 rx7s and old celicas and not sure if i should fender mount or door mount them.

Can't wait to get her finished just waiting on some new halogen H4 headlights to come.