My random talk

jvb5577

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Currently under the works of restoring a '73 240z wood steering wheel.  Also just bought some E30 ellipsoid headlights on eBay.  Is there a write up on here on how to install the headlights? 

I have a spare bumper so I am thinking of painting it black.  Just not sure if I should go with a flat or gloss.

Yesterday I was driving and a guy pulled up next to me asking if I would be interested in a camper shell.  Gave him my number and told him to send me some pictures.  This is what I got.  

ResizedImage951372388983490.jpg

IMG95201306249518593895444.jpg

He is asking $200.  For some reason I like it.  It is completely different.

:) you wacky kids.

Not sure of what "look" you want in the end BUT this would go perfect with your old fender flares & sun visor add some air shocks in the rear & to round it off I've got a set of 15" slot mags. You' ll be creep'n super 70's style proper :)

BTW I think dude is high, the smoking kind, on $200 for that shell. Just say'n. Check that top pop-up vent it was probably added on after the fact & they are NOTORIOUS for dry rotting & leaking.

Still have some more coats of oil to put on the wood but here are some progress pictures.

When I bought it.

T2eC16NHJIE9qSO8GUrBRuhNhGg-Q60_57.jpg

Sanded and painted the spokes.

IMG_0676.jpg

After about 6 coats.  Going for around 12 so half way there.

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

The horn button cleaned up nicely too.  Some corrosion on the chrome parts but I am thinking about painting it a different color anyways.

• Like 2

nice. i got a z wheel on my truck. didnt clean it up proper like yours but it was in ok condition.

not sure if you knew this but the posts or whatever that cancel the turn signals

are in a different location than stock. one location is vertical the other is horizontal i cant

remember which is which but its rotated 90 degrees after the install and so if you turn one

way it cancels the singal right away, and if you turn the other you gotta cancel it by hand.

603936_10151620310818755_282738589_n.jpg

i dont have the pads for the wheels though. my Z did but this and the other spare wheel that came with it didnt include

the pads. which is fine that thing is ugly. gives you a lil shock though since its not covered. im workin on a 

"low pro" cap. 

603936_10151620310818755_282738589_n.jpg

i dont have the pads for the wheels though. my Z did but this and the other spare wheel that came with it didnt include

the pads. which is fine that thing is ugly. gives you a lil shock though since its not covered. im workin on a 

"low pro" cap. 

I hate how it looks too.  I was thinking of ways to make a "low pro" cap too.  Something that wasn't soo bulky.  

What I had in mind was a 3in pipe (aluminum or something else) or a wheel center cap (since it can be rounded or flat at the top) with the mold of the inside of the original cap in it.  From my measurements the inside cap that goes over the button on the wheel is 2 3/4 in.  Enough room for a good fit.

This is the cap I had in mind.  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-ss3195c/overview/

Would just need to be cut shorter and then painted black with a datsun decal in the center.  Would like some more thoughts on this.

i was trying to think of something i already had.

a lot of guys at work dip so i tried an empty dip can and it was too small.

then i thought about an empty shoe polish can

kiwi_polish_paste_black_a_1.jpg

first i thought of the top of the can, doesnt fit well.

but the bottom (brassish color) fits very well. 

sadly it isnt a tight press fit so it needs help not falling off.

one could use double sided tape, i might use the 3 screws to attach it

my plan right now is to sand it, paint it black, attach it, and probably put a sticker 

on top of it :)

• 4 weeks later...