My random talk

jvb5577

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I didn't get it. 

It was in good condition but the price was just not there.  Old guy was sticking to it.  As for the flares no I will not be putting them back on.  The sun shade is off right now too.  The P/O drilled threw both sheet metals into the cab.  So when it rained, it rained in the cab too.   :mad:   Holes are getting welded up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Okay instead of starting a new topic on this I will use my old thread.

Why hasn't anyone done a KA turbo in a 620??  Is it just not there space wise or what?

I looked at a lot of pictures and came up with nothing, except the red truck with complete steering redone.  So is that the only way so far to do it?

I have just been poking at this idea today.

I don't know how I missed this one out of all the ones I looked threw. Thanks.

I was just looking at engines and had the VG stuck in my head.  Now my dream engine would be the VG30et out of the early 300zx.  Look what you did Darin  :lol:

:)  hahahaha

I really like the idea of a turbo VG in a 620 but there are definite challenges to pulling it off, because of the exhaust crossover a twin turbo is oh so appealing..... mmmmmmmmm ..... VG33ett  

as VG's go yello620 suggests/recommends the VG33e & with the little bit of homework I've done, I'd have to agree. 

Challenges yes!  This is when I wish I still had my parts truck so I could visualize all this better.

I read yello620 VG swap and saw how he did the exhaust like you were saying.  Twin turbo would be!  But that engine is so damn big!  Look at it ^  :lol:

That 510 is the picture that shows up when you google vg30 Datsun.  That is what I am thinking.  A single cam should fit..but I am not that good at visualizing without the pieces in front of me.

I wonder how much boost a stock VG33e can handle..  Wiki rates it at 170hp 202ft-lbs

While the VG30et is rated at 200hp 227ft-lbs  OFCOURSE european model 241hp 251ft-lbs.  So does that mean this is what the engine is more capable of in stock form?

It's the a-arm's & torsion bars that eat up the space but I still believe it is doable 

No I am starting to see why a swap like this has never been done...  620 engine bays suck!

I'd like to see pics of that goon... I bet that it isn't very low because of the exhaust crossover.

The sump will have to be modified.  Maybe a pathfinder one will work?  Not sure yet.

As for the steering.  I have a '79 frame, similar to the 720 frames (early ones) and the spindles for the hardbody.  So I was going to see about swapping everything in to relocate the steering box and what not.  An idea

Curious how people are liking the coil over conversion on their 620s?  I see a lot of builds with them going in but nothing about how they are liking the ride, handling, ect.  

Loosing the torsion bars just makes me want to do it but I want to keep a nice ride and handling.  So how you liking them?

I'll let you know when the car is on the road.  I bought them for adjustability.  You can set the height, spring rate and shock damping.  Just be careful about the ones you choose.  They don't have a big range in movement compared to stock.  You really need to know the height you want your car at to pick out your coil over.  If you look at the ads for the QA1 models they tell you the compressed height and extended height.   I have the ones that are like 11 - 17 inches from compressed to fully extended so that only means something less than 6 inches of travel, so you should know your truck height within a couple of inches.  It's easier to look at somebody elses ride height and see what they used.  Just keep in mind they may have choosen poorly.

Do you have a engine swap in your truck?

That makes sense.  I guess you could raise the mounts up to get more travel too?  I "plan" to slowly progress the truck to an autoX truck.  I say "plan" because I usually change my mind as time goes on.  Do you have drop spindles?  I am going to get some so the suspension travel should be close to stock.. maybe a little dropped.  I will have to wait and see what look I get with the drop spindles.

For the conversion kit did you go with beebani?  I see some people with adjustable ones (upper arms) but don't know where they got those from