71 510 Wagon project

Sorry it doesn't have a catchy name yet...   :rofl:

I would like to encourage those who were posting and asking questions in my other thread to repost them here. 

To answer Laecaon...

Super high offset... Maybe...

I think stock width is 53.5... adding 2.5 inches is harsh. 7 wide, et0 is about flush stock. So maybe a 30mm offset or better 35mm.

Oh and yes I am still a stalker apparently.

So what is happening to the 210 hatch? or happened?

Adding 2.5" is really no big deal to me. I was already installing a 200SX disc brake diff, which is at least 2" wider anyway...  ^_^

And the wheels I have for it are +35. 

As for the 210 hatch, it's going to be parted out. The 5spd is going into my 1200, and several parts from it will go to help a few other local 210 owners. If you or anyone else needs some 210 parts, get at me. 

Next post will be the actual project intro.   :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This gonna be a looooong story, yo...   :rofl:

About 8 years ago, a friend of mine calls me up and says "Hey, I found this 510 wagon for sale in New Orleans. We're gonna fly down there and drive it home". Okay... 

So the friend tells me the reason he's selling it is the radiator sprung a bad leak, and apparently he can't/won't fix it? So we grab my spare radiator, the tools to swap it out and hop on a plane. Ever tried to check a radiator as luggage? It gets some strange looks.  ^_^

So we get there around 9:00am, and I start chatting up the seller as I'm swapping out the radiator. Turns out what he didn't tell us (or my buddy didn't think to ask) was that the radiator sprung a leak like 18 months ago. So he parked it, then once it collected sufficient dust he decided to sell it. 

Trivia question: Do you know what happens to a stock carburetor full of fuel that isn't used for 18 months?  :rofl:

So, radiator in, full of water, fire it up and take off. It's running okay, but not great. It's around 10:30 at this point.

Here we are at the airport, dropping off the rental car. It's 11:30...

Untitled-14.jpg

Untitled-22.jpg

Eventually the carb starts getting worse and worse. It got to a point where it would only work at very light throttle, or wide open. So it's either drive 40 or drive 90.  :frantics:

After a few hours of driving 40 and stopping to tinker with it occasionally, it's now around 9:00pm and we're only halfway home. Once we crossed the border into Texas, we finally said screw it and just went 90. The car did amazingly well at this speed, surprising even me. We basically drove it at 90-95mph for 4-5 hours straight. And yes, to the worriers out there this was very late at night and we went for several 20+ minute spans without seeing another car on the road. 

Until about 10 minutes from home when we passed that highway patrol...   :bye:

Part #2 is next...

So we made it home in one piece, although a bit sleep deprived (left at 5am Saturday morning, got back home at 3am Sunday morning).

I left my friend to it, for the time being. He's not as into mechanic and fab work as I am, but he's phenomenal at cleaning, painting, etc.

After a week, he had it looking pretty good. He added some 13x6 wheels with 205/60-13 BFGs I had kicking around, and went to town polishing up the old tired paint and scrubbing the vinyl top.

Untitled-41.jpg

Untitled-31.jpg

After I helped him swap in a 32/36, he drove it like that for about 6 months.

But he got tired of the worn stock paint pretty quickly. And we took it all apart. Removed everything we could, engine/trans, interior, doors etc.

Rather than deal with the kooky stock wagon gas cap, we did what I think is the coolest part of this build so far. We went to the junkyard with a template of the body side, a battery powered sawzall, and found a car that matched the contour of the 510 quarter and had a remote release set-up.

Untitled-51.jpg

In the paint shop it went...
Untitled-61.jpg

Once the vinyl top was off, we found some issues. Like the top half of the hatch was almost all gone.  :huh:

I had a spare hatch, so that got donated to the cause.

Untitled-7.jpg

After bringing it home from the paint shop...

Untitled-8.jpg

He brought it down to the shop so Tim and I could help him do an engine swap on it. He bought a complete running '81 200SX and we got to work pulling the engine, transmission, and rear axle from the 200SX for this car.

Got the engine rebuilt, some bits repainted/powdercoated, and installed in the car. Yes, the body shop got some overspray on some stuff (will be fixed soon).

crap_019.JPG

It was at this time that he decided he didn't want this car any longer... :hmm:

A friend in Oklahoma had been making noises about wanting a wagon around the same time this guy decided he'd had enough. So I mediated between them and delivered it to the friend in Oklahoma for him to finish it.

After a lengthy discussion at his house, and making him some lists of what was done and what needed to be done, he pushed it into his garage and said he'd start on it right away. 

Safe in the knowledge I had helped two Datsun friends that day, I went back home with a smile on my face...   :thumbup:

So fast forward a bit. The friend in Oklahoma and I spoke on the phone a few times here and there and every time I asked how the car was doing the subject was quickly changed. That's weird...

So after roughly 6 years, I get a call from him and he says "Do you know anyone who would want this wagon?". Turns out he pushed it into his garage, put the car cover on it, and then for the next 6 years never even touched it...  :blush:

A friend on this forum had asked me a few weeks earlier if I knew of any wagons for sale. Seeing a chance once again to help out two Datsun friends at once, Tim and I hooked up the trailer and headed to Oklahoma...

crap_0025.JPG

Rolled it out of my friend's garage and yes, it looked identical to the day I dropped it off...

crap_0061.JPG

Loaded onto the trailer, we headed back home, but stopped for lunch near the border...

crap_013.JPG

Back at my house...

crap_017.JPG

It's been at my house for the last 6 months or so, while I finish up the engine swap that we started 7 years ago, and while I swap in the 200SX rear axle. The guy on this forum who bought it asked me if I would get it road worthy before shipping it out to him, so that's what I've been slowly doing.

He bought some nice SSR wheels for it, so I couldn't resist a photoshop test fit...   :rofl:

crap_005_drop_bronze.jpg

While speaking to him on the phone last night, and telling him about another local wagon I found for sale that I was thinking about buying for myself, he said "What if I just sell you the wagon in your garage?". So I said yes.  :wub:

So, that's where we are today. I've been working on this car off and on for nearly 8 years, it's been "abandoned" by 3 different owners, but never abandoned by me. So now, finally, I'm gonna finish this damn car even if it kills me...   :rofl:

• Like 2

What is the color code? Looks like SR20DetDatsun510 same color. Yeah for some reason most Datsuns get passed around. My freshly purchased Goon has a similar history of multiple owners in a short time span. But I plan on keeping her for a long time.

Cool goon and interesting story. It's as if you two were destined to end up together in the end.

I just got my goon delivered to me from the body shop yesterday. I will start a build thread soon.

Keep us posted!

I'm guess that was the goon the hatch came off you have to me yeah?

Yes, that Cactus Green hatch was originally on this car.   :thumbup:

Which should tell you why it had so much dust on it...   :rofl:

What is the color code? Looks like SR20DetDatsun510 same color. 

It's actually 2007 Chrysler Electric Blue. Don't know the code exactly. I have a habit of preferring (and recommending) modern colors on a Datsun IF you're going to do a total color change (stay OEM if you're not). This allows you to walk into your local dealer and buy touch-up paint if/when you get a chip in it.   :thumbup:

And also in this case, it will allow me to take my BRE spook to the local Dodge dealership body shop and say "paint this XXX color" and it should come back to me already color matched.  B)

It's as if you two were destined to end up together in the end.

Would certainly seem to be the case...   ^_^

What is the color code? Looks like SR20DetDatsun510 same color. 

Looking at his, it's definitely close. I think mine is a tad more subdued, but once I buff it out it could "pop" as much as his. 

510CRSXMeet4-9-11.jpg

Nice story... but is that all the pics you got? I mean its been 8 years on and off...

No, just all the pics I wanted to post. There's plenty more...   :rofl:

Also, I just never took very many during the build. A lot of these were taken by the first owner (on film!), and I recently borrowed the prints he had so I could scan them and post them here. 

Best part about this is the longer you wait the more other people pay to build your goon. Lol

Didn't think of it that way, but yeah, sort of...   :rofl:

Guest 510kamikazifreak
I also feel it bears a strong resemblance to Spencer Devivo's old wagon...

But maybe it's just the swastika wheels on it...  :P

IMG_4342.JPG

Although that pic makes it look darker than it was. Here's a more representative pic...

Pre-Grid_for_Enduro_runs.JPG

Spencers old goon..

its now green(fugly)

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24785&p=207115#p207115

:confused:

Spencers old goon..

its now green(fugly)

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24785&p=207115#p207115

:confused:

Well, I feel like I know what he was trying to do though. You buy a "famous" car you have to do something to make it your own, ya know? 

But since he's also the dude who put a 610 front end on his S13, maybe he's just a doofus...    :rofl:

Guest 510kamikazifreak
Well, I feel like I know what he was trying to do though. You buy a "famous" car you have to do something to make it your own, ya know? 

But since he's also the dude who put a 610 front end on his S13, maybe he's just a doofus...    :rofl:

I can agree,But the color just...wel you know..

The 610240 is one of a kind, like....

Awesome story. I thought we were punished when they shut down that 210 thread, I mean I understand cause it wasn't a buy anymore, but man it was like the teacher popped our hands for passing notes :P

Can't wait to see what you do with this one. Oh, and I will probably ask you if you have parts after I get my next check. I don't have a stockpile of my own yet.