71 510 Wagon project

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. FYI, I'll be using 16x7.5 +33 wheels all around, and since the rear track is being widened 2", I need the track width gain up front.

Dont worry, I completely understand. I was thinking of putting in a Volvo 240 axle which is 55.5 inches wide. I would need wider track in the front to match. That was my plan, but now Im not so sure...

Volvo 240 has disc brakes, a separate ebrake (doesnt compress the caliper), and a dana 30 differential (so easy to find stuff for)

Dont worry, I completely understand. I was thinking of putting in a Volvo 240 axle which is 55.5 inches wide...

Volvo 240 has disc brakes, a separate ebrake (doesnt compress the caliper), and a dana 30 differential (so easy to find stuff for)

Interesting. Redrill the axles/rotors?

Mainly just using the 200SX axle because the driveshaft bolts right up, wheel bolt pattern is the same, and the disc brakes obviously.

There are plans afoot to do an IRS conversion eventually, so this may just be sort of temporary anyway.  :rofl:

Funny...  ^_^

But no. They sent me rear pads for an '82-83 200SX which uses a totally different style of caliper. My rear axle uses the earlier calipers. So either look for pads elsewhere or update to '82 calipers. Which I like better, so...  :rofl:

So, on to the front brakes...

Chucked the M30 strut into the vise, Z31 hub/rotor pops right on. Good sign...

crap_0092.jpg

Slipped on the Z32 aluminum caliper, bolts go right in...

crap_0121.jpg

Caliper centers up well on the rotor...

crap_0111.jpg

Job done.  :thumbup:

crap_0104.jpg

So, chucked up the wheel and it sort of fits...  :rofl:

crap_0131.jpg

Turns out the wheel clears the caliper just fine. But the word NISSAN cast into the caliper face rubs the spokes of the wheel. So grind it off? No chance...

3mm spacer...

crap_014.jpg

That's better. About 2mm between the wheel spokes and caliper...

crap_015.jpg

Air valve clears very well (problem on 2pc wheels)...

crap_016.jpg

Now that I know this combo works, I took it all back apart. Will order up some new rotors, already got new pads, clean and paint the calipers, then put it all back together next weekend.   :thumbup:

• Like 1

Had some "homemade" camber plates kicking around so decided to use them. They are designed to use 240Z bits, so...

Took a 240Z upper spring hat, cut a 2" hole in the center of it, slipped it on the M30 strut...

crap_0191.jpg

Tim welding it up for me...

crap_020.jpg

Had a pair of 280ZX Konis yellows kicking around so decided to pop one in. No go. Apparently the M30 tube is 1" shorter than a 280ZX. Who would've thought...

So, also had a pair of double adjustable MR2 Konis gathering dust. Regardless of how nasty they look, they are actually brand new. They've been used for mockup a few times (hence the scratches) and got a bit of overspray on them when I was painting some wheels... 

crap_0171.jpg

Made some 1" spacers and dropped them in the tube...

crap_018.jpg

Inserts installed, 240Z springs on, camber plates on (uses 240Z upper hat and isolator and custom top plate). 

crap_021.jpg

You may also notice that in that last pic, I trimmed the spring seats a bit. The M30 spring seat is offset to one side (no idea why) so once Tim had welded the 240Z spring seat on, I cut around it so it just pokes out a tiny bit. 

So, in summation:

M30 strut + Z31 hub/rotor + Z32 aluminum caliper = Bolt-on Awesomesauce  :thumbup:

M30 strut is 1" shorter than a 280ZX strut so extra bonus of more suspension travel on lowered car.  :thumbup:

As nice as that is, those flares arent me. They just dont flow well... I think I had seem some slightly wider flares on a BMW that I liked. They were just the stock fenders but looked like you could weld in the edges to make them work. Looked closer to stock, just wider.