FOUND: No longer need a U67 Head

EDIT:  I got one.  Thanks.

Like the title says, I'm looking for a U67 head or any other 4-cylinder, open-chambered head with square exhaust ports.  Per that definition, I could also be interested in a U60 casting or maybe even an open A87 -- not a 210 though.

I don't want a shaved head (although .020 shave would probably be fine), I don't want a warped head, and I don't want to mess around with bent or burnt valves or totally worn valve seats.  If it's missing valve train parts (lash pads, rockers, cam towers, cam...) that's fine.

Let me know what you got!  I'm hoping to find a head local in the Portland (Oregon) area.  I'd be willing to spend $$$ for the right head, but I'm not in the market for a super expensive ported race head.  I just want to go mostly stock for a daily driver.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad idea!  Yes I have a closed A87 right now, and it has the bigger intake valves, cam, and a somewhat haphazard looking port job.  But the thing is that I would want you to think that I'm guaranteeing my head is perfect.

I've still got some unwanted engine noise, and I can't tell where it's coming from.  I suspect valvetrain, but I figured I could try open combustion chambers while I'm trying out a new head so as to lower the CR.  I have adjusted the valves per factory spec, and the head was leak down tested at the shop and checked out fine, but there is still noise at idle and under load.  At this point I'm wondering if something is sticking in the valvetrain?

If you want to swap, that would be cool.  I was hoping to buy something so that I had the option of swapping my cam and springs and such onto the new head, but I wouldn't be too upset if I never saw that cam again.

Im actually a little scared to put a closed chamber on my engine. That would push it to 9.9:1 CR. Im already running Premium on warm days with my current 9.3:1.

But you arent pinging? I wonder what the noise would be...

With my overbore and .030'' shave on the closed head, I think I'm running at least 9.3 also.  My engine idle sounds more like the diesel rabbit I drove in high school than an L20B, and it's definitely coming from somewhere in the top end.  I've also got a lot of blowby coming out of the valve cover breather.  I figured buying an unthrashed head will be cheaper and easier than diagnosing whatever the mystery issue is.

Well I got my head from the JY. Paid $70 for it, tan plugs, no residue under the rockers (could see clean bare metal!), and once I pulled the head, the head gasket was lookin good. I checked the head with my straight edge and it looked good. New stem seals, and now my motor is happy.

dont we all get air comming out the valve cover?

pull the crank case vent tube and ck it there at idel if it smaells bad or shine a flashlight at nite and if ytou see smoke then maybe a popped ring piston?

if one uses aftermarket lash pads and still uses the stock retainer it could be noisyer. as the lash pads arent fully secure and it rocks in the retainer..

Most after market reatainers are taller.

I dont think your cam was big enough to cause all this trouble myself. I says its not the cam per say.

I have a round port exhaust head I would just give you if you lived close to try out. Dont know if it would work.on square exhaust.

if one uses aftermarket lash pads and still uses the stock retainer it could be noisyer. as the lash pads arent fully secure and it rocks in the retainer..

Most after market reatainers are taller.

Interesting theory.  Perhaps the PO didn't setup the cam properly?  It looks like they did, but looks don't mean much.

Rockers look stock.  Springs, retainers, and lash pads are all aftermarket.  I think I remember correctly that I have .220'' lash pads and what look like matching retainers.  Rotating the cam by hand, I don't notice any springs binding or anything like that.  The wipe pattern is also centered now too.  Time to swap the head and see if the problem persists...

Here's my current head.

DSCN1307.jpg

DSCN1308.jpg

I have mint A87 head that the intakes were ported to 1.5, its open chambered I would trade for a closed chambered head. If your not set up for closed chambered, your burn holes in your pistons... Especially if you have a worn bottom end.

With my overbore and .030'' shave on the closed head, I think I'm running at least 9.3 also.  My engine idle sounds more like the diesel rabbit I drove in high school than an L20B, and it's definitely coming from somewhere in the top end.  I've also got a lot of blowby coming out of the valve cover breather.  I figured buying an unthrashed head will be cheaper and easier than diagnosing whatever the mystery issue is.

I ran the numbers and get 9.4 This is + - a bit so your close.

An uncut open chamber head will give you 8.51

I've got a bare A87 open chamber, and a W58 closed with no cam or towers. I know you said open chamber though. Mebbe you wanna come take a look sometime. Also have a W53 on my L18 for sale. Engine was reportedly rebuilt in late 80's, and not run a whole lot. It certainly looks it, and the compression test showed 165 each cylinder, very even readings, and re-tested a few times. Sellin whole motor for $120, mebbe that's also something to think about. W53 was rare to have closed chamber, so it should be open.

Here some pics:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/52046-datsun-goodies-fs/

Assuming all your lash pads are sitting slightly above the retainers?

Looks like 1 and 4 (from left) in pic are below????

Yeah, it looks like maybe all of the lash pads are sitting just a little below the retainers.  So perhaps these are taller retainers for .250 - .340 lash pads?  I never knew exactly how they were supposed to sit in there, so I assumed nothing was wrong.  But the questions remains, would too tall retainers make all that noise?  It seems as if something would eventually wear to the point that there wouldn't be any more noise.  I'd bet there are at least 37,000 miles on this head with this cam setup.

I've got a bare A87 open chamber, and a W58 closed with no cam or towers. I know you said open chamber though. Mebbe you wanna come take a look sometime. Also have a W53 on my L18 for sale. Engine was reportedly rebuilt in late 80's, and not run a whole lot. It certainly looks it, and the compression test showed 165 each cylinder, very even readings, and re-tested a few times. Sellin whole motor for $120, mebbe that's also something to think about. W53 was rare to have closed chamber, so it should be open.

Here some pics:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/52046-datsun-goodies-fs/

I'm guessing by bare A87, you mean no valves - no nothing.  And the W58 has round exhaust ports, right?  I have a W58 sitting around, but I am not setup for round exhaust ports, nor do I want to be.

The W53 is interesting to me.  I thought I read on Olddatsuns.com that W53 heads were "closed with some exceptions."  I suppose even if it is closed, so long as it is unshaved it would bump the compression down a little?  I may have to come out and take a look at that, but it probably wouldn't be until the 23rd.  I would probably want to port it to match my Mikuni manifold.  1.25'' intake ports, right?

I have mint A87 head that the intakes were ported to 1.5, its open chambered I would trade for a closed chambered head. If your not set up for closed chambered, your burn holes in your pistons... Especially if you have a worn bottom end.

This could be nice, but Caldwell is a little far, and I can't afford to have my goon undriveable for more than a weekend.

Yeah, W58 round exhauast. IDK what chamber type the W53 has, never have taken the head off. But the motor is certainly in nice shape. Too bad you wern't up at the vancouver PNP during that 50% off day. We scavenged some good stuff off the '73 620. Had an L20 swapped in, think the head was W58, good time to buy a head. They crushed that truck way earlier than they should have. Damn vancouver hillbillys.

I have a nos, new, never used, still in factory box with factory lube u67 head straight from japan. 500 $ becouse the demand seems pretty high.

Tempting.  I, like any other Ratsun member, would love to have an NOS head, but I'm going to need a more economical solution.

I have a U67 I pulled off a running L20.

Seaside?  Coming into P-town any time soon?  Pics?

Yeah, it looks like maybe all of the lash pads are sitting just a little below the retainers.  So perhaps these are taller retainers for .250 - .340 lash pads?  I never knew exactly how they were supposed to sit in there, so I assumed nothing was wrong.  But the questions remains, would too tall retainers make all that noise?  It seems as if something would eventually wear to the point that there wouldn't be any more noise.  I'd bet there are at least 37,000 miles on this head with this cam setup.

Well...it looks like the rockers have been hitting the retainers..????...not good, which could be the noise you are hearing.

I would find shorter retainers....or....if possible..... thicker pads if your pattern is not quite centered

Pad should sit slightly above retainer...never below

Bump.

Still looking for a U67.  I don't want to throw any more money at my existing setup, not right now anyway.

I found a U67 head at the Portland South Pick-n-Pull yesterday, but it's on a truck that they aren't parting out.  They got it running, so it's being sold complete.  I'm going to go check out the Sherwood Pick-n-Pull next weekend.

• 1 month later...
Well...it looks like the rockers have been hitting the retainers..????...not good, which could be the noise you are hearing.

I would find shorter retainers....or....if possible..... thicker pads if your pattern is not quite centered

Pad should sit slightly above retainer...never below

Yesterday, I finished installing a U67 with a stock cam and valve train.  The engine is SOOOOOOO quiet now!  ...well, for a Datsun.  I couldn't believe what a difference it made.

In looking at my old head, some of the lash pads (the part that the rocker rests on) are definitely below the upper part of the retainers.  I blame this for all of the engine noise.  In retrospect, it was REALLY bad.  Extremely noisy.  I drove it like that for the better part of two years, too.  This is my first Datsun, and I just didn't know any better until I started noticing that everyone else's Datsuns sounded quieter and better than mine.

Anyway, now I think I have an exhaust leak, but that's no big deal.  I think the Mikuni manifold is thicker than the cast iron header.  Time for those to come off and get them to the same thickness...

Thanks for your help Sealik.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.