Grille Works 620 grilles

Steroid

Back in the day, there was a company making AWESOME grilles for most minis. What He did was to add metal to the outside area of the grille, using curved square tubing to make the grille look complete. These were very "high end" and only the best trucks had one. Most guys cut Their stock grille to just accomodate the tube grille in the center area. We would paint the stock outside area and go with that. But these grilles really were a work of art. Naturally, the bezels are from a 1975/76 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I am running those same bezels on Funtana and Choptana today.  As We are finding more and more vintage custom items, such as Coonan valve covers and such, I thought I would post the original ad from Truckin'Magazine, July 1978.

Truckin071978_zps89fe592e.jpg

Grilleworks_zps74f7fcaa.jpg

Any of You guys ever run across one of those grilles in a wrecking yard?

• Like 2
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that style of grill is so played out now its not even cool.I would rather have NO grill than one of those tubes.I personally have seen 3 of those grills at the junkyard.Maybe not the mono-grill pictured above but the square tube grills.

• Like 1

I love a round tube grille almost as much as a billet one. What I hate is those overpriced ugly redneck abominations made of black mesh, lots of rivets, with a big slab of metal in the center with whatever company name in it. Or the chrome gangsta versions.

• Like 1
Gearhead- everyones entitled to an opinion even if your wrong.

These grills are a part of Mini trucking history & in fact im running a square tube grill on my 720.

Gearhead- everyones entitled to an opinion even if your wrong.

These grills are a part of Mini trucking history & in fact im running a square tube grill on my 720.

they are part of mini-truckin history I know, but when every tom,dick,and harry with ANY vehicle thinks its cool its too much.They get played out so much its boring when you see it.Same way with chevy 350's in toyota 4x4's. I live in a small town and I used to think the billet grills and v8 swapped stuff was cool,but even here it gets done so often its rather boring.

yes a billet grill is a cheap and effective way to change the look of the front of your rig...

yes a v8 is a cheap and effective way to get m ore power...

but they both lack one thing. Originality.

look up custom mini-truck grill on google and the first page is full of billet grill kits for just about anything.That alone tells me its way overdone.

• Like 1

Originality is so played out. lol

gearhead ~ Steriod & PAC are into old school Datsun's and this thread is about if anyone knows of any tube grille's. 

your a newby so maybe you should take the time to read up on some of their threads and see what they have done.

these guys are trying to keep it alive (datsunoldschooltrucks) and they do a good job at doing just that. You prob wouldn't understand it since you were NOT around the 60's and 70's so let these guys do what they do, looking for old school parts. Besides, this thread wasn't asking for opinions. :) 

• Like 2

So if it is sooooo played out, how come there are only about 6 to 10 of everyone on Ratsun (300 + trucks) running them? Out of My 11 trucks only one has a tube grille and it has been on that truck since 1978.  

• Like 1

There is cool stuff in minitrucking now.Just rockin a 520 or 620 is retro enough. I just dont like the round and square tube billet grills because they are found on EVERYTHING-minitrucks,vans,motorhomes,full size trucks, SUV's, even your run of the mill toyota econobox.

then again,I tend to follow a slightly different minitruck crowd.I like low and fast,not so much low and slow.Think more racecar and less stance.