Crank pulley options?

CorAce

I'm in the process of pulling together parts for my supercharger project and am having a hard time coming up with a suitable crank pulley to fit my L20B. Any body know if any of the later model L20, LZ or KA pulleys have a grooved belt (serpentine type) section as well as the standard V  bit for the alt./waterpump that could be interchangeable. Or even a link to aftermarket parts would be great. I’ve got the rest of the system figured out for the most part, this pulley is the last piece of the puzzle.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this on CL, I'm assuming its the z24 pulley since thats what the cranks out of. It would appear that the blue portion is independent from the main pulley. Has anybody seen one of these to confirm that?

(L20head/Z22 block/Z24 crank with cut-down counterweights)

3n23I33He5F35J95M7d1f5fc3b8c2033b1065.jp

• Like 1
my z24 pully and balancer and hub are seperate peices. i can unbolt my pullys and they and the balancer will come off leaving a hub on the crank with the main center bolt holding it on.

That sound like I might be able to work with something like that. If I could fined the right pulley combo to bolt on to the hub.

Anybody out there have one of these they are willing to part with for a test fit?

Found this on CL, I'm assuming its the z24 pulley since thats what the cranks out of. It would appear that the blue portion is independent from the main pulley. Has anybody seen one of these to confirm that?

(L20head/Z22 block/Z24 crank with cut-down counterweights)

3n23I33He5F35J95M7d1f5fc3b8c2033b1065.jp

That doesn't look like the ones on my Z22/Z24's.  Mine looked like this, 2 piece. Two pulleys with a ballancer bolted to them, with a third pulley on the ballancer ( that I cut off).

IMG_1762.jpg

That doesn't look like the ones on my Z22/Z24's.  Mine looked like this, 2 piece. Two pulleys with a ballancer bolted to them, with a third pulley on the ballancer ( that I cut off).

IMG_1762.jpg

After talking with the seller of the previous mentioned engine (super nice guy), it is a standard Z24 pulley. It is hard to see from the pic, but the blue portion that I thought was a serpentine style is in fact a V type/harmonic balancer pulley. Witch as it turns out would have been too small for my application anyways. I need something in the 6 in. range.

i have one from a Z22, 2 pieces & balancer. looks new (its not).

looks similiar to the pic. V belt only.

doesnt fit due to my swaybar.

PM an offer.

That sounds like it could work. I really only need the hub and pulley and maybe the bolts, not the balancer. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the L 4's are internally balanced. Any chance you could post up some pics here for future search references?

That would be a good new product: L series serpentine setup.

I've been making serpentine pulleys for 15 years. TONS of them for Holley, who owns B and M blowers and Weiand as well. Now I make them for a company that builds concrete floor polishers. From 2" idlers to 14" monsters. Just made some for a blown flathead.

It would be a fun project, but I dont know if there is enough of a market.

Corace, You want to incorperate that harmonic damper into whatever you make. Not hard to cut the pulley off it. 

D52E,

thanks for posting up pics, that looks like the "full hot order" for my needs. I did a quick search on autozone and it looks like the crank seal is the same for the L20 and Z24, so I think it should fit without any problems. Anybody know if the main V pulley is the same diameter?

I've been making serpentine pulleys for 15 years. TONS of them for Holley, who owns B and M blowers and Weiand as well. Now I make them for a company that builds concrete floor polishers. From 2" idlers to 14" monsters. Just made some for a blown flathead.

It would be a fun project, but I dont know if there is enough of a market.

Corace, You want to incorperate that harmonic damper into whatever you make. Not hard to cut the pulley off it. 

EricJB

I'm not sure if its needed the L20B's don't have them, but it might be a nice upgrade if it has any real relevance to the performance. That would have to come from someone that knows engines better than me. Do you make the pulleys from scratch or patch them together form other parts. I would be willing to come up with some funds if this is a project you would consider taking on. PM me a price for your time. All the parts for this project are readily available except the pulley. I will be doing a write up on this once I get all the components together, so it could mean more to be made.

Also because the L20B was fully counterweighted, whereas the Z22/Z24 were not.

It does have a SLIGHT effect on HP.  Any added rotating mass does.  But it's so small it's unnoticeable, and the positives of reducing vibration (vibration/harmonics cause faster bearing wear and harmonics alone can fracture a crankshaft) outweigh not having it.  The L20B and Z20 didn't need it because they were fully balanced at the crank, but that was an even larger weight penalty than the end damper.

EricJB

I'm not sure if its needed the L20B's don't have them, but it might be a nice upgrade if it has any real relevance to the performance. That would have to come from someone that knows engines better than me. Do you make the pulleys from scratch or patch them together form other parts. I would be willing to come up with some funds if this is a project you would consider taking on. PM me a price for your time. All the parts for this project are readily available except the pulley. I will be doing a write up on this once I get all the components together, so it could mean more to be made.

Any machine shop with a cnc turning center should be able to knock one out for you. They will need some kind of drawing. I've made parts from dimensions written on napkins from a bar.

Not knowing what your set up is exactly, I would think you could have one made that would sandwich between the hub and the damper, just like the two groove pulley does. Then use the pulley on the damper to run the alternater.

securedownload13_zps40a70bd5.jpg

securedownload14_zps597bfd47.jpg

Here is a couple pics I took just walking through the shop today. Some big ones coming through next week. If you know someone with a manual, They can plunge the grooves with a VNMG, and space the grooves .140 from each other. Than clean it up with a file and scotchbrite.