SMOG PROBLEM ON 78 DATSUN B210 GX

Daryl

I AM PLANNING TO BUY A 1978 DATSUN WHICH FROM WHAT I KNOW REQUIRES SMOG. THE ENGINE IS GOOD (198,000 MILES, AND NEEDS A TUNE-UP), BUT THE TRANSMISSION IS BAD. NOW THE PROBLEM IS I AM IN A PLACE WHERE SMOG IS REQUIRED, BUT THE VEHICLE IS NOT ABLE TO BE MOVED, AND THE OWNER WILL NOT DO IT. I CAN'T REGISTER IT ON MY NAME, BECAUSE THERE IS NO SMOG CERTIFICATE (DMV SAYS), BUT GLADLY IT HAS A TITLE. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED, WHAT SHOULD I DO?????

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should ask the DMV if they have an "affidavit of non use".  I file one of these each year for vehicles that I am either working on or waiting to work on. Don't know it they have those in CA but it is worth it to ask.  Here if you file one there are no registration fees or penalties.

You can register/transfer it into your name without a smog. The smog is needed to get the tags. Depending on where you live in CA, the smog check will need to be done on a dyno, which would be a problem with a bad trans. The thing too is it is based on where the car was last registered, not where it currently is so you may live in an area that does not require a dyno check, but if it came from a place that does, the you need to do the dyno check. CA does have a PNO (planned non operation) you can file if you are not expecting to drive it after you pay the fees current.

Mark

I AM PLANNING TO BUY A 1978 DATSUN WHICH FROM WHAT I KNOW REQUIRES SMOG. THE ENGINE IS GOOD (198,000 MILES, AND NEEDS A TUNE-UP), BUT THE TRANSMISSION IS BAD. NOW THE PROBLEM IS I AM IN A PLACE WHERE SMOG IS REQUIRED, BUT THE VEHICLE IS NOT ABLE TO BE MOVED, AND THE OWNER WILL NOT DO IT. I CAN'T REGISTER IT ON MY NAME, BECAUSE THERE IS NO SMOG CERTIFICATE (DMV SAYS), BUT GLADLY IT HAS A TITLE. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED, WHAT SHOULD I DO?????

Yes it can be registered. The situation is one I know well. The process will not be completed up until you smog the car, so the registration will be called " Registration in Transit" or "Incomplete Registration".

So you are right in the sense that you can not register the vehicle at your name untill the smog issue is cleared, that is to say up untill the car is smogged and succesfully passes the smog test. You can initiate the process but you will only hold a "registration in process, in transit, incomplete". That car will not have stickers on it's license plates and hence it will not be drivable nor could it be parked  on a street. If a policeman on patrol or parking enforcement officer finds you car parked on the streets ( say outside your home ) they will not only issue a parking ticket, but because the registration is an incomplete registration or in transit, they will tow your car away .

So make sure you park it inside your property.  If the car runs, you can go to the DMV at time of registration( to start the process.) and request a one day permit to drive it to your place. If the car does not run, call AAA or a friend that is a member of that car club and tow it to your home free of charge.

My advice is don't buy it unless you are planning to leave CA.  Buy a '75 or older if you're planning to stay, otherwise you will forever be plagued by smog laws and will have to maintain a dying breed and ever disappearing smog components.

That is true. However, if the car iks in good shape bodywise, I would get it and later on hunt for a broken, burnt,( whatever the condition is ) 75 or earlier B210, and then build a good car out of the good body and other parts. You can use your 75 or older registration and build a nice car. Cars this old are hard to find with good bodies, so if this body is good, do not let it pass.