1971 Datsun 521 Snack Shack

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it got tweaked up a little in install ... my buddy grabbed a brass mallot.....bing .....broke ....we shoulda just pulled it ... I had already tapped it straight the last time.......this was while I was laying on my back realizing I put the 620 pan back on and while the steering its centered it rubs the linkage enough to be dangerous...fucking stud about took my eye out........was gonna yank the motor back out but decided to try to do the head while it was in the truck .....oh well hopefully the can get it out ... or I have a used head for sale fresh machine and stem seals .....

on a plus note though....over the weekend .....while I wasn't looking

hans took all three radiators to work and had a machininst make bungs and welded them in for temp switch'....welds nicer then the champion ones.....definitely not mine or his work lol...

IMG_20130920_204036_zps17d779f4.jpg

IMG_20130920_204104_zps1a186ecc.jpg

• Like 1

that 521 I got from up north had the same thing dude, 620 oil pan on the motor.  I didn't know it until i pulled the motor out. It was a fuck to pull out, i had to undo the steering link in order to get it out, then once it was out i saw that the pan was being hit and was rubbing.  It wasn't just a little bit, it had worn into it pretty good.  I don't think it had much longer until it rubbed thru. you imagine popping a hole in it mashing down I5 or something? Quick way to sieze the motor :blink:

yeah I layed there after the stud about took my head off and pondered,  is it that bad a rub??  then decided ..yeah not gonna fly ... I yanked the pan off my 1600......wonder if I need the pick u too or if the 620 will work ...need less to say gonna drop the crossmeber and the steering linkage to replace the pan in the truck ... yuck,  but I don't wanna go back to on a stand...and yes to install,  I had to drop the linkage but to be honest I do that everytime since trying to use a 510 pan in my truck ..... its just easier and less likely to scratch my freshly pc'd pan...

easy man. just compare the pickup tubes once you get the oil pan off. hold it up to it, shaped same? same length?

Sometimes i have to switch the pickup tube, sometimes i swap the pan and notice its the same effing pickup tube. maybe the wrong one already or, the right one already :rofl:  I just make sure i don't hear it hit the bottom when i put the pan on, and also its going in the direction it needs (towards the bottom where the oil actually sets in the pan)

can take a tape measure and measure how tall the pickup tube is and then measure the depth of the oil pan real quick to know if it's too short.

after not sleeping the night before I got a wild hair last night and went and worked on my truck instead of going to bed....well went from ..

IMG_20130922_174159_zpsa42566fa.jpg

to

IMG_20130926_230801_zps079a037e.jpg

IMG_20130926_230513_zpse784d3ea.jpg

got the oil pan there too but after getting the head back on and the timing chain on I was pooped... oh yeah I fought with my timing wedge cuz I tapped it a few too many times ....but it came out....the su's are just sitting on there for visual....thank u again adam .... I am excited to bolt them on and see what u with them ... I got a rebuild kit somewhere to I can throw on too......thought about tossing the radiator in for the last time but remembered I hadn't slept in 30 some odd hours...was gonna go rogue and sleep tin the front seat of hans sedan but rembered it was supposed to rain this am and he was on his bike so he would probably slap his wet riding jacket on me ...wait .... nevermind that came out wrong...anyway almost back to where I was last sunday ... well almost I gotta swap the pan still then I can be at square one again.,...gonna try to be at su tuning by suday ..... but that was the plan last weekend when I had more time .. we will see...

• Like 2