GOONS check in

gokiburix

I say I won't bring back another set of wheels from Japan, but I'm determined to find a clean set of Star Sharks in a nice offset, or Riverside Riverges. For reference, 3 14x6.5J fit in a cut down box just makes the size requirement for check-in luggage, and 1 in a suitcase packed with clothes- perfect. LAX customs laughed when they x-rayed my baggage and realized I had a full set of wheels in my check-in baggage. Just make sure you get a ride to the airport because I couldn't imagine trying to take a series of trains to Narita with a box of wheels. Although if you're already in Chiba, you're a lot closer. I usually stay in Tokyo (Meguro-Shinagawa area) so it's a bit of a hike by train.

I've brought back as many as 5 NJS keirin frames at one point, along with several crank and hubsets. I have 2 Kalavinka frames, one custom made for me, the other is a restoration project that will get repainted in the same color as my wagon, whatever that color may be.

I do live in Socal- and have missed every JCCS event, sadly. I will be there this year though!

@ DRIVEN

I'll have to check my hard drive when I get home for shots of the JDM wagon trim. My wife actually snapped all the pics at Refresh as my friends and I were too busy chatting with Masato-san and going through all his goodies.

It was "refreshingly" daily driver looking though, and I'm assuming has been repainted at some point of its life. Drum brakes up front too. Forgot to ask if there were plans for this wagon, or simply a parts chaser...too busy wiping the drool off my chin soaking in everything at his shop.

4145915741_5aabde9595.jpg

4146676490_b629b5bc56.jpg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say I won't bring back another set of wheels from Japan, but I'm determined to find a clean set of Star Sharks in a nice offset, or Riverside Riverges. For reference, 3 14x6.5J fit in a cut down box just makes the size requirement for check-in luggage, and 1 in a suitcase packed with clothes- perfect. LAX customs laughed when they x-rayed my baggage and realized I had a full set of wheels in my check-in baggage. Just make sure you get a ride to the airport because I couldn't imagine trying to take a series of trains to Narita with a box of wheels. Although if you're already in Chiba, you're a lot closer. I usually stay in Tokyo (Meguro-Shinagawa area) so it's a bit of a hike by train.

I've brought back as many as 5 NJS keirin frames at one point, along with several crank and hubsets. I have 2 Kalavinka frames, one custom made for me, the other is a restoration project that will get repainted in the same color as my wagon, whatever that color may be.

I do live in Socal- and have missed every JCCS event, sadly. I will be there this year though!

@ DRIVEN

I'll have to check my hard drive when I get home for shots of the JDM wagon trim. My wife actually snapped all the pics at Refresh as my friends and I were too busy chatting with Masato-san and going through all his goodies.

It was "refreshingly" daily driver looking though, and I'm assuming has been repainted at some point of its life. Drum brakes up front too. Forgot to ask if there were plans for this wagon, or simply a parts chaser...too busy wiping the drool off my chin soaking in everything at his shop.

4145915741_5aabde9595.jpg

4146676490_b629b5bc56.jpg

Yeah I get to travel with my friends passes so I have no luggage or weight restriction so I can bring wheels back if needed. chiba is closer but still lugging boxes of wheels is a bit of a pain. I would laugh if I saw a wheel in a suitcase. how often do you go to japan? I have been there 4 times in one year. and may be back in april.

sweet pics your wife took of the wagon. that car is clean. It can get distracting talking and looking at all the items he has. it is refreshing as he is not stingy or greedy about stuff. seems like you are steady into bikes or the fixed gear scene. I just picked up a mission bikes valencia frame and almost done with my motobecane and have my daily commuter 80's univega converted but I run a coaster brake rear wheel. lots of fun. I am cheap when it comes to bikes as i don't want to get it stolen as bike theft is big in san francisco.

maybe if I come down to so cal I can meet up with you and kick it or bring my bike and go riding?

Bob what is the vin number on your 68? Our's is 1100 kinda low. The "8" in the vin code just means wagon.

here is a pic of our wagon in "drivable" condition, it still needs a few things but it drove back about 15 miles from the exhaust shop.

goon%20pics%20new%20year%20145.jpg

• Like 1

Ice^^^ The goon lays perfect man. minitub right? got more pics? I know you have thread on that one but I cant find it.

No mini tub, the fenders where rolled by the PO using channel locks so 5x7 zero's fit after we swapped in the IRS with no issues. Later we would like to get some 14x7 zeros so it can go a bit lower. Right now the tires hit the top of the fender wells, we don't want to cut anything on the inside just to keep the inside unmolested. It will be at Golden Gardens this year for sure!!!!!

Goki- i like the baja seats & new rims. On the ones i have i wet sanded them with 220, 320 then 600. Followed by Mothers polish by hand a few times. Keep in mind the more you sand, the shinier they will look in the end.

Heres my strutless wagon awaiting the 280ZX parts to be installed...

1265229801.jpg