New to forums - Is this 610 a steal of a deal? Help?!

Hi there All - I'm new to the forums, so I apologize to any Mod's that may need to move this thread around.

I'm just curious if I can get your guys' opinion on a vehicle I have at my disposal. It's being sold up here in Alberta, canada (dont make fun of me, haha) for cheap... like I'm talking its almost down to a case of beer cheap.

I have always loved these cars, and would love to restore one - but it'll also be my daily driver so it'll be a long-term project.

The vehicles VIN is PL610-050202 - for any of you that are able to retrieve some insight using that number.

Its a 73 610 Sedan, all original with the exception of OEM parts used to help keep it on the road. The thing fires up faster than my 05 maxima, idles great, clutch seems responsive, no massive noises in the tranny while sitting stationary that I could hear anyway. Isn't leaking anything as it's sat in a driveway for a few weeks now and there is nothing on the ground. Engine itself has some oil on it, and it appears as though it was a leaky valvecover or something at some point. Looks like very old oil. Doesn't blow blue smoke even on start up. It's currently not insured so we couldn't actually take it for a test run anywhere.

Downsides, as you'll notice in the pictures, is that it DOES suffer from quite a bit of rust. It seems like one of the few owners the car has had (98k original miles), has cut out the rust, and then blindly tac welded on a piece of sheet metal to cover the hole. There is also a bit of bondo in the odd place like the front passenger fender where more rust was poorly addressed.

All things considered though, all the lights work, heat works fine, weather stripping in wonderful condition, and the interior is in absolutely amazing shape given the age. Barely even has drivers side damage to what I only assume is a plastic/leather-ette material. Even the wiper fluid motor works, ha!

Just want an opinion on whether or not I should snatch this up at the cost of next to nothing (minus the grief from the significant other, that is)..

This is LITERALLY the first one I have seen for sale in my general vacinity, and until today I have never actually seen a 610 in person. Sad, I know... but I've always loved em.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and don't worry about hurting my feelings. If you think its not even worth starting a project from, please be candid.

Thanks very much!!

Post Scriptum - as soon as I figure out how to attach pictures, I have about a half dozen or so to share! lol, sigh.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So thats all of them... got easier with photobucket once I knew the quirks surrounding the use of Flash player making simple things more complicated then they should be. But anyway....

So thats the car. It's a bit more than a case of beer, he's asking less than $1000 CAD. I would agree with the parts car comment if I actually owned on already, lol, but this would be my first, and it would subsequently be my ONLY car on the road in about 3 weeks time... so? Opinions!!? Thoughts??  Thanks in advance, had a hell of a response so far.

I've got him down to $400 bucks, and my xbox 360 system/games. (havent played it in ages anyway) ha! Who knew the guy was a gamer?

Got a rough insurance quote... only will cost me $31 per month. I spend more than that on lottery tickets every month.

I guess all I need to know now from those of you that use these things as a daily driver is this - am I making a HUGE mistake relying on this beast?  Or will my leap of faith be worth it in the long run??

I'm no stranger to modifying/restoring cars, well, mechanically anyway... bodywork has never been my Forte... I've own a wide variety of modified vehicles from a DC powerplanted 87 Integra, 2 seperate 88 mustangs (one almost stock, the other I dumped about $15k into), and a 1980 Pontiac Sunbird back in the day that was my first toy... so i mean if the thing breaks down I won't be heartbroken...

I guess I'm hoping someone will just slap me in the face and tell me I'd be an idiot to pass this up. They're so rare up here it's silly...

But thanks to you all for your feedback so far...

I'm not a fan of 610's, but this one looks in pretty good shape. And you like it so that's 2 points. and it's $400+a xbox. this is a major score. especially if you don't see very many in your neck of the woods. Buy it. It will break down on you here and there but you say you're mechanically inclined so that's not a big deal.

i repeat, BUY IT!

Best of all is that it's been used and was recently on the road. Nothing worse than one that been sitting for 10 months but 'was running when parked'. They tend to have a problem not fixed and everything rusts and seizes up on them. Hopefully the cancer is only what's been shown. Are the floors solid? Underside solid? Trunk solid?

Another problem area is just under the rear window. Open trunk and reach in above the gas tank. The metal under the glass tends to rot away here.

does it run, drive, and stop as is? 

Runs seemingly solid. Only issue is the guy is a "self proclaimed" mechanic, but from the looks of all his projects he had sitting around I would hope he knows a little about what he's doing. Spruced up the front end suspension with some parts to keep it as close to stock as possible. Not sure what "front end" meant to this guy, but he mentioned it'll need a wheel alignment. I was unable to test drive it as there isnt any insurance on it atm. BUT! I started it up, ran through the gears, played with the clutch a bit, e-brake works fine, brakes didnt squeak when I let it slowly roll down an inclined driveway. So I'm hoping that it runs well, yes. The seller is very confident it will make the short 35 mile or so jaunt from where its being sold to where I live without any issues other than perhaps the aforementioned wheel alignment issue.

Best of all is that it's been used and was recently on the road. Nothing worse than one that been sitting for 10 months but 'was running when parked'. They tend to have a problem not fixed and everything rusts and seizes up on them. Hopefully the cancer is only what's been shown. Are the floors solid? Underside solid? Trunk solid?

Another problem area is just under the rear window. Open trunk and reach in above the gas tank. The metal under the glass tends to rot away here.

Floors are solid, yes... when I opened the trunk I feared the worst, but there is only a slight showing of beginning stages of rust on the drivers side area near the tail lights... I was actually amazed at how much trunk space there was! It's like a whole other engine bay almost. I did NOT know about that area under the rear window though, so I'll have to have another look.

100% appreciate the feedback... seems like this is a fantastic forum and hopefully I'll be able to contribute something in the future. I went ahead and finalized the deal with the guy... I really think I'd be silly not too, not when I see the amazing vehicles these things have the potential to be. Especially when I already love the damn thing how it sits now! lol.

Pick it up next week sometime. Oh happy day!!