*WTB Original Datsun 510*

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 68 goon w 39k . Only mods are iron cross wheels and lowered 2 . i still have stock.wheels,caps & bias ply tires. Front seats have been recovered back seat is still great. This car came

With carpet. Its white. I would sell it for eight. Firm on price. PM me for pics w cel.

Value will only go up. Car has been in northen Az since new Im told.NO RUST

I also gotta ask guys, what are the odds of finding one of these 510s with an original window sticker??? It's like the cherry on top for me...

I've been into 510's since 1990 and I've never seen an original window sticker in person...so unless you're finding a one owner car and that owner kept EVERYTHING, I would say not very likely.  

• Like 1
Did u get a chance to check out the car?

I did, actually! The car needed a good wash, but the body looked to be in good shape. The paint has definitely aged more than the pictures make it seem, and it looks like there is some very slight surface rust on the verge of developing, but at this point it's just aesthetic and hardly even that. The owner informed me that the carbs desperately needed tuning, and that the plugs are all pretty much black right now. He was able to start it with the assistance of starting fluid, but the motor wouldn't stay running. Interior is also original and clean, but also looks pretty aged, the driver's seat was a little torn up. Dash was in great shape, just a small crack right above the glovebox. Also, the gas pedal was disconnected because it broke off, apparently, but he had a new one ready to put in. Also needs new tires, the ones on there have tread but they've been sitting for a long time and really dried up/cracked. Lastly, someone decided the car should be green, and started with a foot or two of paint on the left front fender, and then changed their mind apparently. He also has a new left front fender to throw on there, too. Most the rubber is actually in really good shape, with the exception of the passenger side door, still seals he says but it is pretty dried and cracked. He also has the replacement rubber for that. I snapped some extra pictures if anyone wants.

I've been looking around Southern California for a 510 in good shape, but I'm on the fence with this one. I definitely would want it repainted asap, and while the motor and carbs are supposedly pretty fresh, it makes me a little nervous that the car wasn't tuned to at least be running. Even though aside from the paint most the issues were minor, it would've helped catch my interest a bit more if those things were taken care of before seeing it.

And I've learned some people are just unreliable....talked to that guy named Art the other day who seemed really genuine. Unfortunatly, he hasn't returned any of my calls or anything. I'm really surprised, I guess even the nicest people aren't always what they may seem :/

You will find you may have your best luck reaching those guys that are consistently on the forums or are recommended by those on the forums, rather than reaching out to random people, like you'll find off of CL or any other various sites.  

I did, actually! The car needed a good wash, but the body looked to be in good shape. The paint has definitely aged more than the pictures make it seem, and it looks like there is some very slight surface rust on the verge of developing, but at this point it's just aesthetic and hardly even that. The owner informed me that the carbs desperately needed tuning, and that the plugs are all pretty much black right now. He was able to start it with the assistance of starting fluid, but the motor wouldn't stay running. Interior is also original and clean, but also looks pretty aged, the driver's seat was a little torn up. Dash was in great shape, just a small crack right above the glovebox. Also, the gas pedal was disconnected because it broke off, apparently, but he had a new one ready to put in. Also needs new tires, the ones on there have tread but they've been sitting for a long time and really dried up/cracked. Lastly, someone decided the car should be green, and started with a foot or two of paint on the left front fender, and then changed their mind apparently. He also has a new left front fender to throw on there, too. Most the rubber is actually in really good shape, with the exception of the passenger side door, still seals he says but it is pretty dried and cracked. He also has the replacement rubber for that. I snapped some extra pictures if anyone wants.

I've been looking around Southern California for a 510 in good shape, but I'm on the fence with this one. I definitely would want it repainted asap, and while the motor and carbs are supposedly pretty fresh, it makes me a little nervous that the car wasn't tuned to at least be running. Even though aside from the paint most the issues were minor, it would've helped catch my interest a bit more if those things were taken care of before seeing it.

Damn 6k for a datsun that wont drive home. prices are going up. it looks to be in good shape though.

did you look really good underneath the car for rust, the trunk and specially where the spare tire sits?  You can also do a comp. check provided seller is okay, this will give you a better reality check. Regarding tires, you will end up buying new tires and rims anyway. Does he have title at hand, any back fees from DMV? As far as gas pedal is concerned, I've been driving with my DD around for last 10 years or so with no gas pedal.  That's a minor detail and the rubbers/seals will more than likely have to be changed, unless this car has been hermatically stored. If he's asking for $6K, my experience tells me he's willing to negotiate.  You will be very lucky to find one, being over 40 years old, that is clean, no rust and runs good. If you do find one, it will be more than $6K, most of the 510s out there have been modified.....at any rate good luck.

This was never asked, but what are your plans for this original 510?

Well I mean I want a good running base to start with but over time (possibly over the summer) I plan on lowering it, doing some cosmetic stuff, and then do as much motorwork as I can on one of these engines short of a swap.

I was just quite surprised that someone who was so nice days before has now just disappeared....oh well I guess

Patience my friend.

I often forget that the people I deal with online, customers and sellers, are not online 24/7, taking every call, replying to every txt n email ASAP. Unlike me some folks actually have lives, n families, n "jobs" n such. You know.... that other stuff.

Maybe Art is that nice guy.

Maybe he is just busy for now.

Maybe he is laying in / visiting a hospital.... or funeral home.

((((Art))))

But then again...

Maybe he did sell it :(

Maybe you jinxed it (mentioning his name, location, car, how nice he & the car was etc) before much was firm.

Maybe not.

I ain't mentioning shit till that check is cleared and that baby sits in my drive

(or at least it's on the way).

For what it's worth...

Art.... he is one of the good ones.

GLWP datfan

I know people aren't always responding but you can tell when someone ignores what's going on. Especially when someone doesn't return calls after a week, yet the add keeps moving around and being edited.

And I can honestly say I don't believe in that superstitious crap. If the right car comes around then so be it; regardless of what I say about the car.

Eh, I'm thinking no more than 8k....I don't know tho. Some cars may be worth more if I like it that much.

This was never asked, but what are your plans for this original 510?

Well I mean I want a good running base to start with but over time (possibly over the summer) I plan on lowering it, doing some cosmetic stuff, and then do as much motorwork as I can on one of these engines short of a swap.

Seems like your money would be better spent on starting with a decent 2-4K car, then building it to what you want, instead of modifying a 6-10K original car that will never be original again when you are done with it, eh?

Seems like your money would be better spent on starting with a decent 2-4K car, then building it to what you want, instead of modifying a 6-10K original car that will never be original again when you are done with it, eh?

This was my point... just never made it back into this thread. I sure hope you dont plan on modifying an original 510 into something short of a restoration. Im all for making a car your own, but it would be such a shame to lose a nice, original 510. I understand the desire for a straight and rust free body with little modifications so that you can do your own without having to fix the POs mistakes, but it would save you money in the long run to buy a non-original 510 to do your mods on. 

I bought mine with a minimal amount of surface rust, no modifications, and perfectly straight for about $3000. 

Well, when I say original I just mean like paint and interior. I'd also like to have the number matching motor and just do as much to that as possible. I feel where you guys are coming from. I agree it's nothing short of a sin to ruin an all original with mods and paint and stripping the interior.

Well, when I say original I just mean like paint and interior. I'd also like to have the number matching motor and just do as much to that as possible. I feel where you guys are coming from. I agree it's nothing short of a sin to ruin an all original with mods and paint and stripping the interior.

There really is no numbers matching motor... its not like they number the blocks the same as the frames. 

There really is no numbers matching motor... its not like they number the blocks the same as the frames. 

With the engine compartment tag showing the engine number, Datsuns can be more numbers matching than a lot of classic cars.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.