*WTB Original Datsun 510*

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good fricken luck finding og motor..i think youre being too picky...try to find one with excellent body firts, that is also hard, these cars are 40 yrs old!

I don't think he's necessarily looking for the original numbers matching motor, just one with the original type of motor (l16, l18, whatever).

Matching motor, orig. Motor, dont matter, ive probably had mine for like 12 yrs and frequent shows, gatherings, online, and never seen one with orig. Motor, if og then it has been rebuilt several times..just be too picky and do a reality check

Called the guy already....unfortunatly not quite right. He said "there's a few problems here and there..." Made me a little nervous, not gonna lie.

Oh thats right, I forgot a 40+ yr car shouldnt have any problems :rolleyes: Lol good luck on your search.

Ad says 69 but from the bumper And tailights looks like a 68..

Yep. I thought I put that in my post, but I guess the edit didnt take from my phone. If I had the money Id swoop it up... 4dr 68s are awesome!

to me it's always the rust issue, this is number #1 (really look underneath the car - jack it up, tire well - where the spare sits, floor pan, specially driver side, pull the carpet out#1.  Then engine/tranny #2), do a compression test. If the seller don't want you to do one, something is not right., does is shift right 3). Test drive to streets, freeway and hills, does it have pull or does it seem tired. 4). clear title? 5). ask for maintenance log and receipts.. a lot of guys will say been rebuilt or new carb or change oil every 3 K, ask for receipts....6). is the seller willing to negotiate? If not not something is not right...I have had like over 20 cars and all that I bought were negotiable, even my 65 mustang fastback and current "blue 1971 Datsun 510.  Good luck.

Called the guy already....unfortunatly not quite right. He said "there's a few problems here and there..." Made me a little nervous, not gonna lie.

Oh thats right, I forgot a 40+ yr car shouldnt have any problems :rolleyes: Lol good luck on your search.

Well if he's saying that I would be nervous aswell, especially if you can't take a look at the car. Sure all old cars have problems but then again the 510 is necessarily the hardest car to work on  :rofl: And if he can't fix those problems he's either missing a chromosome or the "few problems" are a few big problems   

Well if he's saying that I would be nervous aswell, especially if you can't take a look at the car. Sure all old cars have problems but then again the 510 is necessarily the hardest car to work on  :rofl: And if he can't fix those problems he's either missing a chromosome or the "few problems" are a few big problems   

So youre telling me that every Datsun thats been sold over the years has been in perfect condition? Not likely. A few problems here and there could be weird light issues, door bushings suck, some surface rust, AKA not a perfect car. Any 40+ year old car thats not a complete restore will have some problems here and there. It looked like that car was owned by a Dealer lot which Im sure doesnt have much Datsun knowledge. What may be simple for you and I to fix may be hard for them because they do know have access to the right knowledge or parts. 

Unless the car sounded like an absolute wreck, I wouldnt have passed up on that. It seems like theres a ton of cars fitting the OPs description, but hes being too picky. People come here and do that all the time... I want only a 1968 Datsun, with no rust, original paint, has to be a 5spd, perfect interior, a runner, and within 15mi. of my house. Its not going to happen. 

Once again, its a 40yr old car. I understand people not wanted a pil of rust and they want it to run, but eventually you need to put on your big boy pants and make a decision. There are plenty of nice projects out there for a decent price. Find one, build it how you want it, and enjoy. 

• Like 1

I'll admit I'm picky. What makes it hardest is that lm not on that west coast like all of you. If I'm gonna be jumping through hoops to get the car here, then yea I'm gonna take the time to find the right one. Again, it's just a matter of time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.