*WTB Original Datsun 510*

I've been into 510's since 1990 and I've never seen an original window sticker in person...so unless you're finding a one owner car and that owner kept EVERYTHING, I would say not very likely.

9a7ae320.jpg

I've got the original invoice from the first owner when he bought the car back in '72; does that count? :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the original invoice from the first owner when he bought the car back in '72; does that count? :)

Me too. 'cept it was back in 1970.

and I should say used to.... I used to have it.

It's as good as gone now. (new owner gets it).

I'll admit I'm picky. What makes it hardest is that lm not on that west coast like all of you. If I'm gonna be jumping through hoops to get the car here, then yea I'm gonna take the time to find the right one. Again, it's just a matter of time.

You may have to go to the west coast and take time off or else how can you feel, drive, smell, touch, really see..different reality to "walk through" with cell phone.  If you are going to be picky as you say, then you should spend some time here in the West Side.  HArd to make that tough decision unless you test your perception or reality of your ideal car.

Or do like the guy who bought my previous car, he was in Australia and he had a friend of his (69fjwagon - Clayton) come up to look at my car and give him his perspective.  Hopefully you can find someone knowledgable and you can trust their opinion, so that will save you time and hassle.  I've done the same thing for pacificcoastdatsun (Mark) when looking at a wagon near me that he was interested, but being in San Diego couldn't just come up here to look at it.  At least that way you can save yourself a lot of trouble by having someone who knows what to look for give you a real perspective or even pictures of any areas of concern if the buyer doesn't post pictures of everything.  If they're near San Jose I'd be happy to do this for you :)

good point by having someone look at it but still won't be the same unless he drives it...and people view things differently.  I may see the car that has potential and datfan510 may see it as a P.O.S, nothing is real unless one experiences it himself, other than that it's all in our heads and virtual reality.  A good example, is trying to explain the taste difference between In and Out Burger and 5 guys burger to someone who never ate there.  They have to experience eating the burgers themselves then they can make up their mind which is better.  Buying a car, specially, a vintage Datsun 510 is very personable experience. 

good point by having someone look at it but still won't be the same unless he drives it...and people view things differently.  I may see the car that has potential and datfan510 may see it as a P.O.S, nothing is real unless one experiences it himself, other than that it's all in our heads and virtual reality.  A good example, is trying to explain the taste difference between In and Out Burger and 5 guys burger to someone who never ate there.  They have to experience eating the burgers themselves then they can make up their mind which is better.  Buying a car, specially, a vintage Datsun 510 is very personable experience. 

I agree, but speaking from a guy that's been told I have a 'high dollar' 510 (not my words btw), I tend to be pretty picky myself and I wouldn't be recommending a POS to anyone.  I'd be looking at things that the seller may not be covering in his ad, like rust in the usual spots, surface rust that doesn't show up on pictures, or obvious deficiencies that simply didn't make it to the ad or pictures.  I'm not suggesting someone else seeing the car for someone else is the best solution, and I did mention if he can trust that person's opinion.  It's better than nothing and I believe it is a good way to pass on the obvious junk and save overall time and hassle.  

Some people's junk is another's treasure. Even with other eyes, I'm picked as hell and have looked at cars for people just for them to knit pick something completely stupid. It's different for people who don't know the cars because they freak out on stuff that isn't a big deal and not on the stuff that matters, no matter how much they read.

I may know someone getting ready to sell theirs, very nice 72. Will only say if and when I know for sure

sure someone can weed out the good, the bad and the ugly for dat510fan but he still has to make that decision and test drive it. Somehow I think he knows that. He needs to experience it himself, people's taste are different.  I could be wrong but I though he said his budget is like $10K...with that said he could buy a nice one, not sure about the color he wants or how original it will be since most of us in this site expeirenced the hunt already.  I'm not even sure if he has even driven a Datsun 510, he may even be dissapointed because they are totally different than new cars. At any rate, we are all trying to help this guy out and hopefully he gets close to his dream car.

• Like 1

Why i prefer stock that i can leave stock, or do what i see fit. I dont trust other peoples handiwork unless they had it done at a known shop. Never cared for the (ive built hundreds of datsuns so know what im doing) how do you know what your doing if you havent had anyone around to tell you you have done something wrong ;) )

Again guys, after reading through this, I appreciate the help. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't trust Mario's (71dimer) word on one of these.

@racerx I wish I had $10k to spend. Lol I'm willing to pay cash but not that much. And I can't put a number out until I see the car. I don't want to back myself into a corner as I'm sure all of you can understand.

@danfiveten I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from with the whole stock thing. Btw, let me know about that friend's 510? ;)

I get it now...1) how much do you have to spend?  2). Are you willing to test drive your dream car to get enlighthened about what is in your head and what the reality is? 3). How's your mechanical ability and also fabrication skills? 4). will you have time/resources (i.e. garage, tools) to work on the car? 5). I know you mentioned that you work hard for your money and deserve to be picky, are you willing to buy a car that is not blue and not orig. L16 engine?  BTW what color blue because I think Datsun came with several versions....

Ive actually said early on in this thread that I am now really open to any original colors thrown at me and then choose from there. Throwing a number out there, though, can put me in a corner, so I'll deal with the seller when the time comes. And yes, I have enough skill, etc....but I'd like to start with a running decent car from the get-go, so that question seems somewhat irrelevant considering I've said it before.  :yawn:

we will..but maybe re-do what you are looking for under Wanted.  Be more specific...like min. rust, any color okay but prefer blue, like L-series motor trying to keep orig. but may be interested in KA or Sr set-up if okay..get it... :thumbup:

An original Blue 510 wanted?

Somebody have Leno-envy? Why not buy one and paint it blue.... seems easier

What are you doing filling an overseas request, how much you making off it?

An original Blue 510 wanted?

Somebody have Leno-envy? Why not buy one and paint it blue.... seems easier

What are you doing filling an overseas request, how much you making off it?

Well at this point, Im pretty much open to everything.....and leno-envy? Lmao this post was long before that  :rofl:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.