1972 521 Budget Build

Hi, this is my second topic, so please be easy on me.  :geek:

I've known about this truck for a few months, and the gentle recently told me it was for sale.  Went to today to go check it.  Mind you, I won't be buying this until tax returns, but I had to tell you guys ASAP. Lol. 

Here's the old thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/50516-soon-to-be-new-datsun-owner-midwest/

It is a '72 521 I believe, with an L16.  He also has another L18 in his garage for it. 

Onto the "OICS"!  :thumbup:

IMG_20121230_144738.jpg

IMG_20121230_144745.jpg

IMG_20121230_144753.jpg

IMG_20121230_144800.jpg

IMG_20121230_144807.jpg

Bed is pretty rough, but the entire truck is too.  Not TOO much rust. 

IMG_20121230_144914.jpg

The ol' work horse.  

IMG_20121230_144905.jpg

IMG_20121230_144901.jpg

Some of the photos are pretty redundant, but I wanted to make sure to get lots of OICS for you guys.

More to come. 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of OICS.

It was about 30-35 degrees when we went and looked at it, but the humidity made it feel a bit more comfortable.  So, he threw me the keys, and I pumped the pedal a few times;  BLAMMO.  Fired right up and started to idle great.   :thumbup:

This should be a very fun build. 

IMG_20121230_144822.jpg

IMG_20121230_144919.jpg

Front end suffered some damage, but it's an old work truck, it's bound to happen.  

IMG_20121230_144925.jpg

IMG_20121230_144937.jpg

Bit crappy picture, BUT, the motor was extremely dry.  I was very surprised.  B)

IMG_20121230_144944.jpg

Cool washer bag.  :thumbup:

IMG_20121230_145653.jpg

Paint chipping away and the old turquoise showing throw there on the top.  I believe the truck's been painted about 3 or 4 times.

IMG_20121230_145645.jpg

IMG_20121230_145557.jpg 

Passenger side frame. 

He's got lots of extra's for this truck:  Whole other parts truck, with another front end.  Front green fenders and hood for it.  Two extra motors that are untouched, two extra transmissions, and a third motor from Japan that's the L18.

Guy runs a small used-tire business, so he's willing to throw in an extra set too.  :w00t: Tons of stuff with this truck.

More OICS!  :thumbup:

IMG_20121230_145410.jpg

Rebuilt L18. 

IMG_20121230_145722.jpg

Beat to crap interior.  But, everything is fixable. 

IMG_20121230_145726.jpg

IMG_20121230_145731.jpg

What he did with his roof, pretty cool looking magnets. 

IMG_20121230_145740.jpg

The last picture for now, will be more soon;  after I buy it lol.

The shift was extremely loose.  In gear, it would sway about 3 to 4 inches from side to side. 

But, it's a great starting canvas for, what I believe, would be a really cool build.  :thumbup:

Well, the time has come to pose a question to all of you guys (anyone actually looking at this thread). 

I am at a crossroads - Should I get this beat up 521, lower it, and put around.  OR, get a Z, and have a lowered car that is peppier, and more fun to drive?

http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3479594678.html

I'm only 20, and I think the 280ZX would fit my "personality" a little bit better.  Being young, wild, and a little reckless.

What do you guys think?  Lots more aftermarket for the Z, but the 521 has that minitruck/rat style to it.  :confused:

Thanks!

Sometimes it seems like your by yourself, and it is kinda quiet, but we are out there, I suppose till you buy it, most of us will hold are tongues, and wait.

I personally am not a car guy, even though that was my first Datsun, a 67 roadster, but they are kinda expensive to buy parts for, so one was enough for me, then I bought a 71 datsun 521 truck, and everything was cheap for them, you could buy a great running L20b engine/dogleg 5 spd. transmission with a warranty for $400.00, now it's not so easy to find deals anymore from the wrecking yards, but you can still find good deals here.

The funny thing is that you can still get new/aftermarket parts for the 510, Z cars, the fairlady roadster, and the 620, but the 320/520/521 have been left out in the cold, so that is something to keep in mind.

You started this truck, correct?

If it runs and drives, and enough of it is there to be road worthy/legal, then I would buy it, as I have only been left on the side of the road by my 521 once and had to be hauled home on a flatbed, because of a dogleg 5 speed, otherwise I have limped home everytime, I don't know if the Z cars, and all the trucks manufactured after 1980 can say that.

In the end it is your decision to make, but you can buy aftermarket stuff for the other vehicles, but you pay, or you keep fixing the 521 with whatever you can find, till there is nothing to find anymore.  :lol:

Sometimes it seems like your by yourself, and it is kinda quiet, but we are out there, I suppose till you buy it, most of us will hold are tongues, and wait.

I personally am not a car guy, even though that was my first Datsun, a 67 roadster, but they are kinda expensive to buy parts for, so one was enough for me, then I bought a 71 datsun 521 truck, and everything was cheap for them, you could buy a great running L20b engine/dogleg 5 spd. transmission with a warranty for $400.00, now it's not so easy to find deals anymore from the wrecking yards, but you can still find good deals here.

The funny thing is that you can still get new/aftermarket parts for the 510, Z cars, the fairlady roadster, and the 620, but the 320/520/521 have been left out in the cold, so that is something to keep in mind.

You started this truck, correct?

If it runs and drives, and enough of it is there to be road worthy/legal, then I would buy it, as I have only been left on the side of the road by my 521 once and had to be hauled home on a flatbed, because of a dogleg 5 speed, otherwise I have limped home everytime, I don't know if the Z cars, and all the trucks manufactured after 1980 can say that.

In the end it is your decision to make, but you can buy aftermarket stuff for the other vehicles, but you pay, or you keep fixing the 521 with whatever you can find, till there is nothing to find anymore.  :lol:

The aftermarket/parts availability is what drew me towards the Z all of a sudden.  And the fact that it's a lot quicker, but that could be solved with a simple :rofl:  motor swap into the 521. (Z24/KA24 :thumbup: )

I think I could find a lot more uses out of the truck, and it would be a lot more fun trying to make the truck do what the Z can already.  I think that's 95% of all projects, the actual project.  Then 5% doing what it was made to do lol.  

Bunch of guys were giving me shit about it today, because they could all afford BRAND NEW 2013 V6 MOOSTANGS.  Wooptydoo for them, lol.

Get insurance quotes for the 521, and the z car. 

That might make the decision for you.

z -car= more cool.

521 = more practical.

Yes, I will be doing that in the morning.  Probably will be cheaper for the truck, and the truck can be tagged as an antique a lot easier, too. Thank you.  :thumbup:

I extremely appreciate this feedback.  B)

Young and reckless with a old light rear ended  truck could spell flipped in a ditch somewhere. At least the Z is a newer and a wee bit safe,r even though is has a bit more power. Your girlfriends will like the z better in most cases unless of course you two met on Ratsun. get a truck as a second project/weekend ride until you slow down a bit.

You gotta first finish to finish first right?

Sometimes vintage costs more... I had the same coverage on a 85 MR2 and a 70 521 and the mr2 was less... maybe it was the fact a mr has all disc and 521 all drum...

Of maybe the insurance company felt bad cause u were rolling a senior duece what was orange ...lol

Soon it won't matter cause after your first datsun the rest aren't bantered about there just bought site and unseen... Your comparing apples to oranges it's like comparing a hammer to a spoon.. One will feed u and one will facilitate building a fence or bashing heads in....

Soon it won't matter cause after your first datsun the rest aren't bantered about there just bought site and unseen... Your comparing apples to oranges it's like comparing a hammer to a spoon.. One will feed u and one will facilitate building a fence or bashing heads in....

Lol, pretty good point.  

Young and reckless with a old light rear ended  truck could spell flipped in a ditch somewhere. At least the Z is a newer and a wee bit safe,r even though is has a bit more power. Your girlfriends will like the z better in most cases unless of course you two met on Ratsun. get a truck as a second project/weekend ride until you slow down a bit.

You gotta first finish to finish first right?

Problem with having more than one project is that I don't have a garage to begin with.  Nice thing about the 521 is that it's a running and driving project.  Drive it to the shop at work, work on it, then drive it home. 

But, eventually, I could see myself owning several Datsuns.  Why stop at one?  :thumbup:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sometimes vintage costs more... I had the same coverage on a 85 MR2 and a 70 521 and the mr2 was less... maybe it was the fact a mr has all disc and 521 all drum...

Collector car insurance is hella cheap my 1978 trans am 127.00 a year Full cverage $0 deductable agreed value of 14K I can olny assume my 521 will be cheaper than that I will find out when I get the title work done and actually insure it!