What the heck is this in my block?

Lonestar

Tearing down my L16 for rebuild and I found this screen hiding under a plate in the Crank area, is this part of the engine or is it something you do to help oil filtering?

IMAG0845_zps9096b993.jpg

IMAG0847_zps903d3fb8.jpg

Also, would it be better to have the block powered coated before or after I send it to the machine shop?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In this picture,

pcv03.JPG

There is a small tube with a bend that comes off the main crankcase tube.  In 1971, Datsun used this tube as part of the evaporative emission system.

Both the PCV and the Evaporative Emission system do not cause the engine to lose any horsepower, and in fact can potentially increase your fuel economy.

The PCV system can also help reduce oil leaks from the engine, because it causes the crankcase to be at a slight vacuum during engine operation.

If you do find a used one, make sure it fits. If they are too loose, you might want to use some 2 part epoxy or at least some good silicone to help hold it in.

If you don't want to run the PCV system, you could always "T" the valve cover breather and the block breather together and run the T to the air cleaner housing. This doesn't produce the same results as a complete PCV system, but it does pull a vacuum. I do this when I don't want a PCV.

It's not for PCV - that was tacked on later.

The block needs ventilation.

Datsun A-engines had these tubes before they added the PCV system in 1970. At that time they used the block vent to connect the PCV valve. Previously they just dumped crankcase air out the tube, curved down to the bottom of the oil pan. It smelled and let oil fumes in the cabin every time you stopped.

With no tube hooked up and just a gaping hole, there's a good chance you smell like oil after driving your car ...

Mine hasnt been hooked up since July.

Was at work, and a customers car needed a hose, tada the one on my car was perfect.

Then I switched intakes, and gotta find new hose.

I dont smell oil in my car. Course then again, my engine is freshly rebuilt.

It's not for PCV - that was tacked on later.

The block needs ventilation.

Datsun A-engines had these tubes before they added the PCV system in 1970. At that time they used the block vent to connect the PCV valve. Previously they just dumped crankcase air out the tube, curved down to the bottom of the oil pan. It smelled and let oil fumes in the cabin every time you stopped.

With no tube hooked up and just a gaping hole, there's a good chance you smell like oil after driving your car ...

That's why I hook to the air cleaner. The small amount of vacuum produced helps pull the fumes and vapors back into the motor and out the exhaust.

***Note*** If you haven't had this breather system hooked up and then decide to run it to PCV, you may have a tough time tuning the motor. Often times, the oil gets contaminated with blow by fuel and when hooked up to PCV, this extra fuel vapor is burned off. With no PCV there can be a buildup of fuel vapor in the oil which can make the motor run a bit rich, until it burns off.

I would do an oil change at the same time to minimize this possibility.