Should I do it?

I'm sure there's been plenty of threads like this, just want opinions.

Looking to trade my Miata (probably sell for about $5k) for this:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/3453331318.html

He's willing to put $600 on top. I can get the rust treated, and the car painted for $750 (quality work).

My dad owns an automotive shop, so I'm sure I can fix the stalling issue fairly easily. I've read up on what to look for when checking it out.

Is this a good deal?

Are bumpers really that hard and expensive to find?

All opinions welcome! Thanks! :)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miata's are plentiful and depreciating, 510's getting hard to find and rising in value. 10 years from now what will you wish you had done? Do that.

If it's a long term purchase then getting a good deal is less important if the result will make you happier in the long term.

• Like 1

My brother took an autobody class, and he knows how to weld. I'm sure if I get the supplies, we could do it. I just figure I'm going to get it painted anyways, I don't think he's charging me extra for rust treatment.

I might also add that the guy is meeting halfway, so I know it can drive a decent distance.

I think the true question is how much is your miata worth to you? If you're posting this then you are already entertaining the notion. Here in Alabama that 510 would probably be worth $4500 but in Cali i'm not sure. If bumpers is what's holding you back that's not enough imo. You can just get fiberglass ones. And technically it would be $3900.

Miata's are plentiful and depreciating, 510's getting hard to find and rising in value. 10 years from now what will you wish you had done? Do that.

If it's a long term purchase then getting a good deal is less important if the result will make you happier in the long term.

This.

Take the 510 for a long drive even offer to buy him some gas, to see how it runs or over heats, or dies even when driving,, , if owner doesn`t want to then i would pass .. IMO,,The miata is a 100% safer car if in a wreck ,,even if it is a convertable..

Ad mentions coil overs but doesn`t say they are zx struts with the  bigger zx brakes.