I DID IT!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im not trying to sound like an asshole,but i keep sayin there are no datsuns here. i mean,there are NO datsuns here. with in an 60 mile radius i've seen maybe 3 z cars and one 521 (about 2 years ago) that was turned into a tuff truck then rolled over and sent to the scrap yard. they just do not exist here and neither do the parts. thats most of the reason its getting turned into such a mutt. if i had the motor and trans with the truck i would have looked into rebuilding it,but i dont so its time to move on to the next best option for me. every single thread theres always saying "its your truck,build it how you want" so thats what im doing

So I googled Corning CA, and came up with a zip code of 96021.

Used this page.

http://www.picknpull.com/check_inventory.aspx?Address=96021&Lat=39.899491&Lng=-122.220007&Make=Datsun&Model=Pickup&Distance=100

And found two yards within 50 miles, and four yards within 100 miles. Four Datsun pickups.

I did the same thing with my zip code, three yards within 20 miles, 14 Datsun pickups.

• Like 1

Used this page.

http://www.picknpull...up&Distance=100

And found two yards within 50 miles, and four yards within 100 miles. Four Datsun pickups.

I did the same thing with my zip code, three yards within 20 miles, 14 Datsun pickups.

You beat me to it Daniel. I was going to post that same site. stillachevyguy just do random searches as well on google. Sometimes you might hit the jackpot. I've been rebuilding (mostly cosmetically) my 210 and in doing random searches over the last few months I've found places with OEM stock even. Would be nice if all yards posted their inventory online but aside from the one Daniel posted I've only found 2 others that do but they're out here in SoCal. It's like a needle in a haystack with some of these models but be vigilant. The Datsun will present itself for you. Good luck with your build. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Used this page.

http://www.picknpull...up&Distance=100

I guarantee there are Datsuns. Other than the very obvious wrecking yards there are probably dozens sitting in back and side yards if not in garages out of sight. My job allows me some limited legal access to people's property so I get to see a lot of things. Take different routes home and cruise back alleys. Watch for any round headlights peeking out. Try behind body/repair shops for abandoned projects. Ask around so others can be aware and pass on tips. Put an ad in local papers... offer to pay(?) for them and removal. I got a running '79 Cutlass for the rims, windshield and lots more for my son's Cutlass goon, just for getting it out of there. Some people don't really want them but can't bear to sell to scrapper so convince them that you are crazy for Datsuns and will do something with it.

You guys have to keep in mind that what he needs isn't likely going to come out of a wrecking yard, when is the last time that anyone on Ratsun has bought a frame, or a complete engine from "pick and pull" for that matter, I did buy a frame out of the "u-pull-it" in boring oregon in like 2007, but that was a rare thing for me to do, but it had something I wanted to make work on it, disc brakes, a failed attempt, as that is why it was likely there, but I worked it out eventually.

As I said, what I did was drop my 521 extended cab on to a 1982 datsun 720 diesel frame, I also dropped a 1966 datsun 520 extended cab ute on to a 1986 nissan 720 kingcab frame, as long as your not trying to slam it on the ground it will work, so if you were able to find a nissan 720 regular cab/short box for sale on craigslist for cheap, or someone parting out a 720 reg. cab.short box frame, that would be the way I would go, if the yota frame will except the 521 cab without much hacking, then I would go that route, I can't say I would go with the V8 though, buick made a V6 back in the day that was a popular conversion, and that wouldn't be a wiring nightmare, but in the end, it is your project, but we have lots of advise, even if we don't follow it ourselves.

those arent datsuns,those are lies. i wanted a 521 or 620. i dont want to play with californias smog bs. im good friends with everyone at the local yard here and will likely get a yota running gear how i want it for less than $250. i've spent about a day and a half measuring both trucks. the yota is about 1/2 inch wider at the mounts,but i'll make it work. now do your little pick and pull thing and search for parts for an 89 2wd yota. i bet there is a big difference in availability

Ive been viewing this thread on my phone so I could never tell where you were located. By your conviction that there are zero Datsun parts I assumed you lived in Maine or Rhode Island... come to find out you live in California :blink:

California is like probably the highest concentration on Datsuns in the country. Im sure you could easily find something suitable if you put forth some effort. Get the truck home and situated and take care of some of the body/interior issues while youre looking for a good frame and engine. Im sure it will come up. Or you can get someone to meet you halfway that does have one for sale. It would probably be cheaper in both time, effort, and money than these non-Datsun swaps youre trying to accomplish.

Totally.

those arent datsuns,those are lies. i wanted a 521 or 620. i dont want to play with californias smog bs. im good friends with everyone at the local yard here and will likely get a yota running gear how i want it for less than $250. i've spent about a day and a half measuring both trucks. the yota is about 1/2 inch wider at the mounts,but i'll make it work. now do your little pick and pull thing and search for parts for an 89 2wd yota. i bet there is a big difference in availability

So if you put 'Yota running gear in won't you still have to smog the '89 motor? and what are you going to get for $250?

spent a couple hours diggin this thing out yesterday,after i got it cleared away (for the most part) i noticed that the back of the frame was pretty cherry. but then i noticed it has an aluminum 3rd member. wtf is that about? i never dealt with datsuns,but im assuming this is a sought after piece. am i right? or is it just a factory thing?

Photo-0377_zps8acfb22b.jpg

Photo-0383_zps20f18960.jpg

Photo-0384_zpscd71fb73.jpg

Photo-0370.jpeg

Don't throw that set of gauges away, as it likely has amber turn signal indicators, no 521 has amber, they all have green indicators.

If the only thing wrong with the gauges is the glass is broken, I will send you a good one in trade with green turn indicator lights for yours if they are in fact amber/yellow.