Carrier bearing issues

socaldatsun

So I'm swapping a ka24e into my 72 pick up and I wanted to use the 240sx drive shaft since "we'll I think" it's stronger and will hold up to a little more beating. I am going to have the drive shaft cut and lengthen but I was woundering what will have to be done about the carrier bearing? Can it be relocated by a few inches do fit the stock xmember?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I still have both the 521 shaft and the 240. The 240 is way thicker then the 521 so commons sence to use that one. I've read a lot of threads about ka 620 builds but never come along to what they did for a drive shaft. This would be my last part to have "everything" to have it running if everything works out: wiring, and radiator clearance.

Because a 521 drive shaft is two short sections, It does not need to be as large of a diameter as the 240-Z drive shaft. Another issue s the 521 drive shaft turns at a higher RPM than the 240-Z, because the 521 rear axle ratio is lower, (higher numerically)

I would leave the carrier bearing where it is. Shorten the front half of the 521 drive shaft, and put a yoke on the front end of the that shaft to match the transmission on the KA24-E.

I used these guys to do shorten the front half of a 521 drive shaft when I put a Z-car five speed in my 521.

http://www.driveshafts.com/ That is for you PDX Ratsun people.

I am sure you can a drive line shop in the LAX area.

• Like 1

. I've read a lot of threads about ka 620 builds but never come along to what they did for a drive shaft.

I just used my stock 620 shaft in my swap. I would have had to shorten it to fit the stock 240sx transmission, so I used a 720 transmission that was the same length as the stock 620 transmission.

• 2 weeks later...